Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

The biggest OEM Honda brake upgrade ever - Custom mounted Acura RL calipers

Old 08-07-2007, 09:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The biggest OEM Honda brake upgrade ever - Custom mounted Acura RL calipers

Ladies and Gentlemen. As some of you may know, I'm a bit of a brake *****. I'm a big advocate of OEM Honda upgrades. They use OEM parts, there a lot cheaper than aftermarket setups, more powerful and reliable than big brake kits, and require inexpensive replacement parts as well as access to any type of pad/rotor style. Its come to my attention that a lot of new Civic Si owners are looking for brake upgrades. So.... now I'm working on the biggest OEM upgrade ever. The largest OEM Acura brakes are from the new Acura RL, a whole 12.6" rotor, and a BIG pad. This uses an aluminum 4 piston caliper. For those of you with 17s and 18s, I am working on a custom bracket to fit these to our cars.

Here's the main event. Weighing in at just over 8lbs loaded, all the way from Advics....here he is...the Acura RL caliper!

The 12.6" rotor

This is over an 11.8" rotor, redone to 4x100 (for older DX civics).

They will be available with the 12.3" and 12.6" rotors.

I aim to do a write up in the future, (as well as sell these as a kit), and retrofit them to my car. just FYI, this is bigger (and better) than the TL Brembo setup, it is not the same.

My progress now is still testing, but my custom brackets should be tapped sometime this week.

This is the 11.8" form with the old civic DX knuckles, I don't have any mounted to a new civic knuckle, but I'll try and get some.

This is not a for sale thread, but if anyone is interested, PM me. These kits will be about a grand (unlike the aftermarket ones goin for 2-3k.) More info to come soon.

Update: The 11.8" setup is being modded tomorrow. I expect to have this setup within three days. The 12.3" and 12.6" will be bolted together in about a weeks time.

Update: The brackets have been tapped and I'm close to being done. Here is the brackets bolted to the caliper

And what has been made.

UPDATE: This is the 11.8" kit for the DX civic knuckle. The 12.3" setup for the 06 Civics is on its way next.

Modified by BrakeExpert at 2:51 AM 8/22/2007
Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats needed for it to work?
calipers
discs
brackets (the ones youre makin)
?
?
?

props for a great idea!!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: (misterghost)

in for future info.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (misterghost)

You will need the calipers, pads, custom brackets I'm making, rotors, hardlines and softlines, and (if you have a non-Si model) a 1" master cylinder. The kit I'm making is a bolt on to the knuckle.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IGotNoSwap)

Sick idea!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cnyej1)

wow i would be pretty interested in this.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Re: (originalg00kster)

Please put me on the mailing list!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The biggest OEM Honda brake upgrade ever - Custom mounted Acura RL calipers (BrakeExpert)

Old 08-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The biggest OEM Honda brake upgrade ever - Custom mounted Acura RL calipers (BrakeExpert)

"I aim to do a write up in the future, (as well as sell these as a kit), and retrofit them to my car. just FYI, this is bigger (and better) than the TL Brembo setup, it is not the same."

Do you have some statistics to back-up your claim, or is this just your opinion?

I looked at the Acrua retro's offerred by FastBrakes and am not conviced that these Acrua TL retro's (or the one you are offerring) are "better" than the Brembo kit designed for the car.

Honestly, I would really like to see something that shows this set-up is better. I am currently having the Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brakes installed in my SI. The reason I selected these was because they were claimed as "the best" as well.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The biggest OEM Honda brake upgrade ever - Custom mounted Acura RL calipers (Hellzcivic)

Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 PM
* B A N N E D *

<---- waits patiently for end results.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: The biggest OEM Honda brake upgrade ever - Custom mounted Acura RL calipers (Hellzcivic)

I'll try and get you some numbers. Heres what I've got:

The RL takes a 28mm rotor opposed to the 25mm rotor of the TL. The RL is a 12.6" over the 12.3" . The big real advantages are...weight mainly. But also the pad. Pad shape is a HUGE factor in brake setups. The Brembo caliper takes a pad that is a pie wedge shape, whereas the RL takes that wierd Honda shape, which incorportates uneven angles front and back to reduce noise and a whole shape to account for better radial heat distribution to prevent hot spots. The RL also uses a real overhead pad 'spring' which keeps the pads at a parallel to the rotor since they are held that way. Also the shim is a full length insted of a half length. I'll get back to ya later.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Me Gusta History

So this will also work with non-Si's if you get it to fit? This would be awesome.

I was considering just upgrading the pads and rotors with a new car, but if this is available, it would win over just a basic upgrade.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: The biggest OEM Honda brake upgrade ever - Custom mounted Acura RL calipers (accordselux)

Yes this will also work on non-Si models. Yeah this is probably as good (and even better than some) aftermarket brake kits and big brake kits and a lot cheaper too.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 PM

subcribed
Old 08-09-2007, 03:06 AM

wouldn't you need to redrill the rotors for the new civic's as well?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: The biggest OEM Honda brake upgrade ever - Custom mounted Acura RL calipers (crxgator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxgator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wouldn't you need to redrill the rotors for the new civic's as well?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're all 5x114.3
Old 08-09-2007, 05:56 AM

Default Re: The biggest OEM Honda brake upgrade ever - Custom mounted Acura RL calipers (accordselux)

i thought the new RL had a different bolt pattern?

edit - *they do, the new RL's bolt pattern is 5 x 120...*
Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: The biggest OEM Honda brake upgrade ever - Custom mounted Acura RL calipers (crxgator)

I thought he was using TL or NSX rotors with RL calipers?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A grand for a honda made brake kit would be great, would like to see stopping distances from OEM and then RL calipers on an Si. Would also like to know how they fit under stock wheels. (17" Si)
Old 08-09-2007, 06:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought he was using TL or NSX rotors with RL calipers?</TD></TR></TABLE>

"The largest OEM Acura brakes are from the new Acura RL, a whole 12.6" rotor, and a BIG pad. "
Old 08-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Me Gusta History

i thought he was offering 12.3" rotors as well, I figured that would be from the NSX or some such ::shrugs::
Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

No the 12.3" are actually from the new TL brembo on account of the centerbore is the same size. The NSX Zanardi rotors could be used, but you'd need a centering ring. These calipers are from the newest RL, the previous generation took a single piston floating caliper. And yes, for the 12.6" rotors, the rotors do need a slight redrill because the RL is a 5x120 pattern (thanks a lot Acura).
Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would this brake upgrade work with 16" rims? or are they too small? how about the offset?
Old 08-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Me Gusta History

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrakeExpert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No the 12.3" are actually from the new TL brembo on account of the centerbore is the same size. The NSX Zanardi rotors could be used, but you'd need a centering ring. These calipers are from the newest RL, the previous generation took a single piston floating caliper. And yes, for the 12.6" rotors, the rotors do need a slight redrill because the RL is a 5x120 pattern (thanks a lot Acura).</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, for those with comprehension issues like me, this kit uses:

Acura RL calipers
Acura TL rotors (no redrilling necessary)

?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The biggest OEM Honda brake upgrade ever - Custom mounted Acura RL calipers