Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

civic standard security good enough?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic standard security good enough?

i live in oakland. planning to get a civic ex/lx. i live in a bad neighborhood that stole my integra gsr a few weeks ago.

the standard civic security only includes a immobilizer. is that good enough? i am thinking about getting the upgraded motion and sound sensor. does anyone know how much lojack cost for civic? i'll be parking on the street overnight sometimes.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lojack will be around $600..
:D
Old 09-05-2006, 03:32 PM
iDeNtiTy

whats a lowjack?

and if its that good its worth it... but not for an EX or LX.. but for an Si..

the Si is the ricers dream
Old 09-05-2006, 04:38 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (07CivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 07CivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats a lowjack?

and if its that good its worth it... but not for an EX or LX.. but for an Si..

the Si is the ricers dream</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right, history shows that no one has ever had their EX or LX stolen.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Re: (eL)

what the heck is a immobilizer.
stock alarms are usually crap.
i mean my car civic only has panic button and open/lock door on the key.
it also beeps constantly if the door is open of car starts without key.
i got the jap version . civic sedan 06
Old 09-05-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: (yappy)

i dont know how good it is but when i got my si i got the alarm system and passed on the lojack.. only because honda said if u have the alarm system and your car is stolen they will give u a full refund of the whole amount u paid for the car plus credit u the difference if the price happens to go up on em..
lojack would have been about 12-13 bucks more a month....
didn't really feel the need to spend that much more extra a month if i can get the car replaced for free.. and plus i think we'd all much rather be able to get a brand new car versus our old one back thats been driven like hell probably and stripped
Old 09-05-2006, 06:24 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (import_girl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by import_girl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honda said if u have the alarm system and your car is stolen they will give u a full refund of the whole amount u paid for the car plus credit u the difference if the price happens to go up on em..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you believe that no 2006 Civics will get stolen? Are you serious? I'd love to see you get a full refund for your stolen car. If honda gives you money, I'll gladly chip in to buy you new wheels for your new car.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Re: (eL)

lol.. im not sayin it wont..... but screw it..... its part of the warranty with the alarm system.. they had it in the brochure and the finance manager said so also..... well i guess i'll have to find out what they'd really do if it ever happened.... hopefully not tho.. i think ill have to kill somebody!!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by import_girl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol.. im not sayin it wont..... but screw it..... its part of the warranty with the alarm system.. they had it in the brochure and the finance manager said so also..... well i guess i'll have to find out what they'd really do if it ever happened.... hopefully not tho.. i think ill have to kill somebody!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

is that with the standard system on the car or an extra alarm? the only alarm i was told about at the dealership was lojack
Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Make sure lojack covers your county!!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 PM

Default Re: (modifyORdie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by modifyORdie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is that with the standard system on the car or an extra alarm? the only alarm i was told about at the dealership was lojack</TD></TR></TABLE>

well im guessing it was extra. that freakin thing cost me $650. it was included in the "package" they try to add in.. it had the alarm... lojack... gap.. and that 7 yr warranty.
the dude said the alarm was already installed they will jus disarm it tho if u didnt want it... then he kept emphasizing the fact that they will replace your car if it's stolen.......which convinced me to get that instead of lojack. i forgot what the name of the alarm is called tho..... but i think its thru some other company and then hondas who reimburses u.... i have no idea
Old 09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Isn't that what the insurance company is supposed to do? Esp with gap insurance.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by import_girl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well im guessing it was extra. that freakin thing cost me $650. it was included in the "package" they try to add in.. it had the alarm... lojack... gap.. and that 7 yr warranty.
the dude said the alarm was already installed they will jus disarm it tho if u didnt want it... then he kept emphasizing the fact that they will replace your car if it's stolen.......which convinced me to get that instead of lojack. i forgot what the name of the alarm is called tho..... but i think its thru some other company and then hondas who reimburses u.... i have no idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry to use you as an example

but the above is a perfect example of evil dealer tactics, people who buy things without looking into it OR in a rush to just get the car, yes them to death and go.

