Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Oil-Change trouble on an Si?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil-Change trouble on an Si?

My first oil change on my Si (4,900 miles) was 2 days ago and I could not remove the oil filter. It was also hard to reach and get a grip of, even with an oil filter wrench.

I also noticed a metal holder on the bottom of the filter. I've been changing my own oil for years and I never had trouble with an oil filter. This is kind of embarassing for me to ask.

It seems like new cars are getting more & more difficult to work on. Do you need a special tool to remove the oil filter on an Si?

Anybody have any tips or suggestions?

I'd rather not take my car to a dealer just for an oil change.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stab it with a screwdriver and use its handle as leverage to twist that sucker off. Or go buy an oil filter adapter to stick on a ratchet.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (umop-apisdn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by umop-apisdn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stab it with a screwdriver and use its handle as leverage to twist that sucker off. Or go buy an oil filter adapter to stick on a ratchet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, do that and then replace the filter with a K&N that has the nut on the end so you can use a rachet the next time.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (COMplex.)

buy an IMPORT wrench. Thats what I got and it worked the first time
Old 04-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Caveman74)

I am sure craftsman makes the tool, but I got mine from snap-on, it goes on your ratchet, and has three arms that grap on to the filter. Havent found a filter yet i couldnt get off, except some of those gigantic diesel filters.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:59 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (R18A1FG)

Also you are changing your oil for the first time, which means the filter on there is the factory stamped on filter. I swear they have a oil filter impact gun or something.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (R18A1FG)

I worked as a technician for close to 3yrs. at a Honda dealership in MI. The way I got the SI filters off was with either a cup style filter wrench or the claw type. I used a ratchet with an extension on it to avoid burning myself on the SI exhaust.

Modified by Shiftyshadee at 5:58 AM 4/18/2007
Old 04-18-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Oil-Change trouble on an Si? (mjayvee)

I was having the same trouble, you have to get at it by the passenger side wheel well. I didn't have the right tools, but I took it off by hand, just hunkered down and twisted, you can also use sand paper to get a better grip.

This is what happens when you are a power lifter, yeah baby!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil-Change trouble on an Si? (huevosrancheros)

Honda sells the wrench for it, you can have your parts guy order one for you. its a perfect fit for the honda oil filter. i hate changin the oil on the new si's.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil-Change trouble on an Si? (FBPSidan)

As I stated in my previous post, I was a Honda technician for close to 3yrs. and now I am an assistant parts manager. I am curious where you found this "special tool" that they could order for you. To the best of knowledge there is only the adapter for the Honda special torque wrench used to install the new filter. That is a cup style wrench that can be found at any automotive parts store. The oil changing tools that dealerships get are pre-loaded torque wrenches for installing filters, tightening drain bolts, tightening lugnuts to proper torque specs. You can pay for the cup that is used with the oil filter torque wrench, but is by no means necessary.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil-Change trouble on an Si? (mjayvee)

What you described about trying to get the original oil filter off is fairly common.

I strongly recommend you buy Honda's cup-type oil filter wrench. It fits perfectly and a snug fit is important, particularly when you are trying to get the first filter off. That, a two-inch extension and a 3/8ths drive ratchet and you're in business. Other cup-type wrenches may work, but I haven't used them.

Also, if haven't gotten the filter off yet, before you try again (using the proper filter wrench), I recommend you fit the wrench on the filter and give it just a quarter turn, <U>not more than that</U>, when the engine is stone cold, just to break the seal between the filter gasket and the engine block. I think you will find it turns fairly easy when the engine is cold. You aren't trying to remove the filter, just break the gasket seal. Do not loosen it further yet. Now you can start the engine, warm up the oil and drain it. The original filter will come off easily. (It will also make a mess, but that's a subject for another tread.)
Old 04-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil-Change trouble on an Si? (Shiftyshadee)

well i also was a tech for a while and now im a svc advisor, its a metal cup that fits perfectly on honda oil filters (minus the s2k) im sure you can find it elsewhere but i got mine from honda. It fits on any 3/8 ratchet
Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 AM

are you guys serious.. that filter is cake.

wanna talk about a pain in the ***. early 90's Nissan Pick-up with the 2.4L.

