Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Rear End Alignment Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The National Highway Traffic Administration has the power to force a manufacturer to issue a recall. However they need a record of complaints to do this and investigate. When I checked out their website I found only one related to this issue. If people with this issue logged the complaints to them we may see some action.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear End Alignment Problems (tiresnfrustrated)

Are you for real? There are hundreds of people who are severely affected by this problem. The bottom line is this, Honda knowingly sold defective vehicles to thousands of people and has yet to recall these affected cars. Some, like mine, will not immediately show the symptoms these defective upper control arms produce until well past the 36,000 mile warranty. I am only now seeing the damage after replacing the OEM tires and accumulating 12,000 miles on my new set of Eagle GT'S. My 07 Civic is sitting on 76,000 miles now and I still have another 5 years to pay for it. Honda wants 350.00 to replace these defective upper control arms- thats criminal! Honda needs to recall and pay for "Their" mistake. I will NEVER purchase another honda product as long as I live.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear End Alignment Problems

Small claims court here I come! I will be contacting Honda Motor Corp tomorrow. If they do not step up and take responsibility then I will take legal action. I have already filed complaints with the BBB and with the national highway safety board. I strongly encourage any and all of you who are writing about this issue to do the same. We must not let companies take our hard earned money and then turn their backs on us when we need help.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wingman69
Small claims court here I come! I will be contacting Honda Motor Corp tomorrow. If they do not step up and take responsibility then I will take legal action. I have already filed complaints with the BBB and with the national highway safety board. I strongly encourage any and all of you who are writing about this issue to do the same. We must not let companies take our hard earned money and then turn their backs on us when we need help.
Honda fixed the problem after 06'. So I dont know where you are going with you suit.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:55 PM

Humm, funny u guys should mention this, i have an 08 si sedan, i put 20 inch rims on it in march and got a wheel alignment that same day, in november sometime my rear passenger tire had a whole in the tire wall, when i replaced that one tire with a new one , i took the car to get an oil change, when they had the car on the lift i looked at that one tire that i had replaced 2 weeks prior to the oil change,, i saw that the whole inside of the new tire was starting to wear out and wear out fast, im glad u guys told me this i will be contacting the dealler tomorrow as well, just to find out about this recall and when i can get this problem resolved... If anyone has anyother info , please let me know???
Old 12-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by COCA GROUND ASSAULT NY
Humm, funny u guys should mention this, i have an 08 si sedan, i put 20 inch rims on it in march and got a wheel alignment that same day, in november sometime my rear passenger tire had a whole in the tire wall, when i replaced that one tire with a new one , i took the car to get an oil change, when they had the car on the lift i looked at that one tire that i had replaced 2 weeks prior to the oil change,, i saw that the whole inside of the new tire was starting to wear out and wear out fast, im glad u guys told me this i will be contacting the dealler tomorrow as well, just to find out about this recall and when i can get this problem resolved... If anyone has anyother info , please let me know???
The problem was fixed in late 07'.. I highly doubt Honda will do anything for you. Look at an 06 then an 08 and you will see the difference
Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 AM
New User

I paid cash for a Honda Civic 06 EX in 2006. My wife drives it on the Hwy only. She normally gets 80,000 on tires. I brought it back to the dealer before it went out of the one year warranty. I told the owner of the dealership that there was a problem and that it was all over the internet and I gave him some copies of the internet articles which had already been posted in early 2007. He scoffed at me and treated me like an ***. I have since put on a second set of expensive tires and of course they are cupped already after just 15,000 miles and three rotations. I have not received any notices about recalls of any type for this problem. I maintain nine cars and have never had such a problem. I WILL NEVER, NEVER, NEVER BUY A HONDA AGAIN AND I TELL EVERYONE I SEE ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE. I will end up buying a Skunk2 rear camber kit and taking care of the problem. The kit ($300) plus the tires have cost me over $900. I am not going to go and beg the owner of this dealership nor am I going to play the proof game with Honda, it is not my responsibility to take care of Honda's problems. I have kept the original set of tires and I show everyone who visits me the results of buying a Honda. I talk with hundreds of people each year and I show many of the the pictures of my tires to make sure they understand why not to buy a Honda.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by caveman74
the problem was fixed in late 07'.. I highly doubt honda will do anything for you. Look at an 06 then an 08 and you will see the difference
why does the 08 model change a lil bit.. Is it only o6 and 07...??or is it because mine is an si model??
Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by william rivero
i paid cash for a honda civic 06 ex in 2006. My wife drives it on the hwy only. She normally gets 80,000 on tires. I brought it back to the dealer before it went out of the one year warranty. I told the owner of the dealership that there was a problem and that it was all over the internet and i gave him some copies of the internet articles which had already been posted in early 2007. He scoffed at me and treated me like an ***. I have since put on a second set of expensive tires and of course they are cupped already after just 15,000 miles and three rotations. I have not received any notices about recalls of any type for this problem. I maintain nine cars and have never had such a problem. I will never, never, never buy a honda again and i tell everyone i see about my experience. I will end up buying a skunk2 rear camber kit and taking care of the problem. The kit ($300) plus the tires have cost me over $900. I am not going to go and beg the owner of this dealership nor am i going to play the proof game with honda, it is not my responsibility to take care of honda's problems. I have kept the original set of tires and i show everyone who visits me the results of buying a honda. I talk with hundreds of people each year and i show many of the the pictures of my tires to make sure they understand why not to buy a honda.
so what are u gonna advice people to get a gm... Lmfao...
Old 12-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Caveman74
Honda fixed the problem after 06'. So I dont know where you are going with you suit.

