Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (rolow)

It shouldnt affect the weight sensor or the airbags, but Im not a Honda engineer so take that for what its worth. According to my Honda engineer buddy who gave me this fix, the three wires that we are dealing with only tell the computer whether or not the seat belt is buckled. By shorting pin 1 to pin 3 and leaving pin 2 open, you are doing exactly the same thing, electrically, as plugging in the seat belt. There is no difference. Pin 1 is normally open, pin 2 is normally closed (to ground), and pin 3 is ground. When you plug in the seatbelt, you close pn one to ground and open pin 2. This tells the car that the belt in plugged in and is exactly what we are doing with this modification. I would love to hear any feedback from anyone else who has done this. Mine works great!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (rolow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rolow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it shouldn't go off at all under a set mph or when the e-brake is on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will chime once you go over 7mph
Old 10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (Kidnkorner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kidnkorner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It will chime once you go over 7mph</TD></TR></TABLE>

well then there is something wrong with mine because it goes off with the car stopped and the e brake on.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (Pegtech)

u have pics? i dont get what to jump?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (WhiteEJCoupe)

Sorry no pictures. Find the connector under the seat as I described, with the red, green, and black wires on one side of the connector and red, yellow, and black wires on the other side of the connector. Unplug the connector. One side of the connector, with the red, green, and black wires, will remain attached to the underside of the seat. If you look into this connector you will see that it is the male half as it has three pins that protrude inside of it. This is the side that has wires going to the seatbelt receptacle. The connector that you unplug will be the female half and has three metal slots inside of it that the three male pins were plugged into. With the battery disconnected, use a one or two inch piece of wire with the ends striped off and plug one end of the wire into the metal slot with the red wire and the other end of the wire into the slot with the black wire. What you are doing is connecting the green wire to the black wire. Tape over the whole deal to keep the wire from falling out and you are all set. Reconnect the battery and away you go. Hope this is more clear.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (Pegtech)

Working on hondas all day long, I can barely even tell there is a beeping anymore. I think my brain filters out the noise. I also do not agree with people not wearing there seat belts. So buckle up, but this site is a tech forum so the information should be available to anyone that is dumb enough to not want to wear there seatbelt so that way natural selection can take its course and all the dumb people can be killed in car accidents!!!
Where were you when I needed a write up to swap factory cruise control into my ek!!!! You should apply your knowledge to something that could benefit somebody.

just kidding do what ever you want!!! Its a free country after all
Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (kine462)

thanks my man...yes it is more clear now
Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure

Pegtech,

Hey I wired my seat belt circuit as you posted -- the chime is gone -- but the problem is when I start my car, the airbag light stays on -- so I'm guessing a front aribag was disabled.

Any way to disable the chime and keep the airbag on? Anything your engineer buddy can suggest?

Thanks man
Old 01-04-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by rackemwilly
Pegtech,

Hey I wired my seat belt circuit as you posted -- the chime is gone -- but the problem is when I start my car, the airbag light stays on -- so I'm guessing a front aribag was disabled.

Any way to disable the chime and keep the airbag on? Anything your engineer buddy can suggest?

Thanks man
This thread is awsome! Is that your passenger airbag? I did this to my si and it quit beepen at me but my passenger airbag light stays on unless someone sits in the passenger seat. Which i guess is a plus if u get into a accident (god forbide you do) but its one less thing to fix.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pegtech
I take responsibility for my own actions and not for the actions of others. Also, just think of all the people who wont be killing themselves because of that annoying BEEP BEEP BEEP.
amen to that brother!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Honda added the beep to the new Civics so it can have a higher safety rating in its class. I know in the State of Arizona, not wearing a seatbelt is considered a 'secondary violation', which means you can NOT be pulled over solely for NOT wearing your seatbelt. You need to either have an equipment violation for your vehicle or commit a moving violation, i.e. fail to stop for stop sign or red light, or no turn signal, etc.
I guess the State of Arizona has some faith in Arizona drivers to wear their seatbelts and people who visit from other states, since they would have to obey Arizona laws when in the state.
Point is, just wear your seatbelt, and the government is not completely out to get you!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pegtech
So, I contacted a buddy of mine who is an engineer at Honda and asked him for the fix...
Who is this buddy of yours? I have some technical questions.