Cavaliers are even harder then Honda Oil Filters
Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (exhaust_note)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by exhaust_note &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you guys serious.. that filter is cake.

wanna talk about a pain in the ***. early 90's Nissan Pick-up with the 2.4L.

Cavaliers are even harder then Honda Oil Filters</TD></TR></TABLE>

or a 03 CRV.. even Honda-techs couldnt get to it... they had a record of like 50 of them go on fire JUST from honda dealership oil changes bwhahaha

Old 04-18-2007, 07:18 AM

i gotta look into that.. i wanna see the placement of that.

the L6 Trailblazers are tricky too.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Type X)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

or a 03 CRV.. even Honda-techs couldnt get to it... they had a record of like 50 of them go on fire JUST from honda dealership oil changes bwhahaha

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that was due to the oil filter gasket sticking to the engine. then when you put on the new oil filter, the gasket is still there. it lead to oil leaks and things catching fire.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used something like this to get mine off...

http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/Pic...h.jpg
Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (faster Type R)

I just use the Honda Oil filter wrench/cup on the end of a rachet, works perfect everytime
Old 04-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TRE_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TRE_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just use the Honda Oil filter wrench/cup on the end of a rachet, works perfect everytime</TD></TR></TABLE>

Finally someone knows what im talking about!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. Nishant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Nishant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that was due to the oil filter gasket sticking to the engine. then when you put on the new oil filter, the gasket is still there. it lead to oil leaks and things catching fire.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, even had a recall on oil filters. I tell ya, hardest 3 hours i've made pulling in 10 crvs and changing filters on em in a row.

The seal would stick to the block, as it would already at times but now at a higher rate, people would half *** the oil change and put the new filter on with out removing the old seal. The resulting leak would spray right on the cat and up in flames it'd go. Our dealer had one car burn down with in a block of the shop and another came real close. Pretty cool actually, but could have been bad if someone was hurt.

I have an adj plier like these from Matco thats about 9 years old. Very first tool i bought off a tool truck even. Never had a filter that i couldnt get off with it, cept maybe a SH lude or 2.

Modified by rsvmille at 9:53 PM 4/18/2007
Old 04-18-2007, 08:53 PM

i think since i bought my Si from the honda dealer i also work for, im going to try to get a comped first oil change that way someone else can have the hassle the first go around... then i shouldnt have a problem henceforth. hopefully....

i NEVER had a problem with my '01. hard to believe things can change so much b/t generations of a model. weird.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (rsvmille)

This is whats you guys are talking about right?the cup thing that attaches to the wrench.
http://www.partsamerica.com/pr...3401A
Old 04-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOLO8thGenSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOLO8thGenSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think since i bought my Si from the honda dealer i also work for, im going to try to get a comped first oil change that way someone else can have the hassle the first go around... then i shouldnt have a problem henceforth. hopefully....

i NEVER had a problem with my '01. hard to believe things can change so much b/t generations of a model. weird.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The first time getting the filter off is usually the worst. The factory loves to put those filters on nice and tight. Luckily for us, Q-Lube gets the majority of the first oil changes, cept sometimes i swear they work out by twisting on oil filters.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mInI m3 Hondeezy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mInI m3 Hondeezy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is whats you guys are talking about right?the cup thing that attaches to the wrench.
http://www.partsamerica.com/pr...3401A</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, thats the style. Just need to get the proper size.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rsvmille)

i never used a tool to get my filter off just my meaty two hands ,,,one through the passenger side (strugle) with my right ,and by the exhaust downpipe with my left ..just buy the mention tools above and you should have no problems...and i know you will ask how to reset your oil indactor light ...turn your key to the on position (dont start your car)....hold the reset button on the dash for 10 seconds until it starts to blink.. let go of the reset button...push it in again for 5 more seconds and it will reset to 100% oil life...

Quick Reply: Oil-Change trouble on an Si?