Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

R.I.P. Norma: Rolled my '07 LX Coupe on I-5

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R.I.P. Norma: Rolled my '07 LX Coupe on I-5

Thursday Night 9:15PM

I was driving down the 5 freeway to go to San Diego to show some support for my buddy Michael Vincent, who was hosting a party at Stingaree. I was to meet up with my buddies and then roll out with them.

As I'm cruising in the fast lane, a car changes lanes into me. I was going about 80, him about 65. I slowed down, waiting for him to pick up some speed or pass the vehicle to his right so I could pass him. Nope. This guy decided that he wanted to be the "*******". Yeah, I was in a hurry, and yeah, I could've easily slowed down patiently and wait for him to finish doing whatever shenanigans he was up to, but he deliberately slowed down even more to match the speed of the cars next to him, so I couldn't pass. I flashed my high beams a couple times, hit my hazards, and next thing I see is him telling me I'm "number 1".

Finally, there is an opening enough for me to go around him to pass. So I do. As I'm passing him, he flips me off and I just kinda laugh it off; him being in his 50's driving a mazda millenia being this douche just doesn't strike me as a reason to get mad.

What DID make me angry, however, was that when I went back into the fast lane and started picking up speed again, he turned on his high beams and started to speed up. This is when I knew he was ******* with me, and the first time I felt intimidated. I changed lanes back into the second lane, waiting for him to pass me, so I could get (a) a better look at him for a physical description and (b) his license plate number in case he was to do something out of the norm. As he was passing me, he proceeded to swerve into my lane about halfway, causing me to slow down. He then ends up in my lane and slams on the brakes. I mean SLAMS on the brakes. Of course, I have to hit my brakes, and not only that, I have to change lanes.

Kids, just a word of precaution; do NOT change lanes while you're hitting your brakes.

Next thing I know, I'm going sliding, and because he hit his brakes faster than I could, I'm going faster than him. I see my car passing his as I hear my tires screeching. I just remember sliding at around 60mph from the far left lane all the way over to the shoulder. I remember telling myself "I'm going to roll, I'm going to roll, I'm going to roll"

I took my feet off the pedal (I've read stories about people getting their feet cut off in collisions), took my arms off the steering wheel (I was already out of control and knew I was going to flip, and read stories about people breaking their arms cuz they were locked onto the steering wheel) and I put my seat back (I've read stories about people getting their spines crushed in rollover accidents). Now I don't know how my instincts all kicked in at this exact moment, but looking back, I can honestly say that everything happened in slow motion. And whoever says your life flashes before your eyes... Liars. All I could think about was how I'm going to pay for the car. How am I going to get to work. How I'm going to kill the ******* douchebag that got me into this accident. How the hell am I going to find the douchebag that caused my accident. How I hoped there were witnesses. How I hope I don't end up pinned in my car cuz I was in the middle of nowhere (right outside of camp pendleton; nearest exit was miles away).

And then it hit me. For the first time, I thought to myself "This could be my last moment alive."

I hear a loud pop. Then another pop. Then I hear a loud BAM! And then screeching metal. Then crunching metal. Then another pop. And then I feel myself upside down. The seat belt is pulling at my body; my arms are above my head, my knees are hitting the steering wheel, and my face is inches from the roof of my car. As I'm rolling, I'm scared that I could literally end up in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

As the car comes to a stop, there is this overwhelming moment of complete silence, other than the ringing in my head. I feel absolutely no pain or emotions at this point. I look to my left and I see white. I look to my right, and I see white. I look forward and I see white. I remember thinking to myself "Wow. So this is death."

And then my arm starts burning. I feel my heart pounding in my chest. I feel my knees shaking. I feel my hands feeling around my body for blood. And then I realized why everything was white. Airbags.