This is a good DIY by the way. I hate that sound on my 06 Si, but I have always put my seatbelt on before turning on the ignition.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this would help with the procedure of installing aftermarket seats.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:47 PM

I just broke a stick off a pen cap stuck it in the buckle and thats it.. No more beeping, i learned that when i had my ep3
Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ironworker
This thread is awsome! Is that your passenger airbag? I did this to my si and it quit beepen at me but my passenger airbag light stays on unless someone sits in the passenger seat. Which i guess is a plus if u get into a accident (god forbide you do) but its one less thing to fix.
I don't know -- my owners manual says the lights means front and / or side bags disabled.

I'm keeping it plugged in like original for now -- I would love the luxury of not hearing that darn beep but I'm not sure about driving around with a faulty airbag circuit.

WOULD BE COOL TO FIND OUT HOW TO DO THE OP'S PROCEDURE AND STILL KEEP THE AIRBAGS ENABLED!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by rackemwilly
I don't know -- my owners manual says the lights means front and / or side bags disabled.

I'm keeping it plugged in like original for now -- I would love the luxury of not hearing that darn beep but I'm not sure about driving around with a faulty airbag circuit.

WOULD BE COOL TO FIND OUT HOW TO DO THE OP'S PROCEDURE AND STILL KEEP THE AIRBAGS ENABLED!!!!!!!
i did this to both driver and passenger seats,the jump... and the passenger airbag light is on but only when nobody is in it...It also shuts off when you have 20-60 lbs in it for saftey reasons its in you owners manual.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
New User

Regarding free choice: A reminder chime is ok. A harsh sound that never stops because you don't have your seat belt on is too much. A car you chose to pay a lot of money for shouldn't punish you. YOU own IT. If you care about your health you should buckle up, but in the end it's my choice.

Anyway, the beeper is located inside the lower instrument cluster, the one with the tach. If you want to remove it, pull down the left knee panel, and remove the screw which secures the upper panel. Pop off the upper panel, mind the mirror buttons and related connectors.

Remove the 3 instrument cluster screws and disconnect the plug. Remove the cluster. The beeper is under the rearmost cover. Unfasten the clips all around, and the one in the middle. Take off the back cover and theres the circuitboard. DON'T try to remove this board, the tach needle is holding it in place. The beeper is the round blue thing with the hole in the center.

If you aren't sure you have the right one, plug it back in and put your finger over it to see if the sound is muted. I just twisted it back and forth till it broke off. Put it back together and enjoy the silence.

BTW.. If your belt is unbuckled, a reminder will still flash in the panel, so +1 for safety and good riddance to that unbearable noise. If you want the light to go out, (and not actually buckle) you can do the wire splicing thing or get a buckle from a salvage yard to stick in there to kill the light.

Also.. keep in mind this chime is also the one which reminds you the headlights are on, so you will lose that feature.

*NOTE* Obviously do this at your own risk. ALSO.. I think the advanced airbag system deploys the airbags with several different levels of force, and uses a higher force when the seatbelts are buckled. If they deploy at this higher force while you aren't wearing a seatbelt, but the car thinks you are, you could sustain injury from colliding with the airbag itself. It's up to you. Your car, your life.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't have a problem doing this to my seat since I always put my belt on regardless of any frustrating reminder, but I would leave the pass. seat alone since I tend to freak out and bitch when my passengers don't wear their seatbelt
Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
New User

Icon3 Re: Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure

But don't you know seatbelts save lives?

LoL, seriously. There has to be a way to modify or reverse engineer the logic used for the seatbelt notification. Obviously, the car should wait until at least YOU TAKE THE CAR OUT OF PARK or DISENGAGE THE E-BRAKE.

There is no safety reason that god damn beeper needs to be blaring in your ear at 120db the moment you turn the car on.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 AM

nice DIY my only question is where does that yellow wire go
Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure (Pegtech)

Originally Posted by RICO_
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pegtech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
While wearing a seatbelt 100% of the time is certainly the smart thing to do, as I ALWAYS do, I believe that freedom means the freedom to be stupid, as long as you take responsibility for yourself, and as long as you are not hurting or endangering anyone else. If you dont want to wear your seatbelt, then dont! But if you have a child in the car with you, then by all means, set a good example and wear it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That siren is there for a reason. Some people naturally get in the car and start driving and maybe have alot on their mind and forget to put on the seatbelt. That's why it goes off..........as a reminder.

You don't condone NOT wearing a seatbelt....but yet you've just supplied an easier means for motivating people not to wear it. While I respect your post and the fact that you're just trying to help other members.....I don't agree with your decision to show people how to bypass the siren. That's just giving them an excuse to either intentionally not wear it or to accidentally forget to put it on.

