third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA - Page 2 - Honda-Tech

third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA

Old 04-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #26
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chiquito)

According to the Honda Tech line who I spoke to yesterday, the dealerships have final say on if they will warrantly claim this and apply the TSB fix. They (Honda Tech line) said that they (the dealership) offically will decide what to do if they can replicate the issue or not.

So if the dealer can't duplicate it, they technically have the right, to not apply the TSB. But I went to Pacific Honda here in San Diego, and they couldn't duplicate the issues, but was nice enough to apply the TSB fix anyways. So again, up to the dealers. Honestly since this TSB is officially out, which I printed and brought with me when I checked my Si in, they were cool. They're service advisors seemed like they really wanted to help me, but stay within bounds of their rules. They recommended I leave my car over night, so that way they can test it at 7:00am to make sure it doesn't even have a chance to warm up. That way there would be a greater chance of them duplicating the issue. Suffice it to say, come 7:00am, and some time afterwards, Pacific Honda still couldn't duplicate the issue. They said they get their best tech, Nick Ruiz to work on the issue. No duplication was possible at their attemps.

Overall, this TSB worked for me as they couldn't duplicate the problem, but are fixing it anyways once I send it in on Monday after all the parts are in stock for the TSB fix.

Modified by Sasebonian at 11:07 PM 4/17/2008

Modified by Sasebonian at 11:10 PM 4/17/2008
Sasebonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #27

Default Re: (Sasebonian)

Looks like ill be giving Honda of Escondido a call tomorrow reguarding this TSB. About time
CRXone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #28
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Yeah, I just got the call from my dealership, they said they couldn't replicate the issue - despite the fact that mine falls within the VIN range (2007 si sedan).

They said if they can't replicate the issue, they can't fix it.

I kinda wish I had one of the worse ones... I mean, isn't it possible that this will only get worse as time goes on, and eventually, possibly fall out of warranty before they can duplicate it?
djarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #29
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: Re: (djarch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarch
isn't it possible that this will only get worse as time goes on, and eventually, possibly fall out of warranty before they can duplicate it?
5 years/ 60k? if it's a problem worthy of fixing, it'll definitely show itself before then!
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #30
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (builthatch)

basically to cut my whole story short. ive been through 3 different dealerships and all of them could not replicate the 3rd gear problem. ive been at the dealerships (all three) different times hence i get my oil done and do minor check ups and ask them to check out the problem. all of them say they could not replicate the issue. ehh, hopefully they call a recall of some sort for this issue. its rather annoying buying a damn 20k car with problems to deal with already! this is so complicating. and also it sucks because paying for warranty on a new vehicle is not as cheap people may think it is or as it may seem. i hope they come out with a recall for everyone then it would make everyones day a lot more worry free and everyone can all have a or maybe
knaira112387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 AM   #31

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (knaira112387)

Indeed
siboii08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:07 AM   #32
Honda-Tech Member

seems like everyone lost hope in this TSB.. no one is responding because nothing is being done by dealerships cus they can still basically choose whether or not to fix the car
Old 04-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #33
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (knaira112387)

that's what a TSB is....it's not a recall. unfortunately, alot of these cars have the problem, but not all of them. if your car really does have the problem, it'll show itself during testing. go for a drive with them, insist you drive the car, etc.

anyway-

the TSB is a supplement to the service manual regarding troubleshooting and solving an ISSUE that has presented itself during the time after the troubleshooting manual was printed. a problem has to be found by someone of merit in order for all the time and money to be spent to fix it. if you do not have an issue they can duplicate, there is no need to follow the steps in the TSB. yes, the vehiicle could fall into a range stated on the TSB, but that merely means that if it does have the issue, then they know why and how to fix it because cars within those ranges have been purported to have said issue. we all know that is true, but for them to know to fix your car, it's gotta do it when they try it.

i don't know why you would say anyone has lost hope in anything. my parts came in on thursday and my car will probably go in next week, if it's convenient for me.

keep in mind the TSB came out just a week ago...

