Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Power steering pump whining after fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump whining after fluid change

OK, so I decided to be a good Civic owner and change my PS fluid even though nothing was really wrong with it. Now I'm regretting it. First of all, I followed the service manual exactly and ran the lines completely dry. I then filled the reservoir to the MAX line, started the car and started turning the wheel side to side. It was whining pretty bad a first but then got quieter. The problem is it's still whining when idling and accelerating. Do I have trapped air? I did this last weekend and just went out there today and removed the fluid from the reservoir to try to bleed the lines again. I'm at a loss as the whine isn't going away. Did I damage the pump when running it dry for a minute the first time? Is there a better way to bleed the system? Thanks for any help!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power steering pump whining after fluid change

I just wanted to update everyone that I know someone that works for a Honda dealership, and he asked the shop foreman about my issue. He said it's definitely air that's stuck in there, so what they usually do is run the car, turn the wheel all the way to one side, then turn the car off like that and leave it for 20 minutes or so. Then turn the car on, turn the wheel all the way to the other side, shut the car off, wait 20 minutes, repeat as needed. I'll let you know if that works out.. good info. to know.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You would be way better off if you just sucked out as much of the fluid you could, then refilled it and did that a few times over a weeks or months time.

My tool or choice is a large enema syringe from the drug store, I have had the same one for at least 5 years, it works great on master cylinders and power steering.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bee guz
You would be way better off if you just sucked out as much of the fluid you could, then refilled it and did that a few times over a weeks or months time.

My tool or choice is a large enema syringe from the drug store, I have had the same one for at least 5 years, it works great on master cylinders and power steering.
I realize that now... Unfortunately, it's a little too late since I already "flushed" it last weekend as the repair manual stated. I did suck the fluid out with a turkey baster and decided to empty the return line as well. I won't do it again, that's for sure. We'll see what happens when I get home...
Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Letting it sit for 20 minutes is key. If you continue to run it and turn Lock to lock you keep foaming the foam so to speak. Let it sit and the bubbles will eventually collect and dissipate.
Did you use OE Honda fluid?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MastaTech
Letting it sit for 20 minutes is key. If you continue to run it and turn Lock to lock you keep foaming the foam so to speak. Let it sit and the bubbles will eventually collect and dissipate.
Since I got home today, I've been turning the wheel to one side, turning the car off, letting it sit 20 mins, same for other side, etc. for like 3 hours... it sounds the same, maybe even worse. The steering is silky smooth so it's not like the pump is dead, you know? What could I be doing wrong?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, yes, I definitely used OE fluid. My neighbor, a certified mechanic, came over to see what was up. I told him, and he said "man, go get some of that Lucal synthetic fluid and put it in there". I said no, you have to put OE fluid. He said "no man, it works on EVERYTHING. I put it in my Pilot when I had it." I said oh, ok... NOT!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, good job on the OE fluid. I've seen many of those pumps go bad using either AT fluid or local parts store fluid. If the fluid is at the FULL mark ad first look foamy, wait instill the morning and see how it sounds. If its still lOud tomorrow, listen to the pump with a screw driver like its a doctors scope, could be bearings. Let's hope not!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, good job on the OE fluid. I've seen many of those pumps go bad using either AT fluid or local parts store fluid. If the fluid is at the FULL mark ad first look foamy, wait instill the morning and see how it sounds. If its still lOud tomorrow, listen to the pump with a screw driver like its a doctors scope, could be bearings. Let's hope not!!!
So it takes one minute of no fluid for it to die? I keep hearing it's just air, it's just air, but I'm starting to freak out thinking I killed it. Time to whip out the extended warranty...
Old 02-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tpatt
So it takes one minute of no fluid for it to die? I keep hearing it's just air, it's just air, but I'm starting to freak out thinking I killed it. Time to whip out the extended warranty...
Ignorance is bliss. Tell them it was making noise and you just added fluid. If they catch wind of you tinkering around, you're SOL my friend.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ignorance is bliss. Tell them it was making noise and you just added fluid. If they catch wind of you tinkering around, you're SOL my friend.
Oh no, I wasn't about to tell them I caused it. LOL It actually seems to be getting better since parking with the wheels turned all the way and letting it sit for a while. We'll see how much better it does tomorrow. There must have been a ton of air in there.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tpatt
parking with the wheels turned
Actually Not a Bad idea Good Thinking.. keep trying Goodluck Bro hope it works out for ya
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bee guz
Nothing to add on the subject of this thread. But what i used is a shampoo pump dispenser. Take it apart. And pump directly back into the bottle.