Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

R18 Craked Block

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R18 Craked Block

I can't believe it, i have an 06 civic lx and it's now layed up at honda for two weeks while i wait for a new engine. the engine will be in today however the gaskets are on backorder till the 23rd

So here's the deal...i had a coolant leak for quite some time and couldn't figure out why/where, i've been smelling coolant burning off on the engine. thought it was the hose i replace with the intake from the block to the throttle body...so lately i've been getting a little more worried about it because the overflow is pretty well empty.

So saturday i do an oil change and trans fluid change, i notice that the bottom of the engine is green from coolant. i pull the hose off that i replace when i installed the intake and put some screw to tighten hose clamps on it and tightened them down to replace the OEM quick clamps (pressure clamps) because i'm thinking they aren't applying enough pressure and that's where my leak is coming from.

Side note to that...when i pulled off that hose the engine was still warm lol...so the coolant went everywhere until i got my finger over the nozzle ...noob mistake i'll never make twice

So i fill the rad with some coolant on sunday morning and all is good, then i drive to work (30km highway) and when i park the car i smell coolant and it's steaming a bit, so i figure it's nothing, i probably spilled some coolant on it and or it's burning off my mess from fixing the hose . it's still steaming pretty good when i get home from work so i decide to take it to the self serve car wash and spray off the engine (once cooled) to clean up the mess of the engine so i can find out if the steam is actually a leak or if it's just burning off my mess.

i go out that night and when i get back in the car to come home, i have no heat, so i'm like WTF the coolant must be low, by the time i get home i had to stop twice because it was overheating. i fill the rad and overflow when i get home, seems to be holding, went for a little drive, nothing leaking in the driveway and i have heat again, eveything seems fine.

i go to work monday and get home and it's steaming again, and the overflow is empty so i take it straight to the dealer and what do they tell me?? the leak is actually coming the block

i asked him how this would happen and he said something about there is a coolant passage along the front of the block and that's what cracked, dunno why it cracked but it did. so the good news outta all of this is that i'm getting a new engine (too bad they wouldn't put in a K20 ) bad news is...what do i get for a rental for the time being?? a ford taurus LOL

anyone ever seen this happen?? i asked the mechanic what / how this would have happened as i was in complete awe that this happened, he said he would have to chalk it up to 1. a flaw in the block and 2. just dumb luck...

sorry for the long post, i just can't believe this happened and figured most people would be interested in what happened...

Modified by mooseheads36 at 1:58 AM 1/16/2007

Modified by mooseheads36 at 6:00 AM 1/16/2007
Old 01-16-2007, 12:55 AM

Sucks, but gotta love that warranty.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:33 AM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (Mediademics)

Yet another "bug" to work out on the new civics i suppose.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Re: (Mediademics)

yeah it's all under warranty...good damn thing too cause they said it would bek $5000 for the block and $200 for the gasket kit for it + the labor

and my rental for over a week...so yea....thank god for warranty
Old 01-16-2007, 02:57 AM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (mooseheads36)

5 grand? I thought i read in this forum a while back that the Si motor was only like 2-3k. Must have been somethin else though.....
Old 01-16-2007, 03:57 AM

Default Re: (RICO_)

Had a friend of mine here that had to get is block replaced as well due to it being cracked....

Apparently there was a casting run of blocks for the R18 that were not done correctly, so Im sure more will be popping up......
Old 01-16-2007, 05:27 AM

Default Re: (Zesti1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zesti1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Had a friend of mine here that had to get is block replaced as well due to it being cracked....

Apparently there was a casting run of blocks for the R18 that were not done correctly, so Im sure more will be popping up...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

that actually makes me feel a little better lol...least it's not just mine, i was trying to figure out how the hell this happened and was wondering if it was something i did when installing my intake (which i couldn't imagine what that would be lol).

thing that really pisses me off is that i JUST did and tranny fluid change like two days before it cracked and i put royal purple fluids in it and a good synthetic oil filter on it (over $70CAD) and now this happens

should they have to drain the tranny fluid for the motor swap does anyone know??
Old 01-16-2007, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mooseheads36 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah it's all under warranty...good damn thing too cause they said it would bek $5000 for the block and $200 for the gasket kit for it + the labor

and my rental for over a week...so yea....thank god for warranty</TD></TR></TABLE>

the block is closer to $2,261.42 .. gasket kit is only about $100.

We had an 06 EX come in with a cracked block about 3 weeks ago. Overheated and needed a new head, block, radiator, gaskets, etc, etc. Upon ordering everything for it Honda sent 7 head bolts and put 3 of them on BACKORDER! lol, thankfuly they only stayed on B/O status for a little while but the guy was in a rental for some time.

I spoke with the main guy at Honda who is in charge of researching the problem and he said its happen on a few others but its not super serious at this point... they're thinking its a flaw in the casting from the factory.

GL with everything , warranty will hook it up
Old 01-16-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Re: R18 Craked Block (mooseheads36)

Originally Posted by mooseheads36
I can't believe it, i have an 06 civic lx and it's now layed up at honda for two weeks while i wait for a new engine. the engine will be in today however the gaskets are on backorder till the 23rd

So here's the deal...i had a coolant leak for quite some time and couldn't figure out why/where, i've been smelling coolant burning off on the engine. thought it was the hose i replace with the intake from the block to the throttle body...so lately i've been getting a little more worried about it because the overflow is pretty well empty.

