Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Stuck Tensioner Bolt on a 06' Civic.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Tensioner Bolt on a 06' Civic.

Hey guys,
looking for some assistance or opinions on what the hell I need to do to get this pin out. At first I used a 8mm hex socket and immediately stripped it. Spent a few hours afterward pounding a torque bit into it to create new threads in hopes to bite and stripped that too. Purchased an extractor kit to pound into the thing and as you might guess, broke one off in the POS. So, had a mutual friend come over with a Mig welder and he tried to weld a Torque bit in and failed. For the last 3 hours I've been trying to drill the weld out and maybe create a new hole for an extractor or just drill the head of the bolt off entirely to remove the tensioner bracket. This was supposed to be a water pump replacement and I've been on it for 3 f*****g days!
Old 11-17-2016, 08:50 AM
W95 gives me a hard-on

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stuck Tensioner Bolt on a 06' Civic.

Originally Posted by KaiJonesy
Hey guys,
looking for some assistance or opinions on what the hell I need to do to get this pin out. At first I used a 8mm hex socket and immediately stripped it. Spent a few hours afterward pounding a torque bit into it to create new threads in hopes to bite and stripped that too. Purchased an extractor kit to pound into the thing and as you might guess, broke one off in the POS. So, had a mutual friend come over with a Mig welder and he tried to weld a Torque bit in and failed. For the last 3 hours I've been trying to drill the weld out and maybe create a new hole for an extractor or just drill the head of the bolt off entirely to remove the tensioner bracket. This was supposed to be a water pump replacement and I've been on it for 3 f*****g days!
I feel you pan bro. The tensioner on mine was busted, so I bought a whole kit with the bracket. I couldnt get the bolt out so I was lucky enough to just be able to replace the pulley and tensioner. I would try to weld a hex head from a screw to it. Try to lower the engine a bit so you can access to the bolt by the wheel well if you havent done that already. Hit it with an impact wrench as to tightening and then reversing it.