Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Low Tire Pressure Warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Tire Pressure Warning

Mine is a 2014 LX 5sp stick shift. Got about 900miles on it since May, and it's going in for service as listed below - could just be a low voltage problem caused by #3 below.
-Dave

1) "Passenger Airbag" OFF white light indicator turns on during driving. Should be off (not visible) during normal driving if nothing is on the passenger seat.

2) Low Tire Pressure warning symbol and Info message comes on. I have re-inflated the tires to proper settings and following the "calibration" and "reset" instructions. 2014_Civic_4D_LX-HF_Tire_Pressure_Monitoring_System_(TPMS).PDF.
This turned off the warning. But after about 300 miles of highway driving, the warning has come back on, despite the fact that the tires are at perfect pressure.

3) Dealer installed theft system is still in the car, near the battery - despite this feature being turned off - it has not been removed from the car, and will in fact cause problems - electrical likely. And will make it more difficult to install new batteries and service the vehicle. This must be uninstalled completely and removed from the vehicle, to make the car factory new.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:50 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Low Tire Pressure Warning

1.) & 2.) = Welcome to the new Hondas. My airbag light flashes on and off at random while driving and I get random TPMS lights as does everyone I know that owns a new Honda. Seems like my friends with Accords have even more issues with the TPMS than I do though.

3.) So they installed an aftermarket alarm rather than a factory one?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the car at the dealer now, being looked at for 1&2 above. In regard to the TPMS, here's a link to my referenced document: http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/inf...m-%28TPMS%29/4
Even while I waited at the dealer to get a shuttle ride, an older Civic came in with a TPMS question - they simply had low pressure.

3) re: Dealer installed alarm - indeed the dealer had their extra alarm in the car, but it's disabled, so I'm only using the factory alarm, and the dealer alarm is not drawing current (so they say, it's under the dash). That big black box wired into the battery that I thought was the dealer alarm? That's the onboard computer, apparently.
-Dave
Old 06-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TPMS - you can just add air if its low and re-calibrate in the menu from the steering wheel controls.

Weather can affect your tire pressure. When riding on the highway your wheel gets hot and expands so the monitor thinks you're low in air.

The dealer installed alarm systems are garbage. Was it a 'Karr' alarm? The unit itself while disabled will not effect your car in anyways. Remove it entirely would be great, but doesn't do much besides being in the way when disabled.

Airbags lights come on I believe when no one is sitting shot gun and vice versa.

Congrats on the new car. I am also a fellow 2014 honda civic lx 5 speed steel metallic
Old 06-16-2014, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Under warranty, the dealer:
1) also said the Karr security module (under the dash) is not active and not drawing current.

2) airbag light is normal.

3) Hooked up the dealer's computer and performed diagnostics and said there was nothing wrong with the TPMS. They said they did a low level recalibration, whatever that is... and also made sure the software was up to date (but did not say if an update was performed).

I had already performed the TPMS recalibration once before, around 300 mi. ago. We'll see if the new cal. works. However, IMHO, the RANGE of TPMS needs to be widened (and user settable). I don't want to know if my tires get hot or cold and change by 2 psi -that's ridiculous. I'd say +/-10psi would be fine. If they get down to 25psi, sure let me know. Or over 40. etc. Otherwise the system is useless.

-D
Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 AM
I am SO fancy!

Originally Posted by airmax
Weather can affect your tire pressure. When riding on the highway your wheel gets hot and expands so the monitor thinks you're low in air.
That only thousanths of an inch (single digits) over all in either direction, so the volume change is very small.

The air inside the tires have a larger effect. PV=NRT says that the pressure should increase proportionally as temperature (in Kelvin).

I'm being generous with the calculations, but volume change would only decrease pressure maybe 1/10 of a PSI, where the air itself would increase around 6 PSI.