So saturday i do an oil change and trans fluid change, i notice that the bottom of the engine is green from coolant. i pull the hose off that i replace when i installed the intake and put some screw to tighten hose clamps on it and tightened them down to replace the OEM quick clamps (pressure clamps) because i'm thinking they aren't applying enough pressure and that's where my leak is coming from.

Side note to that...when i pulled off that hose the engine was still warm lol...so the coolant went everywhere until i got my finger over the nozzle ...noob mistake i'll never make twice

So i fill the rad with some coolant on sunday morning and all is good, then i drive to work (30km highway) and when i park the car i smell coolant and it's steaming a bit, so i figure it's nothing, i probably spilled some coolant on it and or it's burning off my mess from fixing the hose . it's still steaming pretty good when i get home from work so i decide to take it to the self serve car wash and spray off the engine (once cooled) to clean up the mess of the engine so i can find out if the steam is actually a leak or if it's just burning off my mess.

i go out that night and when i get back in the car to come home, i have no heat, so i'm like WTF the coolant must be low, by the time i get home i had to stop twice because it was overheating. i fill the rad and overflow when i get home, seems to be holding, went for a little drive, nothing leaking in the driveway and i have heat again, eveything seems fine.

i go to work monday and get home and it's steaming again, and the overflow is empty so i take it straight to the dealer and what do they tell me?? the leak is actually coming the block

i asked him how this would happen and he said something about there is a coolant passage along the front of the block and that's what cracked, dunno why it cracked but it did. so the good news outta all of this is that i'm getting a new engine (too bad they wouldn't put in a K20 ) bad news is...what do i get for a rental for the time being?? a ford taurus LOL

anyone ever seen this happen?? i asked the mechanic what / how this would have happened as i was in complete awe that this happened, he said he would have to chalk it up to 1. a flaw in the block and 2. just dumb luck...

sorry for the long post, i just can't believe this happened and figured most people would be interested in what happened...

Modified by mooseheads36 at 1:58 AM 1/16/2007

Modified by mooseheads36 at 6:00 AM 1/16/2007
So you had an after market inake? did you remove it b4 going to the dealer?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Re: R18 Craked Block (R18_believer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R18_believer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you had an after market inake? did you remove it b4 going to the dealer?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My friend had his CAI on when he went to the dealer with the prob. When they put the new engine in, they reinstalled the intake for him.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:11 AM

The intake wouldn't be the reason for his cracked block. Hence warranty still intact.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Re: R18 Craked Block (R18_believer)

yeah i have an injen sri on it and no i didn't remove it before takin' it in.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:16 AM

Default Re: (TRE_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TRE_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the block is closer to $2,261.42 .. gasket kit is only about $100.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i think why there is such a difference in the prices is that everything i quote is in candian dollars, and i'm sure they embellished a bit.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Re: (elklodgeezra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elklodgeezra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The intake wouldn't be the reason for his cracked block. Hence warranty still intact.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i seriously thought that engine warranty will viod if you put any after market parts on your engine, or is it only anything related to air induction that will void of there is an after market intake? hmmm enlighten the young one.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: (R18_believer)

They need to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure.

Intake will not cause a block to crack
Old 01-16-2007, 09:18 AM

Yeah, what he said /\ you're warranty doesn't just void itself out once you stick something on it. It's when something goes wrong and the aftermarket part is to blame.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elklodgeezra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, what he said /\ you're warranty doesn't just void itself out once you stick something on it. It's when something goes wrong and the aftermarket part is to blame. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So say with someone who doesn't know much about this stuff..don't you think the dealer would rather blame it on the aftermarket installs?? I mean, I know they get paid either way...but I wonder how many times they say it's the aftermarket part, and it's really not..I mean, how could u really dispute it..?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:58 AM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (06 Habanero-NaVi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 06 Habanero-NaVi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So say with someone who doesn't know much about this stuff..don't you think the dealer would rather blame it on the aftermarket installs?? I mean, I know they get paid either way...but I wonder how many times they say it's the aftermarket part, and it's really not..I mean, how could u really dispute it..?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The burden of proof rests with the dealer when it comes to such issues.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Warranty is covering the issue ... Why even bring up the issue of PR, CEO's, blah blah blah ... If the motor hydrolocked of course the dealership would have to prove that the intake caused it but the cracked block is something totally different and is being fully replaced/repaired by honda.

lets not turn this into a what warranty will cover / proof of failure thread AGAIN
Old 01-16-2007, 11:06 AM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (TRE_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TRE_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Warranty is covering the issue ... Why even bring up the issue of PR, CEO's, blah blah blah ... If the motor hydrolocked of course the dealership would have to prove that the intake caused it but the cracked block is something totally different and is being fully replaced/repaired by honda.

lets not turn this into a what warranty will cover / proof of failure thread AGAIN</TD></TR></TABLE>

I 2nd that.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:53 PM

I 3rd that...

Does anyone know if replacing the engine would require them to drain the tranny fluid??
Old 01-17-2007, 02:35 PM

the same thing happened to me in my 1995 civic and thats how i ended up in my new 07 civic.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: (AbsoluteGG)

shitty...i'm really suprised to hear about so many issues with cracked blocks

not looking to good on honda's part
Old 01-17-2007, 03:33 PM
NO MERCY!

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope nothing happens to my car. I'd hate to think my last car which i ran up to almost 100Kmiles before i sold it is better than my honda now.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mooseheads36 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shitty...i'm really suprised to hear about so many issues with cracked blocks

not looking to good on honda's part </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its really not that widespread of a problem. Its definantly happening on more R18's than it should, but all things considered its not that serious of an issue

Quick Reply: R18 Craked Block