The sheer force generated on a human body from an instant stop from 60+ mph is absolutely incredible. And it can seriously f**k you up and most likely kill you. Yes the airbags are there.....but without the seatbelt you're literally nothing but a ping pong ball inside the car.

That's why in my own personal opinion I would never condone not wearing a seatbelt NOR supplying the means to aid someone else in disabling a major safety feature warning.
Wow that's a mouth full, how about this Honda-Nerd... This by-pass has other advantages aswell, not just so people can drive around without a seatbelt (oh and if they want to let, the world would be better suited without all the stupid people who are left to live anyway). For example, my civic has the automatic shoulder belts... the track is broken on the passenger side (yes the seatbelt works and locks fine, so the motor doesn't force the buckle into the proper place to trip the little metal plate and STOP THE BEEPING, so it beeps anytime the keys are in the ignition. Without the help of nice people, I would have had to listen to that beeping ALL DAY/NIGHT long, even when I don't even have a passenger in the seat.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990CivicSedan
Wow that's a mouth full, how about this Honda-Nerd... This by-pass has other advantages aswell, not just so people can drive around without a seatbelt (oh and if they want to let, the world would be better suited without all the stupid people who are left to live anyway). For example, my civic has the automatic shoulder belts... the track is broken on the passenger side (yes the seatbelt works and locks fine, so the motor doesn't force the buckle into the proper place to trip the little metal plate and STOP THE BEEPING, so it beeps anytime the keys are in the ignition. Without the help of nice people, I would have had to listen to that beeping ALL DAY/NIGHT long, even when I don't even have a passenger in the seat.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Road House

Default Re: Seatbelt Chime (av911)

Originally Posted by rolow
This doesn't have any affect on the airbags or weight sensor does it?

Every day that seat belt chime kills me from my mail box to my house. 10 mph and 8 speed bumps so i don't put on my seat belt.
When I pull up to my mail box i take the car out of gear and start to apply the brakes then take off my seat belt and the thing starts going off immediately even after I apply the e-brake . It only stops when I open the door. Its bad engineering it shouldn't go off at all under a set mph or when the e-brake is on.
It only goes off if you're going 10mph+
Old 08-20-2009, 06:27 PM
NO MERCY!

Originally Posted by 1990CivicSedan
Wow....good job Mr. 10-months-late-on-the-snappy-comeback! But here's some food for thought for your dumbass. We're not talking about a 19-year- old Honda with automatic belts....we're talking about a prefectly functional newer model 2006 +. Your situation with your automatic belts is entirely different...those automatic seatbelts caused more problems than they solved anyway....which is probably why they were done away with. I mean seriously.....did you really think that a near 20 year old car with a seatbelt running on a motor wasn't eventually gonna have problems?? While you lucked out in ghetto-rigging your seatbelt alarm bypass.....I personally would have felt much better just taking it to the dealer and having the professionals fix the assembly the proper way. Can't be that expensive considering the reason car companies used automatic seatbelts to begin with was because they were relatively cheap. And even at that I believe HOnda offers a lifetime warranty on the automatic seatbelt assemblies do they not??

And furthermore.....judging by your other thread about your own issue (which seems to be the reason you even created an account) that I read through it sounds like you had a hard time figuring out how to jack with the chime as well. Would have probably saved you a big headache to just take it to the dealer and have THEM fix it for you instead of roaming around on H-T looking for a quick fix. Because it sounds like all YOU did was pull the fuses for everything so that now your passenger side seatbelt doesn't even work at all. Am I right?

And either way....referring back to the current generation Civic models....attempting to screw with the wiring for the seatbelt alarm and other electrical components is just a bad idea in general.

IT'S MUCH EASIER TO JUST BUCKLE THE DAMN SEATBELT!!! MUCH FASTER TO!!

Get it?

And if for some reason someone has the absolute need to not hear that alarm or not wear their seatbelt.....well then just buy a new belt from the dealership or a junkyard....cut the straps off and just fasten the buckle into the slot. Much safer than f**king with ELECTRICAL WIRING!

Like I said before.....I respect the fact the OP is just trying to help those interested....I just don't agree with him that's all.

So tell me....did you really two-step into this forum for a car you DON'T EVEN OWN just to fish this thread out and try and smart-off to me from a 10-month old post in a thread that's been dead for 5 months??

It's just a difference of opinion....nothing more. So sit back have a drink or to and chill the f**k out.....and think about that the next time you wanna try and get smart with me.

Last edited by RICO_; 08-20-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The chime is to put your seatbealt on. It's your life and it's your call. If you want to be a redneck, buy a truck

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Chime (BEEPER) Bypass Procedure