Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Painting vs. Powdercoating

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting vs. Powdercoating

So i got a price to get my stock wheels painted black...250 bones. I've heard powdercoating is the way to go but I think its gonna cost me a bit more.

I'm looking for some advice, what is gonna look better/last longer and survive general wear and tear. I think flat black paint would look pretty cool, any pictures you have would be nice.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

powdercoating is better than painting.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: Painting vs. Powdercoating (k20roadrage)

Painting will flake over time.

Powdercoating is a solid that's actually baked on to the part itself, it's very durable.

I have my valve cover powdercoated and it still looks great, 4 years later.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the si stock wheels would look sick powdercoated flat black maybe with a red lip around the outside. anyone have any pics of something of the sort?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting vs. Powdercoating (accordselux)

I have experiences using both PPG dual stage paint using professional Anest Iwata spray guns and powder coating systems with a professional electro static gun. I can easily say paint is just as durable as powder coating. When I compare I'm comparing a high quality catalyst reacted paint (Dupont, PPG, Diamont) vs a high quality PPG powder coat.

Powder can vary in quality just like paint. Most oem wheels even top of the line Volks will use a base coat/catalyst activated clear on their wheels. In some cases baking a wheel can possibly change the structural integrity of the wheel even in forged wheels.

Paint AND powder both can flake or chip, both vary depending on brand and quality. The Pepboys stuff is not even remotely close to PPG paints. Even quality paints like PPG have different systems, some made to last about 5-7 years and higher quality systems have a 12+ year warrantee.

So before jumping to the conclusion that powder/baked electro-static systems are better than catalyst reacted paint, do some reasearch and look into both processes. Powder is easier to apply I know that for sure and isn't as messy, nor as toxic. It does require baking at a precise temperature that will heat the entire wheel evenly so the powder cures completely all around. Paint you just mix a certain amount of A to B then let it cure.

Spray can does not = powder coat or high quality paints as many people have been using these terms loosely without knowing the process at all.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: Painting vs. Powdercoating (24boosted)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 24boosted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have experiences using both PPG dual stage paint using professional Anest Iwata spray guns and powder coating systems with a professional electro static gun. I can easily say paint is just as durable as powder coating. When I compare I'm comparing a high quality catalyst reacted paint (Dupont, PPG, Diamont) vs a high quality PPG powder coat.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I know a wheel shop around here that does paint and they used some high quality stuff that the price just made more sense to powdercoat to me. The majority of painted wheels I see are done at home in the garage or some such.