The pain never hit me until I opened the door. I was surprised that it even opened, but after a bit of force and forcing the frame, I got the door open enough to squeeze my way out. I immediately fell to the ground and thought to myself "Every bone in my body must be broken"

Nope. I was just in shock. The pain was starting to hit me more, but was nothing overwhelming. I started to get my hearing and sight back, and coming to my senses. I look over to my left, and realize I'm on a 10 foot dropped embankment off the side of the freeway. I don't see the cars whizzing by, but I sure do hear them. I think to myself "how the expletive is anyone going to find me?" and then I look to my right.

Lo and behold, I see the same car that made me swerve off of the ******* road. I see the driver standing outside of his vehicle, which appears to be fine. I look at my vehicle. And then I think to myself "my car is 6 weeks old. I just put one payment on it. A brand new car. Totalled."

I immediately felt an overwhelming amount of anger, but stopped myself from confronting the other driver, in fear that I was to end up in jail that evening if I let my body have my way with what my brain was telling me to do.

I asked myself how the expletive he ended up off the freeway with me, and later found out from CHP (who were absolute ******* dicks, btw) that I clipped his car when I had spun out of control.

Finally I walked over to him and to even my surprise, I asked him if he was okay. He started screaming at me "What the expletive are you doing?! Why are you playing ******* games on the freeway?!" so I respond with a simple "YOU were the one that swerved into ME. YOU were the one that slammed on your brakes."

He continued screaming at me, so I looked at him square in the eyes, and in the most subtle of voices told him "[excluding this part from public blog, but please feel free to message me for it]" and stared him square in the eyes. Thank God there were witnesses who saw the accident, because at this time they were running up to us, and separated me and the other driver. I say Thank God, because at that moment, I stopped caring about life. Not mine, but his. If those witnesses were not there, I think I honestly had it in me to snap his ******* neck.

So it took a while for the paramedics/CHP to arrive. Paramedics were ******* AWESOME, CHP wasn't. I remember being questioned and them taking my statement, only to be told "Don't lie to me, boy. We have credible witnesses that are telling us differently. So why don't we go over the story one more time. And you think about what you're saying." And I instinctively thought to myself "I'm an Asian guy with a brand new Honda with tinted windows and a system. I MUST be a street/freeway racer!" But holding all that back, I told him exactly what happened. Again.

Then his partner comes up to me. "Look. Don't be a ******* idiot. You and I know what you guys were doing. You were racing. If you ******* lie to me, I'll make sure you end up in jail tonight. So tell me from the beginning what happened. And don't ******* lie to me because I don't need it right now [turns to his partner and says 'I'm so glad I shined my boots tonight']." So I tell him exactly what happens again.

At this time, the paramedics came and asked for me to sign the liability form that says that they looked at me on the scene. I sign it, and notice a section for a witness signature. The paramedic hands it to the CHP officer, who in turn throws it back and says "I'm not signing that."

Tow trucks arrive. Apparently, they were treated like **** by the CHP, as well.

Whatever. Long story short, my car is totalled. And I just found out that my insurance expired on it a couple days before the accident. You know, the 30-day grace period the dealership gives you before you have to find your own insurance. I'm a ******* retard.

So the moral of the story is this: get insurance.

Well, thank God I'm still alive.

I'll post updates as I get them.

Modified by jo3design at 12:49 PM 9/18/2007
Old 09-18-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: R.I.P. Norma: Rolled my '07 LX Coupe on I-5 (jo3design)

That sucks, sorry to hear that but no insurance what the hell where you thinking!!!! I went and got my insurance on the FG2 the same day i got it.

And pics dont work.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: R.I.P. Norma: Rolled my '07 LX Coupe on I-5 (97Ej6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That sucks, sorry to hear that but no insurance what the hell where you thinking!!!! I went and got my insurance on the FG2 the same day i got it.

And pics dont work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pics fixed.

