Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

2010 Civic VP Questions

Old 10-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Civic VP Questions

Looking at buying a 2010 Civic VP. Price is right and only 40K miles on it. Which seem really low for a 2010.
Is there anything I should watch out for on these models? I've heard of engine block cracks on some earlier civics the years prior. I assume that's not an issue on this car?

I noticed from the carfax that the car has had two owners in its 40K mile life but no major service/issues reported on it. Should I be concerned about this at all?

Also I am not familiar with the VP model but see that it lacks some features I would like such as keyless entry (power locks at all) and shockingly no center arm rest.

Can these two things be added to this car after the fact?

This is the first car I've ever financed. I've always bought cars for less than $3000 my entire life. My current '98 civic has 270K miles on it but it's time for something new and I don't have the money to buy outright so I need to finance and I'm being very hesitant about things. I've never had a monthly car payment so I want something I like that will last. This car is sold through a Honda dealership. But I did notice that across the street that Suburu dealership they have a couple Civics that are the same year, different color. One that is the same price but an EX model with 102K miles on it and another that is an LX model, same year but $1200 more with 66K miles on it. More miles on both of those by higher trim levels.

Since I'm still rebuilding my credit I'm also concerned about where I can get financed. The guy at the Honda dealership said he probably do it at the downpayment ($500) and monthly price $215 I am after. But I don't want to make too many hard pulls on my credit report.

So much to think about.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2010 Civic VP Questions

If memory serves me, the VP is what they started calling the DX or base model. As you mentioned the vehicle does not come with power locks or the armrest console (I hate driving these without it). I also seem to remember the gauge cluster not being backlit during daytime driving and 15" steel wheels with plastic wheel cover. Aside from these items the car is identical to the LX.

I imagine it should be pretty straightforward to replace the center console with one from a higher grade. Finding one to replace it with will likely be your only road block.

There doesn't appear to be an accessory keyless system offered by Honda. If you were to add one using factory parts it would likely require the addition of a control unit, the switches, and actuators as well as modification or replacement of certain wiring harnesses. It would probably be easier to add an aftermarket system.

As as far as the block issues that plague some of these Civics, it only applies to 06-09 within certain VIN ranges. Your 10 would be fine.