Old 04-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #34
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (builthatch)

You can't say that. Not everybody has worse 3rd gear problem. Like me, mine does show it, but then not all the time so it's hard for the "timing" to be right when a mechanic test drive it. i brought mine to the dealership but they said the same thing, could not replicate the problem. the mechanic has to feel it b4 they fix it. however, some doesnt show the problem that often so it's really unfair. even if you leave the car overnight for them to test drive it in the next morning. they may not feel it at that time either. the TSB says you can feel it better when it's cold weather, but you really can't say that for every cars that has 3rd gear problem.
xitrumd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #35
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (xitrumd02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xitrumd02
You can't say that. Not everybody has worse 3rd gear problem. Like me, mine does show it, but then not all the time so it's hard for the "timing" to be right when a mechanic test drive it. i brought mine to the dealership but they said the same thing, could not replicate the problem. the mechanic has to feel it b4 they fix it. however, some doesnt show the problem that often so it's really unfair. even if you leave the car overnight for them to test drive it in the next morning. they may not feel it at that time either. the TSB says you can feel it better when it's cold weather, but you really can't say that for every cars that has 3rd gear problem.
then you have to keep trying. call/go to different dealerships. see who knows a service writer or tech, etc. that is just how it works. it's always been like that, and most likely it always will.

do you know what would happen if the car companies had to order recalls for every service problem, and/or believe the owner when it came down to whether or not the car was doing something that is specifically detailed in a TSB? our hondas would be over $30k because so much money would be spent tearing things down and replacing things, they would have to make that money up somewhere to pay for all the free parts and labor paid to the dealers. it would be craziness...

just keep trying if it truly is an issue for your unit.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #36
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch

then you have to keep trying. call/go to different dealerships. see who knows a service writer or tech, etc. that is just how it works. it's always been like that, and most likely it always will.

do you know what would happen if the car companies had to order recalls for every service problem, and/or believe the owner when it came down to whether or not the car was doing something that is specifically detailed in a TSB? our hondas would be over $30k because so much money would be spent tearing things down and replacing things, they would have to make that money up somewhere to pay for all the free parts and labor paid to the dealers. it would be craziness...

just keep trying if it truly is an issue for your unit.
a thing though of what you said.. the parts arent uneccessarily free because we basically pay for it through "warranty" and the warranty itself pretty much discloses the fact that we are paying for what "supposively" it will cover.. the 3rd gear is pretty much a defect and should be replaced anyway because we are still paying for warranty. if you get what im saying... if you dont knwo anyone in the service tech/writer part you're pretty much takin so much time while everyone is just going to deny you.. like i said from my previous post i went through 3 dealerships already numerous times.. every single time.. I CANT REPLICATE THE PROBLEM.. which is bs because the 3rd gear issue happens quite often for me.. im getting to the point where its rather irritating..

what im going to try and do thought is change my shift **** back to the stock **** hence its lighter and you can have a little more feel when shifting gears other than having my circuit hero **** being a heavily weighted **** having shifting gears with out forcing it.. well see what happens hopefully it all works out..
Old 04-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #37
MiG-21 superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaira112387

a thing though of what you said.. the parts arent uneccessarily free because we basically pay for it through "warranty" and the warranty itself pretty much discloses the fact that we are paying for what "supposively" it will cover.. the 3rd gear is pretty much a defect and should be replaced anyway because we are still paying for warranty. if you get what im saying... if you dont knwo anyone in the service tech/writer part you're pretty much takin so much time while everyone is just going to deny you.. like i said from my previous post i went through 3 dealerships already numerous times.. every single time.. I CANT REPLICATE THE PROBLEM.. which is bs because the 3rd gear issue happens quite often for me.. im getting to the point where its rather irritating..

what im going to try and do thought is change my shift **** back to the stock **** hence its lighter and you can have a little more feel when shifting gears other than having my circuit hero **** being a heavily weighted **** having shifting gears with out forcing it.. well see what happens hopefully it all works out..
hmm, i'm not entirely sure i understand your post, however...

i can suggest that you try to contact your area honda rep. call the dealership you like the most and get contact info for the honda rep for your area. call them (don't write, no offense but writing isn't your strong suit), and talk to them about this issue you are having, both with the car and the repeated failure to replicate.

i think you might have some recourse that way.

good luck!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #38
Honda-Tech Member

Default Update on TSB fix for me...