But trust me, I don't know what I was thinking about the insurance thing. I set up a bunch of quotes and missed a meeting with a Progressive agent because of a meeting, and I guess it slipped my mind.

so looks like I have to eat this one.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Whoa whoa whoa.. you're just going to 'eat' a 16+ grand loss? If your story is true.. I have no reason to say you're a liar, so if it's true.. go to court. His reckless driving caused you to wreck a car. If there were witnesses, ask them to help you out.. Do something. You can't just wreck a car and then sit back and take it when it wasn't your fault.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:10 PM

oh! snap!
you are very, very lucky...
i rolled like that a few years back, and it was pretty much what went through my mind...
one word, ask the insurance company if they have any kind of waiting period for the payment, in case you were to renew the contract of insurance...ive known of several cases (and been in 1) that even if the insurance was expired, the company covered it cause the renewal was on its way. (they give 30 days for the renewal confirmation, and 15 additional days for them to receive the payment. past 45 days, no payment, no insurance in any way, and end up loosing any additional benefits for renewal, loyalty etc.)
im really unaware of the kind of insurance you had, but maybe its worth a try.
good luck.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (misterghost)

Dude, I'm sorry to see this happen. If your story is true, It must be really bad.
What did witnesses say?
Is there any damages to the attempted murderer's car?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FutureITR)

im real sorry man

PMed
Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: (Nighthawk R18)

that has to be the worst thing that happened to you. well at least you safe and sound. The honda did its job in protecting you. I think we all will know now to take it easy on the highway and watch out for what others are doing.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bulli Kid)

more power to you man....i would have knocked that 50 year old's teeth out.

hope you dont have to pay all that **** out of pocket.

I hate CHP....i love cali but hate them.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn gld you're ok
Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Just to clarify a bit, after reading the story over... I make it sound like the douche bag is completely at fault here... Well, I did get pretty angry when he was messing with me, and part of the reason I slowed down was to intimidate him a bit.

But as soon as he passed me, he cut me off and immediately brake-checked me; I didn't even have time to think, I just reacted.

Thinking back on it, I wish I would have hit the ebrake and spun out of it. I wish I wouldn't have counter-steered so fast. I wish I would have had some freaking insurance.

So here's the feedback that I've been getting from legal consultation: Most insurance brokers/dealers that insure brand new vehicles from the dealership will let you pay for the time that needs to be covered without insurance, as long as I never had another carrier. But then it automatically becomes my fault (by default) because I wasn't abiding the law and was driving without insurance.

A buddy of mine that used to work for Jacoby and Meyers told me that if it can be proven that the other driver was even 51% at fault, that I would be covered. Repayment for medical bills could take over a year, but damages on the vehicle should be reimbursed immediately.

Another attorney told me that I'm probably going to need to file bankruptcy.

I dunno, I'm just waiting for the police report to fax over to a couple of attorneys, but because there was no personal injury, I'm thinking a lot of attorneys are thinking there's no benefit for them.

I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm just a bit lost right now, and wish someone could give me some solid advice.

As for the other driver, I guess I clipped him when I lost control, so he ended up on the side of the freeway, as well. His car didn't flip though.

I dunno, I'm just really stressin out right about now.

and it all goes back to not staying on top of the insurance thing.

At least I still have my life.

*le sigh*
Old 09-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jo3design)

dang man this is insane. talk about bad luck. like everyones been saying, at least your ok though.

my dads a lawyer, ill hit him with the situation and let you know what he thinks
Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holy crap man have a

you got it right. You have your life. Your car and a few angels saved it for you. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sucks you wrecked your car, but your lucky your alive. Freeway accidents are not fun..... your moral of the story should say "karma goosed me" my friend had his insurance lap on his truck... he wrecked it a day after. he paid out of pocket and still has no insurance.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks...at least you are alive...lesson to myself
Old 09-19-2007, 10:55 AM
* B A N N E D *

fu*k CHP.
CHP in cali are ****** pieces of ****, seriously.
ive tooken CHP to court befor and won.

anyways, you have one hell of a story there buddy. and alot more patience than me. I would have beatin that ******s face in for real.