They have fixed the problem for all civic models except the SI...
Old 12-29-2008, 03:41 PM
New User

Nissan, my wife was driving a Nissan for 200,000 + miles with the third set of tires when a kid ran into her. I had very few problems with it. I had an alternator that was defective and it was replaced by the company with out any problems. The only reason I bought the Honda was the reputation Honda had for reliability and longevity.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear End Alignment Problems (jeffNB)

OK...The control arms in question are too short thus resulting in a negative camber situation. Bottom line is that Honda realizes this but is making all of us work to get it fixed, meaning-call and file a formal complaint with Honda America and attain a case number/manager. In my case at 76000 miles, they have agreed to replace the defective control arms and align my vehicle without cost to me. The tires are not part of this settlement but I am fortunate that they are still in good enough shape to continue driving on them. In fact only one side got really bad. Good luck and tell them about this story when you file your complaint-it will make a difference.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:56 AM
New User

Thanks, I think you understand the situation. I have already filed a formal complaint and have not had any feedback. In the end I will probably end up buying the Skunk2 arms and learning my lesson of never buying Honda again. I am still appalled at the total lack of concern for a situation which could cause a very dangerous situation on the hwy. However, since China killed off a large number of our dogs and we did nothing, then they almost killed off a large number of our children, and we do very little, I think I understand why no one cares what they do the the American citizen, we are a pushover and will do nothing, we are too busy and we move on to other things and let them slowly kill us. China, Japan, Mexico etc all know that we will do nothing. If you really want to become concerned, look at the medical field. You do realize that a large number of hospitals send all the xrays to be read by people in India etc after 5:00 in the evening. If something is misread, try going after someone legally in India or China, or Japan.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:39 PM
New User

Hi, well your stories sound familiar. I own the 2006 Honda Civic EX. I have had it exclusively serviced at my local dealer near Albany, NY. I never missed a rotation or oil chage. This past Monday I take it in because the computer codes are showing time for oil change and tire rotation. I have 60K on the car, I drive all highway miles, about 30K a year. So, guess what -they couldn't rotate my tires due to uneven wear. He then proceeds to tell me about the Rear Control arms, Etc. What I don't understand is that this Service bulletin , (I found it here:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/factory-service-bulletin-rear-control-arms-2225229/) was out in February of 2008. It is one year later and my dealer let me drive around for a year without telling me about this issue? Why? I left a message on the service manager's Voicemail and I will update you with cost (their initial offer was that Honda America would pay 1/2 , but I still have to pay for 4 new tires AND an alignment.
Thanks for all your posts! I am a first (and most likely) last time Honda buyer. I too was roped in by their "reputation". BTW, Wasn't my car, the 2006 Civic the Car of the year that year? Yeah right.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 AM
New User

Yes, I understand. I had a 2006 and had to go through two sets of tires before I was able to get their attention. The dealer did NOTHING. I was never notified etc. I complained to no avail. I finally sent pictures etc by certified mail and finally got to talk with a person at HONDA. He was very nice and I was finally able to get the upper arms replaced for free. However, this still cost me over $400 in tires which are now worn out and the original tires which wore out in less than 30,000 miles. I too drive only hwy.

Like you, I will never buy another Honda. I was NEVER notified about a "recall" because there is no recall. There is no notification by the factory or the dealer. If you cause trouble and push HONDA, they are very nice and will get the upper arms, but they don't want to pay for the tires. I am thankful just to have the new arms. Now I can go buy another set of new tires for another $400. There is a "service pack" not a recall. This means that only the people who realize what is going on will get theirs fixed. Good Luck.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 AM
New User

08 Civic DX 4-doors ~8 months old and 12,000 miles

(It seems there is still a problem!)

Rear tires completely worn 0/32, front tires down to 4/32. Dealer “Colonial Honda” never heard of this issue. “Tires are a consumable; you need to buy new ones” Once I called back and explained I found this link, they acknowledge there were other reports of this.

Honda Canada <George> “why are you calling us, we can’t diagnose the problem from here” After several days, with no word from either dealer or Honda Canada, I tried Honda Canada again <Jennifer> we’re waiting for info and won’t be able to do anything until we get it. Called dealer back and they agreed to check the alignment, if I left the car for the day.