Update, 04/21/08. Service said they need my car another day to finish the TSB fix. They didn't get started on it until later in the day (supposedly). That's fine. As long as they get everything done properly, I can wait another day.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #39
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:

hmm, i'm not entirely sure i understand your post, however...

i can suggest that you try to contact your area honda rep. call the dealership you like the most and get contact info for the honda rep for your area. call them (don't write, no offense but writing isn't your strong suit), and talk to them about this issue you are having, both with the car and the repeated failure to replicate.

i think you might have some recourse that way.

good luck!
non-taken. you would think typing correctly in a forum would matter anyway ;p anywho.. im in an advance writing class in college but all the effort in correcting it on forums isnt necessary ;p hahah but yeah i will continue to keep trying immean im paying for warranty for a reason.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #40

Well i have a 07 civic si with only 1300 miles on it, so far so good haven't had any problem's with my 3rd gear as of yet, and i hope it stays that way. Cross my fingers, but it really sucks to read all the trouble you guys are going through to get that problem fixed.
MrProF3ssional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #41
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrProF3ssional)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProF3ssional
Well i have a 07 civic si with only 1300 miles on it, so far so good haven't had any problem's with my 3rd gear as of yet, and i hope it stays that way. Cross my fingers, but it really sucks to read all the trouble you guys are going through to get that problem fixed.
wells, mine doesn't really show that often but it does. so it really annoys me. i mean, even if it rarely happens, it still bothers me. And of course, we're paying warranty for something right? i'll bring it to the dealership again tomorrow.
xitrumd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #42
Honda-Tech Member

Update: 04/24/08

Got the car back from Pacific Honda after the applied the 3rd gear TSB. 3rd gear feels AWESOME!

- No notchiness or "Wall block" effect when I shift into 3rd
- 3rd feels like other gears now.
- No 3rd gear grinds... yet. (Will drive more to see if the grinds happen again)
Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 AM   #43

You didn't have to pay anything? (sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, don't have time)

Can you simply tell the dealership that you're in to have the 3rd gear issue fixed?

How long did it take? Does Honda put you in a rental?
CivicSi707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #44
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (CivicSi707)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicSi707
(sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, don't have time)
haha, that's ridiculous. if you don't have time to read the thread, it's odd to ask people to reiterate what might already be there with their time. it's not like you have to read a novel OR you have find this info out before you board the space shuttle this evening.

anyway,

1. they have to replicate it
2. typically 2 days
3. depends on the service writer OR if you have a Honda Care plan

Old 04-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #45
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
it's not like you have to read a novel OR you have find this info out before you board the space shuttle this evening.

"*static* Honda we have a problem..over."
2008fijibluesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #46

Sorry to hear I am concerned about my car, but do not have a lot of extra time to research.

Nice to hear you're 6'4, 326lbs. Is that all muscle or fat? Just curious. Off to 8thcivic I go. That's Honda-tech for ya.
CivicSi707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #47
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (CivicSi707)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicSi707
Sorry to hear I am concerned about my car, but do not have a lot of extra time to research.

Nice to hear you're 6'4, 326lbs. Is that all muscle or fat? Just curious. Off to 8thcivic I go. That's Honda-tech for ya.
you have time to ask me about my personal specs and attempt to poke fun, but not enough to read the thread? you care about your car, but can't invest 3 minutes to scan a freakin' thread about the issue.

all anyone wants around here is practical respect, ie. don't be lazy and expect other people to compensate. maybe on the other forum everyone is a-ok with the same questions being asked because everyone is 'too busy to read threads', but it's not here...

so, if that is your internet style, good riddance.

Modified by builthatch at 2:18 PM 4/28/2008
Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #48
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:

you have time to ask me about my personal specs and attempt to poke fun, but not enough to read the thread? you care about your car, but can't invest 3 minutes to scan a freakin' thread about the issue.

all anyone wants around here is practical respect, ie. don't be lazy and expect other people to compensate. maybe on the other forum everyone is a-ok with the same questions being asked because everyone is 'too busy to read threads', but it's not here...

so, if that is your internet style, good riddance.

Modified by builthatch at 2:18 PM 4/28/2008
thats why im not offended by your response.. we all have to learn from peoples responses one way or another..
Old 04-30-2008, 04:37 AM   #49

Took mine in and they couldn't replicate it... Bastards!!
omega1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #50
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (omega1n)

the "impossible-to-find" bolt set detailed on the TSB has been located, and the car goes in on Monday at Rossi Honda in Vineland, NJ for the service.