Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Koni Str.t with Stock Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Str.t with Stock Springs

I know you guys see posts like this all the time, but im a noob in this arena and couldn't find people asking about similar setups.

I got an 06 si coupe on stock shocks and struts. Its my DD and i like to have fun with it once in awhile. I do not want to lower it.

1. Koni Str.ts with Stock Springs. Can it work? (I.E id like to just swap them out)

2. Are the str.ts bolt ins? (I.E i dont want to have to modify anything to get them to fit)

3. Any idea how the ride might be with this setup?

Let me know and thank you in advance for any and all helpful advice.

Last edited by PhilUp24; 08-07-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Koni Str.t with Stock Springs

Well.. I went ahead and ordered the Konis anyway. A buddy of mine says itll be a little better than stock which is all i was aiming for. He also suggested that i go ahead get new springs for a mild drop and just do it all at once... Im not sure yet, but if i do, any recommendations? Im seeing H&R sports being paired with the Str.ts in a few posts.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed Str.t's on stock springs, and yes, they'll just bolt in provided nothing is seized. Str.t's are really just basic oem replacements, so I'm not sure how durable they'll be with any drop. I only wanted Koni's basic line for now to replace blown original shocks so I could learn more about spring rates, handling, etc on the autoX courses before upgrading to the higher end stuff

Personally, if I went with lowering springs I would have gone with koni sports. But someone with more experience in pairing shocks/springs should probably chime in..... if they exist on this site anymore. People here get really chapped with basic questions i noticed.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well closer to stock is what i was looking for to begin with so i think this setup will work. I had not planned on lowering so its not too big of a deal. My friend just made it sound appealing so it got me curious. And i know what you mean about some of the people. Everyone is new to this at some point, right. Thank you for the feedback, Grade.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the basic idea is the lower you go, the higher the spring rates are so you dont bottom out, and higher spring rates require more dampening than OEM shocks provide, so you may be bouncy on lowering springs with OEM style shocks. However, as mentioned, I'm no expert, so I'm sure you can lower some without it being a huge issue using those shocks.

Given lowering springs, you will probably need to trim the OEM bump stops so you're not always riding on them.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Grade50
I think the basic idea is the lower you go, the higher the spring rates are so you dont bottom out, and higher spring rates require more dampening than OEM shocks provide, so you may be bouncy on lowering springs with OEM style shocks. However, as mentioned, I'm no expert, so I'm sure you can lower some without it being a huge issue using those shocks.

Given lowering springs, you will probably need to trim the OEM bump stops so you're not always riding on them.
Bingo.

The str.t's have valving that is nearly identical to stock valving rates. I wouldn't recommend using any lowering spring on them personally. The only thing you might be able to get away with is Eibach's ProKit, which is a very mild drop and therefore relatively close to stock spring rates.

Anything more than that, I would use Koni's Yellows which will pretty much handle anything under the sun that's out of the box from most vendors.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AFH-Parts
Bingo.

The str.t's have valving that is nearly identical to stock valving rates. I wouldn't recommend using any lowering spring on them personally. The only thing you might be able to get away with is Eibach's ProKit, which is a very mild drop and therefore relatively close to stock spring rates.

Anything more than that, I would use Koni's Yellows which will pretty much handle anything under the sun that's out of the box from most vendors.
Awesome! So i think im just going to stick to the original plan and keep it on stock springs. When im absolutely sure i want to drop it a bit, ill get the oppropriate shock/Struts.... probably yellows... Im anxious for these new ones to arrive though My current setup is factory stock and they are pretty shot. Whoever had it before me, never bothered to replace them. Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The SRT.Ts will work on most front drop springs that have near identical spring rates, but yellows are required for the rears usually.

I have neuspeed sports and STR.TS in the front and yellows in the rear. handles great and very comfortable.