Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin

Woke up this morning, and noticed I had a VERY pudgy drive front tire. Put some air in it, took it to Tire Kingdom. Low and behold, I have not one, but two screws in my tire. One is in the middle, the other is near the sidewall. Unfortunately they can not patch it b/c its near the sidewall. That tire is not that old (I got two new front tires/rims on 4/27/07). I told him I wasnt paying full price for the tire, and that I wanted it prorated and applied to the new tire. I was told to call Michelin. Apparently I can file a claim with Michelin and they will figure out the prorate/discount I will get on the new tire.

That is currently where I am right now. I have to go back to Tire Kingdom and get them to do a tread reading on the tire and give Michelin the info. TK also told me that my right rear was showing bad signs of wear, however, they said my alignment looked good. I am filing a claim on that tire too. Apparently Michelin tires come with a 6 year limited warranty.

I will keep you updated on what kind of prorate/discount I get for the new tires.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Michelin (SI_you_later)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SI_you_later &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">(I got two new front tires/rims on 4/27/07)</TD></TR></TABLE>
did you get these tires from Tire Kingdom?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK. I am a little confused. Car comes with michelins. gotcha. you said you replaced "front tires/rims" so the front of your car has aftermarket wheels and new michelin tires from Tire Kingdom.

screws in front tire = Tire Kingdom problem (if you bought their warranty)

bad wear on back tire = honda problem (cause those tires are original right?)

about the michelin warranty "All Michelin® tires have a limited warranty, which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first."

I don't think that covers screws, but it might cover weird wear.. dunno though. let us know how it turns out... but any clarification might help us understand
Old 08-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Michelin (BAR296)

Nope. Two of the tires are the originals that came with the car (17k miles on those tires). Two of them were replaced when I wrecked my car (4k miles on those tires). One of the girls who works with me, brother works up there so I get good treatment.

::Edit for explanation::

I got in a wreck in April (I did not post anything about it on this board). I had to replace two tires and two rims. I do not have any type of warranty on any of the tires.

::End of Edit::

Well when I called to file the claim she did not tell me then that the tire w/ the screws in it would not be covered, so I'm going to try to stay optimistic.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gotcha

I'm all caught up..lol. let us know how it goes
Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 PM

im gonna go throw a box of screws in the road and drive over them. then im headed to tire kingdom! FTMFW
Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SI_you_later &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do not have any type of warranty on any of the tires</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ok, so you cant be mad at Tire Kingdom.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrmmm...I think a couple of you are confused.

Before I update you on the how it went, let me clear the air.

a) I am not mad at Tire Kingdom. The only reason I went up there is b/c they take good care of me (partly because a girl I work with, her brother is the manager there).

b) Tire Kingdom really didn't do anything for me...all they did was get specs (ie tread depth, mileage, etc) off the tire to give to Michelin. You could go to any tire company and they "should" do the same for you.

So on to the results. Basically they are prorating the tire with the screw at 75% (I only pay 25% of the total cost). The tire with the improper tread, they are giving me a 50% prorate. They are doing this out of "good will"...they normally don't do these kind of things. He said that it is probably a result that they want me as a Michelin customer and due to the fact that those tires cost an arm and a leg.

So I am getting two brand new Michelins, mounted, balanced, and rotated for the price of one Michelin tire (125% discount on two tires, for all you non math majors). Winner winner chicken dinner!!

So in the end, I will say it doesn't hurt to file a claim with Michelin. You may end up getting a good will discount like I did.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SI_you_later)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SI_you_later &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
a) I am not mad at Tire Kingdom. The only reason I went up there is b/c they take good care of me (partly because a girl I work with, her brother is the manager there).

b) Tire Kingdom really didn't do anything for me...all they did was get specs (ie tread depth, mileage, etc) off the tire to give to Michelin. You could go to any tire company and they "should" do the same for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Ahhhhh 10-4 good buddy. Sorry bout the confusion, didnt mean no harm.
Yes, winner winner chicken dinner indeed
Old 08-22-2007, 03:15 PM

that explains it a lil better. but still, if you run over a nail/screw, you should be responsible for its replacement. not the manufacture. just my .02
Old 08-22-2007, 03:36 PM

sounds like you got pretty lucky, they usually only grant warranty on tires that get the "sidewall bubbles"
Old 08-23-2007, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (07whiteFG)

Yea, I did get lucky. But what can I say, they did a good will for a good guy!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SI_you_later)

id like to know what the outcome is with michelin.... my work vehicles suck up nails all the time (roofing company)
Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic1234)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic1234 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id like to know what the outcome is with michelin.... my work vehicles suck up nails all the time (roofing company) </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SI_you_later &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hrmmm...I think a couple of you are confused.

So on to the results. Basically they are prorating the tire with the screw at 75% (I only pay 25% of the total cost). The tire with the improper tread, they are giving me a 50% prorate. They are doing this out of "good will"...they normally don't do these kind of things. He said that it is probably a result that they want me as a Michelin customer and due to the fact that those tires cost an arm and a leg.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IT GUY)

^ lack of Zzz... i got it now. thanks