Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Brakes....slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes....slipping?

Hey, so I've noticed while driving around....that sometimes when I brake, the brakes feel like its skipping....I feel the brake pedal vibrate like the brakes are catching, then releasing and then catching again...not sure how to describe it. This happens a lot especially when the roads are uneven, say during a construction zone. As I brake and the car hits uneven surfaces, the brakes feel like they're "jumping." Anyone else have this issue? BTW, I have a 2009 Civic Si
Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes....slipping?

Yeah it's the ABS. Our cars are known for tripping the abs if you brake over a bump. Its common and there is no fix.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better tires will reduce the ABS intervention (i.e. you can brake harder before it kicks in, or brake the same amount now without it kicking in).

Braided steel brake lines will reduce the pedal kickback, but are a regular inspect and replace item (which OEM rubber lines are not). Purchase knowing that a daily driver will probably have to replace them every 2 to 3 years.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
Better tires will reduce the ABS intervention (i.e. you can brake harder before it kicks in, or brake the same amount now without it kicking in).

Braided steel brake lines will reduce the pedal kickback, but are a regular inspect and replace item (which OEM rubber lines are not). Purchase knowing that a daily driver will probably have to replace them every 2 to 3 years.
why do you have to replace the steel brake lines more often?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ajpturbopittsburgh
why do you have to replace the steel brake lines more often?
Dirt can get under the woven steel (get trapped there) and rub against the inner teflon line. This causes it to eventually tear/leak. Last thing you ever want is to lose brakes while moving.

OEM rubber lines do not suffer from this issue, and are (more or less) good for the life of the car.

Running a set of Goodridge lines myself. 2 years now, no signs of damage yet, but since its the brakes they'll be replaced this year anyway.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
Dirt can get under the woven steel (get trapped there) and rub against the inner teflon line. This causes it to eventually tear/leak. Last thing you ever want is to lose brakes while moving.

OEM rubber lines do not suffer from this issue, and are (more or less) good for the life of the car.

Running a set of Goodridge lines myself. 2 years now, no signs of damage yet, but since its the brakes they'll be replaced this year anyway.
I've always replaced steel lines every 3-4 years. I also do so on all steel lines, including radiator.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Road House

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply avoid braking over bumps.

Hard brake...release over bump...hard brake...release over bump. Etc.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FijiBlueFG2
I simply avoid braking over bumps.

Hard brake...release over bump...hard brake...release over bump. Etc.
Yeah, that's what I do too.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as already mentioned, it's the abs kicking in. i noticed that when i installed my new suspension this problem got a lot worse, as with the stiffer suspension the tires have less grip over bumps. just one of those things that you gotta learn to compensate for (braking earlier, etc).
Old 11-10-2015, 12:46 AM
Trial User

Icon4 Re: Brakes....slipping?

omg...i live in Montreal...and...there are bumps and potholes, etc, all over the place. the brakes slipping scares the **** out of me... why the **** did Honda let this pass? Is there any way to upgrade something so that this just doesn't friggin do it anymore?!
Old 11-10-2015, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoiding hitting the potholes?

There is no magic cure to it. Yes getting better tires will reduce the affect of it as well as the SS lines. Also if your car has a coilover kit well the stiffer suspension will amplify the issue much more just like vladd mentioned.

I would be glad to know that it's kicking in as at least you know it's working and when the winter weather comes it will be able to assist you in braking in terrible road conditions during the winter.

Honestly since I've had better tires and upgraded my braking system the abs only kicks in when I hit a bump for a few small seconds. This is due to also me running a very stiff suspension but apart from that it rarely ever kicks in... I also avoid bumps and potholes as much as I can!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:13 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Originally Posted by Christine Nadon
omg...i live in Montreal...and...there are bumps and potholes, etc, all over the place. the brakes slipping scares the **** out of me... why the **** did Honda let this pass? Is there any way to upgrade something so that this just doesn't friggin do it anymore?!

There are aftermarket shocks and/or coilovers that will damp out bumps better than the crashy stock dampers. Most quality aftermarket street setups will damp better than stock.

Also...try not to hit potholes. Its not just a honda issue. The car has a stiff suspension and sensitive ABS.

Or you're having another issue that we're not understanding.

You might also want to check your alignment and condition of shocks.

Last edited by B serious; 11-12-2015 at 04:36 AM.