Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Car won't start, bad ecm/relay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Car won't start, bad ecm/relay?

Hi all,

I just finished replacing my clutch this Sunday. After taking it for a test run and making sure it checked out ok I drove over to my mom's house (about 15 miles) and just as I was pulling into her drive way I felt my steering wheel lock up and my car softly died, as if I turned the key off.

I replaced my battery with her's, thinking it was probably dead from sitting without being connected/run for over a week, but it would not start. It sounds like it is turning over but it's as if there is no spark/fuel. About 25 minutes later I went back and tried to start it up, and it did. So I drove it home and thought nothing of it.

Then, this morning I came up to a stop sign after driving about 25 miles, put it in first gear to take off and just as I let out the clutch I heard click come from my dash board, and the malfunction indicator light turned on along with my CEL and Oil Pressure light, stalling my car. I gased it just as it was dying to prevent it from completely turning off and it kept driving fine for another 2 blocks. Shortly after however, I heard 3 clicks and my rpms whent down with each click untill it stalled and hasn't turned on since.

So now, my car sits outside my work and I can't work on it untill this weekend. The manager is cool with it being parked there.

As for the symptoms it does now, when I turn the key to position II, I don't hear the fuel pump turning on at all. My temp gauge doesn't show anything (it lights up but after rolling to full it rolls back down to nothing). The malfunction indicator lamp stays on all the time and my car turns over but will not start. My battery and connections are good, my fuel pump fuse looks ok, and I don't think I messed with any electricals while dropping my trany (aside from reverse light, speedometer, and MAF).

I went to Autozone for a code reader, connected it and found that there were no DTC's currently stored on the computer.

I'm thinking this sounds like something a main relay would do, but I also know that these cars use 11 relays so I don't want to just throw money at it.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

I can't work on it until this weekend but I would like some ideas on where to start when I am able to get to it.

The car is a 2006 Civic Dx with the R18. Bone stock on 72k miles.

Thanks in advance!