Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

4th grinding

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4th grinding

(2006 Civic Si Coupe)(k20 exedy stage one clutch and exedy lightweight flywheel. I was messing around and trying to start speed shifting. But now 4th scratches just a little when going into gear. Should I try changing the mtf? Gm synchromesh or penzoil or another brand? And this is my gear not my clutch right? Worst comes to worst I can drop the tranny and replace the gears or syncros? Help is appreciated thanks guys.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:50 AM
W95 gives me a hard-on

Default Re: 4th grinding

try amsoil mtf.. if it continues grinding then you might need to replace the synchro.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by foumer
try amsoil mtf.. if it continues grinding then you might need to replace the synchro.
would you recommend amsoil mtf over gm? I've read reviews about the gm mtf stopping the grinds. Is the amsoil synchromesh too?
Old 12-13-2016, 04:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lolv8s
(2006 Civic Si Coupe)(k20 exedy stage one clutch and exedy lightweight flywheel. I was messing around and trying to start speed shifting. But now 4th scratches just a little when going into gear. Should I try changing the mtf? Gm synchromesh or penzoil or another brand? And this is my gear not my clutch right? Worst comes to worst I can drop the tranny and replace the gears or syncros? Help is appreciated thanks guys.
That sucks expensive result of speed shifting....can run gm or amsol, but I would get a magnetic drain plug because I guarantee you got gold gremlins in your oil waiting to mess things up.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m90polk1
That sucks expensive result of speed shifting....can run gm or amsol, but I would get a magnetic drain plug because I guarantee you got gold gremlins in your oil waiting to mess things up.
okay I intend on changing the trans fluid asap then. can I get amsoil from autozone or oreilly's? if not probably gonna run by a gm. I have an extendable magnet. Should I just run it in and all around the trans case when I change the MTF?
Old 12-13-2016, 11:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

okay I intend on changing the trans fluid asap then. can I get amsoil from autozone or oreilly's? if not probably gonna run by a gm. I have an extendable magnet. Should I just run it in and all around the trans case when I change the MTF?
i would just order the magnetic drain plug on eBay they are pretty cheap and the amsoil you might be able to get locally, if not just order it online. You need the magnetic drain plug because you wouldn't be able to get 99% of the shavings with a extendable magnet.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would just order the magnetic drain plug on eBay they are pretty cheap and the amsoil you might be able to get locally, if not just order it online. You need the magnetic drain plug because you wouldn't be able to get 99% of the shavings with a extendable magnet.
ok. valvoline and penzoil synchromesh are at my local autozone and oreilly's. Think i should order the Amsoil still? amsoil is more expensive and in Poland on ebay lol
Old 12-13-2016, 12:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ok. valvoline and penzoil synchromesh are at my local autozone and oreilly's. Think i should order the Amsoil still? amsoil is more expensive and in Poland on ebay lol
Completely up to your own personal preference, I have always used synchromesh (local and easy to get) but everyone has their preference.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Completely up to your own personal preference, I have always used synchromesh (local and easy to get) but everyone has their preference.
ok thanks man hope this saves my trans!
Old 12-13-2016, 12:29 PM
On vacation

You probably bent something like a shift fork.

Any stiffness or resistance in the shifter?
Old 12-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by testify
You probably bent something like a shift fork.

Any stiffness or resistance in the shifter?
not that I can tell. just feel it grind going into 4th. let me check it for any stiffness again. its barely a grind. like if you put pressure on it and shift fast like you barely can notice it.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:21 PM
On vacation

These transmissions don't like to he powershifted at all.

​​​​​​You might want to reexamine your plan of practicing transmission abuse, or switch to a car that doesn't mind a ham fisted driver.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These transmissions don't like to he powershifted at all.

​​​​​​You might want to reexamine your plan of practicing transmission abuse, or switch to a car that doesn't mind a ham fisted driver.
yeah i know i havent done it in my entire 3-4 years of ownership. just wanted to try it. not getting tried again.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it going to be my syncro or gear?
Old 12-21-2016, 08:51 AM
On vacation

You are going to have to remove the transmission and split the case to find out.

It's probably going to be cheaper to buy a working used transmission and install it.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are going to have to remove the transmission and split the case to find out.

It's probably going to be cheaper to buy a working used transmission and install it.
thats what i was thinking. would like an 04 rsx trans line up fine? rsx trans line up fine any year?
Old 12-22-2016, 06:54 AM
On vacation

The RSX trans doesn't have an LSD.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The RSX trans doesn't have an LSD.
do you know any good places to look for one? craigslist is kinda a gamble. mess around and get a trans even worse.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:21 AM
On vacation

No matter what it's a gamble when buying used.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah its just some places give return insurance. but youre right lol
Old 12-22-2016, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1k looks like the going price. hard to find a Civic Si one. more rsx ones. seems to be better to just buy a rebuild kit after i drop the trans and find out what its gonna be. drop it off at a trans shop if not do it myself.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

We don't recommend using any syncromesh oil. Honda fluid or Torco, GearX . Something that is made for Honda units. I would not buy a used trans and swap , you might end up with worst than what you have. Magnetic plug doesn't catch brass. That is the material synchros are made off. Drain completely and check the oil. To really know what is wrong with the trans opening and inspecting it is the only real way to know. Chances are that the sleeve and gear have damage and you need to change the set. Unfortunately the set is for third and fourth gear and comes with 3rd not 4th so 4th has to be purchased separately.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gearspeed-Performance
We don't recommend using any syncromesh oil. Honda fluid or Torco, GearX . Something that is made for Honda units. I would not buy a used trans and swap , you might end up with worst than what you have. Magnetic plug doesn't catch brass. That is the material synchros are made off. Drain completely and check the oil. To really know what is wrong with the trans opening and inspecting it is the only real way to know. Chances are that the sleeve and gear have damage and you need to change the set. Unfortunately the set is for third and fourth gear and comes with 3rd not 4th so 4th has to be purchased separately.
so i would buy a 4th gear set? and drain the synchromesh for honda oem or gear x as a try first? if changed the fluid three times lately. not really sure what to do now. is there a tutorial on here on installing the new gears? ive already searched and i couldnt find one. where could i purchase 4th?
Old 12-22-2016, 11:52 AM
On vacation

If you don't know how to pull gears and assemble transmissions a tutorial isn't going to be enough.

It is a complex job and requires specialized tools.

Truly one of those instances where if you have to ask...
Old 12-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you don't know how to pull gears and assemble transmissions a tutorial isn't going to be enough.

It is a complex job and requires specialized tools.

Truly one of those instances where if you have to ask...
alright. looks like the most cost effective way to go about this is to pull the trans out. drop it off at a transmission shop. have it repaired. and take it back and put it back in. and be without a car for a week or two depending on the shop.... i need to get my integra running.

Quick Reply: 4th grinding