Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Dealership informs me I need an engine replaced at 200Kmiles??help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Dealership informs me I need an engine replaced at 200Kmiles??help

I have a 2008 civic and have always used synthetic oil. The engine is making tapping noise at certain RPMs and torque, more often when in neutral. I have never had the valves adjusted after 200,000 miles and took the car in to have that done. But the Dealership in Grand Blanc Mi is telling me to have the engine replace with a used one because the noise is coming from the bottom and is most likely the crankshaft bearings.

Does this sound right? How often has anyone heard of the bearing going bad at 200K miles? What does it sound like when the valves are out of adjustment? I do drive the vehicle hard, but mostly highway miles.

Jeremy
Bay City, Michigan
Old 05-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dealership informs me I need an engine replaced at 200Kmiles??help

They tap fairly lightly and quickly. They tap quicker the higher the RPM.

Get at least a second opinion or get a mechanics stethoscope (about $15) and diagnose whether it's coming from the top or bottom yourself.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Lazlong, I had a mechanic friend from Chrysler listen to it and he believes it may be the lifters and on top of the engine, not from underneath. He asked if the engine has hydraulic lifters. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find spec. on my engine? maybe an exploded diagram or parts listing?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:23 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Originally Posted by gusstuff
Thanks Lazlong, I had a mechanic friend from Chrysler listen to it and he believes it may be the lifters and on top of the engine, not from underneath. He asked if the engine has hydraulic lifters. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find spec. on my engine? maybe an exploded diagram or parts listing?
You let a guy check out your engine that couldn't tell/didn't know if it had hydraulic lifters?

Did he think he was working on a car from 1981 or something?

Find a different mechanic. Now.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Todd00
You let a guy check out your engine that couldn't tell/didn't know if it had hydraulic lifters?

Did he think he was working on a car from 1981 or something?

Find a different mechanic. Now.
Hahaha I nearly fell of my chair!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy crap!!! Lifters? This ain't no single cam V8 we're dealing with!! It is timed by a chain on cam gears. The valves are spring returned.

All overhead cam engines use this method. The old fashioned v blocks with lifter rods are getting rare.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes yes, that was kind of a dumb comment. But the characteristics of my noise is very much like a failing lifter. And the guy that asked about the H. Lifters works for Chrysler. He only listed for the noise, obviously.

So I dropped the $210 for the first valve adjustment this car has had (200k miles) and that didn't fix the issue. Dealership (Bay City, Mi) said no issues. Still trying to figure this out. I had to drop off and pick up the vehicle after hours, so I'll be calling the dealership back to ask about this noise.

Are engine bearing failures at 200k M. a regular thing with this engine? Or do I have the rare case?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Trial User

Go to performance shop and put a better engine in.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:11 PM
I said I don't want a title!

You have over 200k miles on your car. While Hondas run for longer than the normal domestic, 200k+ is still very good and you should consider yourself fortunate to not have had any issues until now.

What do you want? An engine only lasts so long until parts need to be replaced. I don't even see how this is a question. If you like the car, put a new motor in it or rebuild the one you have. Simple as that. You can't expect it to run forever.

Just don't let your Chrysler mechanic work on it. Did he check the dash for a 8-track audio deck as well?
Old 06-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a valve lash adjustment is in order here.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am surprised no one has mentioned LMAs yet... I am new to this generation of civic but in my old 98 I had a problem with a tapping noise and it turned out to be the LMAs which are relatively cheap. I would get a stethoscope or a long screwdriver and locate the sound. Next if it's in the head and the adjustment didn't do it I would replace the LMAs or clean them out with a wet sand. If it's not that and the noise is in the head you might need to take off the head and check the valves.
I hope my rant helped a little
Old 06-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For everyone's information, overhead cam engines can have hydraulic lifters. It's what the cam would act on to lift the valve. Mitsubishi's 4G64 had them and that' s a relatively modern engine. I believe SR20DET's and KA24's (nissan) also had these. They're like a shim and bucket lifter...but oil filled. They can get sticky.

I don't believe Honda has ever used them, however. The ticking noise in the OP's case could be a need for a valve adjustment...or it could be a bottom end knock.

Bottom end knocks usually result in metal flakes in the oil. Since he's been using syntehtic oil, it may have burned off enough oil to starve the motor at some point. You should always check oil levels regardless of what car you drive or what oil you use.

OP...was the oil ever low at some point? How was the level when the noise started?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-...5-speed-manual

Item #10 is the LMA(Lost motion assembly)

These used to be a common failure item and would cause a knocking/tapping sound on the top end. Might be worth investigating.