I know how it feels to be in a situation were you honestly believe your going to die..... a million things go through your head in about a 5 second time span. full, clear thoughts.

one thought i ALWAYS think, is..........
"wow this is it, this is how it ends huh?"

than i get a sence of calm and wait.

take this **** to court man, trust me, dont be afraid to step in the court room. you have rights, and one of them is to say what you want to in the court. people are scared to speak up in court for some reason. your allowed to say whatever you want! dont eat this bro......... fight it.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Wow man....hope the witnesses stand up for you.

But double wow on that civic. It looks damn good for a car that flipped. Thank goodness for airbags.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 AM
* B A N N E D *

im just glad it wasn't a SI........
oh, and that your ok. lol
Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 PM

The SI is next. After this accident, I realize how safe of a car the civic actually is. The airbags deployed and saved me from bashing my head on the glass.

I'm going to take a look at the car tomorrow, and wondering if it's salvageable. The engine worked fine after the rollover, but want to make sure there are no links.

The frame is probably pretty twisted up, but if this whole insurance thing doesn't work out to my advantage, I'm going to pay out of pocket to fix the car.

I just got my plates in the mail yesterday, and it made me so sad

Calling a couple more lawyers today; I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for hearing me out.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seed2harvest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im just glad it wasn't a SI........
oh, and that your ok. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

you *** lol

least OP steppin up to an SI. maybe those rear discs will prevent something like this from ever happenin again!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Occupy GDD

Default Re: (jo3design)

Wow man glad you are ok. Not to be an *** or anything but I hope you learned a good lesson how important insurance is and that you partially instigated this incident by slowing down instead of just going about your business. Good luck to you
Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 PM

file a complaint against chp and they're racial and discriminant profiling... im sick and fed up with their profiling... u have to be asian and drive a civic in california to know what im taling about... effing bull man...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blue2ksi)

first glad your alive! any injuriys?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blue2ksi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">file a complaint against chp and they're racial and discriminant profiling... im sick and fed up with their profiling... u have to be asian and drive a civic in california to know what im taling about... effing bull man...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree to blue and i find it dumb in your end about not having insurance, nevertless the other guy is obviuos at fault, he slamed his brakes you reacted despite your effort your speeds (his n urs) and braking power caused you to "clip" him, and ultimatly causing you to roll. i find it very hard if your at fault since the guy just braked at no reason!!! that doesnt sound normal i mean he was the one playing games....

as far as your car its without a doublt salvage since the repair is more then the car worth. just for the fact that the frame/chassis work is expensive.... now the car would be salvage if its reported on the car fax but no insurance = clean title

both of you have to fill out a sr 40 someting forum, sorry dont know much im just an 18 yr old lol

NOTE: on the guy that mention something about si having brake disc, he would still rolll over due to the speed, who knows maybe if he would power slide (e brake) maybe it would of helped
Old 09-20-2007, 01:49 AM

Bottom line is that you will have to declare bankruptcy

I've been through this situation when I was 19, I was driving my mom's car(No insurance on it) some ******* cut me off and I hit him. I ended up with the bill and I have no way of paying it, so my attorney advised me to declare bankruptcy. The car I hit was a P.O.S astro van and they wanted my left nut for it.

I am sure that the dealership will take you to civil court and then the state of killer cali will take you to court. I don't know how serious the repercussions are for not driving with out insurance. Here in IL If I would have gone to court for my ****, then the State of Il would have suspended my license. I declared bankruptcy and poof problem be gone.

Positive side of bankruptcy is that you can declare everything well except student loans. Hold on to one credit card and that way you can build your credit back up.

if you have any questions about bankruptcy holla at your boy
Old 09-20-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: R.I.P. Norma: Rolled my '07 LX Coupe on I-5 (huevosrancheros)

Whoa! glad you're alive. sucks for the losses. stay up!

Quick Reply: R.I.P. Norma: Rolled my '07 LX Coupe on I-5