Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Progressive Sway keep coming loose - Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive Sway keep coming loose - Anyone else?

So a couple weeks ago I have a 22mm Progessive Sway-bar with end-links installed on my SI. After just 2 days I start hearing a clicking noise when going around turns and when going over bumps. Since it only started after the sway-bay was installed, I figure that has to have something to do with it.

I get home, crawl under the car and start checking the nuts and bolts that hold the sway-bay to the car and the end-links. I find that the connection from the sway-bay to the end-link, on the drivers side is not even finger tight. I break out the 14mm wrench and tighten it back down.

On the following day I call my mechanic and ask him about the sway-bay. He tells me he is sure he tighten it down, and that the sway-bay really did not fit up to the car or the end-links very cleanly. He said he needed to shim where the bar attaches to the car and that the end-links seems almost too short. He told me, if I wanted, I could bring it back in and he would check it again, or if I wanted, he would put the stock one back in. In either case it would be no change. I told I tightened it down REAL TIGHT, and would see if that holds before I go back to the stock bar.

I really do not want to go back to the stock bar because I really notice a big difference with this sway-bar.

Anyway, I checked the bolts again this weekend and once again, I found the drivers side beginning to loosen again. It was not as bad as the first time, but still.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it? I was thinking about putting a 2nd set of nuts on the bolts to lock the 1st set down, but I can't seem to find the proper metric size and pitch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

loctite?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (06sik20z3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 06sik20z3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">loctite?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Either that or try using different endlinks. I've got stock endlinks with the progress sway bar and have had no issues at all. I bought some other endlinks, but have yet to install them because I've heard not so good things about them.

Also, I had no issues with fitment and I did not have to use shims or anything of the sort.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progressive Sway keep coming loose - Anyone else? (Hellzcivic)

glad to hear you notice a different with the Prgress sway bar, do you notice anything different when that nut comes loose at all??

Well the one thing you may want to check into is upgrading your OEM End-links. You didn't mention you were using anything different so I have to assume your using the OEM end links.

A lot of reviews say that the OEM end links suck. I recommend (before going back to stock) looking into Corsports endlinks

here's a link for you - http://www.corsportusa.com/sto...=1108

From what I read, grease that ship up and shouldn't have any issues

try PMing "Rwatters" he's had a good experience with this setup (progress sway bar & corsports endlinks)
Old 12-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progressive Sway keep coming loose - Anyone else? (Tallwin)

Try using the stock endlinks. I installed mine last week and I used the stock endlinks. It seems to be 50/50 on upgrading the endlinks, but on 8th, someone posted that they called Progress and Progress said that the stock endlinks would work fine for this.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progressive Sway keep coming loose - Anyone else? (90CRXLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90CRXLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on 8th, someone posted that they called Progress and Progress said that the stock endlinks would work fine for this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess you can't go wrong with that info. right there
Old 12-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progressive Sway keep coming loose - Anyone else? (SeanJohn1802)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeanJohn1802 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I guess you can't go wrong with that info. right there </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I know....I was going to upgrade the endlinks just because, but then I found that out and hey, if the stock endlinks do break for some odd reason, I will get the upgraded ones. No need to fix something if it isn't broken.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progressive Sway keep coming loose - Anyone else? (Tallwin)

If you bought the Corsport Adjustable endlinks, make sure that they are the same length as the stockers (I found it works better). Also, here's a trick I learned from Corsport as well - Go to a skate shop, and ask for the stiffest/hardest skateboard truck bushings they have and get 4 packs. You want to use the cylndrical, not the conical bushings. Put them on the endlinks under the washer that comes with the endlinks and tighten down 'till they are a little compressed. Done.

^^ so far, so good for me. I get a bit of a creak, but that's because of the moveable joints in the endlink.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Progressive Sway keep coming loose - Anyone else? (MonkeyConQueso)

use stock end links.... i think.

this has happenned to me....

i had stock endlinks with no noise at all.... i decided to upgrade to hotchkis endlinks and now i have a clunk of some kind every now and then ...

i thought the bolts that held the bushings together on the bar were loose... i checked those and they were extremely tight still ... only other place the noise could come from is the endlinks ...

i'm going to remove them and go back to stock endlinks on the weekend .. i'll let yall know how that goes....

noise started right after i changed the endlinks!!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progressive Sway keep coming loose - Anyone else? (sickyute)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sickyute &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use stock end links.... i think.

this has happenned to me....

i had stock endlinks with no noise at all.... i decided to upgrade to hotchkis endlinks and now i have a clunk of some kind every now and then ...

i thought the bolts that held the bushings together on the bar were loose... i checked those and they were extremely tight still ... only other place the noise could come from is the endlinks ...

i'm going to remove them and go back to stock endlinks on the weekend .. i'll let yall know how that goes....

noise started right after i changed the endlinks!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Aye, stock will def work no problems, but I thought I'd give the stronger Corsport endlinks a try. Let me know if you notice a difference between stock and the hotchkis, as the creak is getting annoying. I can deal with the creak if the rear is stronger with the hotchkis, however.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to know, I am looking to buy the same sway bar soon.