I have purchased many new cars; this is the worst service I’ve ever seen. The ironic thing, we were about to purchase the CVR for my wife when this all happened. I feel bad for the sales guy.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:04 PM

07 Civic EX, had the upper control arms replaced at 11,800 miles. Took it back at 21,500 miles with same wear problem. Rear passenger side is the worst. Does anyone know if the upper control arm is supposed to change the static camber? It did not make any change on mine....
Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 PM
New User

is this for the fg2 fa5 or fg1???????????? thanks!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:30 PM
New User

When I took my '07 Civic Hybrid to my dealer in May for an oil change,
they told me all four tires needed to be replaced due to worn out
treads. The car only had 18500 miles on it at the time, so I was
flabbergasted. The service advisor suggested I was driving the car
too aggressively.

While researching replacement tires online, I discovered that this
premature tire wear had happened to many other Civic owners. In fact,
Honda had issued a service bulletin (008-001) for this back in early
'08. There is a problem with the rear control arms which can cause
uneven or premature tire wear in all 2006-2007 Civics, except for the
Si. So I went back to the dealer, showed the advisor the service
bulletin, and got the control arms fixed.

Now why didn't they just fix the control arms in the first place
instead of questioning the customer's driving habits? Seems to me
either the advisor is incompetent or dishonest. I suspect it's the
latter as she mentioned that Honda doesn't pay the dealer much to
cover the repair. Others on the internet have had the same experience
over this issue. Looks like Honda stumbled on this one.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 PM
New User

Lenny,

Run, don't walk, to the NHTSA web site and file a complaint!

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I have also read about other cases where a tire blew out or a control arm snapped in half, causing a crash. The more complaints the NHTSA gets on this problem, the more they will consider forcing a recall. I hope it will not take a loss of life before they take action on this issue, as there has been ample warning.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:22 PM
New User

Hi, I'm looking at buying an 07 EX..how can I tell if it is one with the problems? I looked at the tires and they look good. I don't know how to visually inspect the underside of the car. TIA
Old 09-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Larryj00
Hi, I'm looking at buying an 07 EX..how can I tell if it is one with the problems? I looked at the tires and they look good. I don't know how to visually inspect the underside of the car. TIA
when i had an alignment done on my 08 civic at les schwab the spec sheet mentioned the rear upper control arms having "C" stamped on them; i'm guessing this is the difference between the old and new arms. my car has the newer arms, so i'd assume that the older ones don't have this stamp.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear End Alignment Problems (exhaust_note)

Originally Posted by Echo7847
Current vehicle in question is a newer civic hybrid. I've seen others just by looking @ them appears to have excessive camber. So far so good with my gf's 2dr.

Honda will make it officially known to everyone when a permenant fix has been implemented. So far, you're the second person I've heard complain about it in person.
My mom bought 2006 Honda civic ex with 70 k after her new 2007 accord was hit by an idiot and totalled it-luckily we were not killed.I will say that car saved us because we were going 60 and he pulled out right into us from other direction .The accord crumpled in front and air bags came out.So we are very happy to still be here.So before the settlement mom got the 2006 civic for good deal.But after 10 k she heard roaring noise from rear end and Honda dealer said it's OK no problems.So I went to 2 alignment places and the rear tires are worn bald and cupping on inside and camber is -1.5 on left and -2.5 on right.But Honda will give us new control arm with "c" and alignment for500 bucks.But after reading that new ones only bring camber in +75 degrees that won't help me.So I will buy adj. Upper control arms and let alignment shop do it and 2 new tires should fix Honda bad design problem.After 850 bucks but car is out of warranty.But bad part is we've been to same Honda dealer Holmes in Shreveport with this car 4 years and they never mentioned tsb 08-001 and we may have had it fixed before new Michelin 200 buck tires wore out before only 20k miles.I'm really disappointed with Honda.I believed they were the best but now I have my doubts

Last edited by mrclean55; 11-21-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: wrong words hit wrong button
Old 05-22-2016, 10:21 AM
Trial User

I own a 2007 Honda Accord with the same problem
All honda told me was save my tire receipts honda
Will have to pay you back for the tires you bought.
I never was told anything about the control arms
Nothing. This is unreal you pay them top dollar
For a very cheaply made car that could cause a serious wreck or even death. Im going straight to
The state attorney general with this one and ontop of that the clear coat is bubbling off the car again Honda says its ONLY the civics that had the problem
Old 05-23-2016, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thesaturnguyllc
I own a 2007 Honda Accord with the same problem
All honda told me was save my tire receipts honda
Will have to pay you back for the tires you bought.
I never was told anything about the control arms
Nothing. This is unreal you pay them top dollar
For a very cheaply made car that could cause a serious wreck or even death. Im going straight to
The state attorney general with this one and ontop of that the clear coat is bubbling off the car again Honda says its ONLY the civics that had the problem

Quick Reply: Rear End Alignment Problems