Millions of dollars a year from consumers .... wasted
to fatten pockets

SAd

Old 09-05-2006, 11:18 PM

Default Re: civic standard security good enough? (aznboi04k)

I got lojack installed a few days later
when I got my Si. Cost me $980 and
that's with the early warning keychain.
Though I feel more safe with lojack,
I still get concern because
I LOVE MY HONDA!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

God bless GAP insurance...
Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 AM

Default Re: (Demonis)

i didnt get gap....but lojack finally came to tn and im really thinking about saving up $$ for it....im freaking paranoid about going anywhere, even to school. and everytime i park and leave the si i look at it as if it might be the last time i see it...and i havent even made one payment on it yet....sucks ******* thieves

btw the way.....ive got about a million mexicans living in 2 apartments next to me (i swear theres a different one everytime i see them) and they keep pacing around both my cars and looking in the windows and ****......well monday they were ******* leaning.....yes LEANING on my teg and just staring into my si....i mean...how the expletive are you going to just sit on some strangers car...so im even more paranoid now...i swear they're trying to think of ways to steal them....can i call the cops for something like that? mum said no...but i really want to...i would have been even more ticked off if the teg was painted and they were sitting on it. im going to have dad teach me how to use a bb gun
Old 09-06-2006, 05:43 PM

owning a car isn't suppose to be this stressful! living isn't worth living anymore.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Re: (aznboi04k)

i know its killing me
Old 09-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was told you can only get gap insurance if you lease a car but i think that is wrong ?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic standard security good enough? (jonness)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got lojack installed a few days later
when I got my Si. Cost me $980 and
that's with the early warning keychain.
Though I feel more safe with lojack,
I still get concern because
I LOVE MY HONDA!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I have LoJack w/early warning, Silent Security "Glass and body panel acid etchings" and stock alrams sys and I still worry. But I worry more for carless people bumping my car while its parked. Still thought of maybe getting an aftermarket arlarm sys.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yappy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yappy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what the heck is a immobilizer.
stock alarms are usually crap.
i mean my car civic only has panic button and open/lock door on the key.
it also beeps constantly if the door is open of car starts without key.
i got the jap version . civic sedan 06</TD></TR></TABLE>

An immobilizer is a chip thats in your key that transmists a signal to the ignition system so your car will start. The reciever is part of the ignition cylinder and only works if the key is within range(IE in the cylinder). The newer Honda sidewinder keys have a rolling code for the immoblizier which is similar to that of a garage door system ... the code is constantly changing(makes duplicating the code practically impossible). Basically any car equipped with an immoblizier system is "unstealable"... obviously if someone wants your car bad enough they are going to get it(flat bed tow truck, etc), but Hondas security systems on the newer vehicles are suprisingly effective,.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznboi04k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i live in oakland. planning to get a civic ex/lx. i live in a bad neighborhood that stole my integra gsr a few weeks ago.

the standard civic security only includes a immobilizer. is that good enough? i am thinking about getting the upgraded motion and sound sensor. does anyone know how much lojack cost for civic? i'll be parking on the street overnight sometimes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm installing a motion and sound sensor system on my Si in a week. The immobilizer is awesome and will keep my car from getting taken by joy riders, but I'm more worried about the morons downstairs slamming their door against my car, and the random car stereo/personal belongings theft that happens in my area.

Edit: Oh, and in Oakland (I'm from Santa Barbara, CA, and have stayed in Oakland a few times), I'd seriously get Lojack.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the factory immobilizer security in my SI. In couple weeks I am having a Python 1800 w/remote start installed. I am getting a deal on it from the guys I had do the custom installation on the stereo/nav/dvd system. It is going cost me $300 installed. I believe the unit itself retails for around $499.

The Python 1800 is a nice unit. The key chain control tells you what area of the car has been breached (Door, trunk, hood, ect). I just need to remember to keep my car in neutral it I am going to use the remote start feature.

As for low-jack, I was thinking of this as well. However, the Eclipse Nav/DVD system I had installed has a built in GPS tracker in case the unit is stolen. I figure I am covered there.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:17 PM

Default Re: civic standard security good enough? (Hellzcivic)

You guys are paying for lojack yet 15% of the cars stolen with lojack have been recovered.
Reason why is because not all police cars are equiped with lojack antenna to track down stolen vehicles. All it saves u is just insurance. Everything is just bad.
The old lojack system relied upon having police cars that had a special lojack reciver system installed... you can see if a policecar has it because it will have 4 antennas drilled in the roof, about 8 inches apart arranged like a square. If there was no police car around that has these antennas, there was no way they could find your car. New ones rely on GPS. However, that system is so new and not perfect at all.

Get what I'm saying?
Having it installed for 900 bux
and get a 70 buck deduction a yr by your insurance company is not worth at all.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by import_girl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know how good it is but when i got my si i got the alarm system and passed on the lojack.. only because honda said if u have the alarm system and your car is stolen they will give u a full refund of the whole amount u paid for the car plus credit u the difference if the price happens to go up on em..
lojack would have been about 12-13 bucks more a month....
didn't really feel the need to spend that much more extra a month if i can get the car replaced for free.. and plus i think we'd all much rather be able to get a brand new car versus our old one back thats been driven like hell probably and stripped </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this in writing? If not you got scammed by your dealer

Quick Reply: civic standard security good enough?