Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

2006 Civic Hybrid Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 2006 Civic Hybrid Electrical Problems

Hello all!

First off, I am new to the forums. I joined because I have an issue I can't seem to solve with my 2006 civic hybrid.

It runs and drives perfect, then after about 20 minutes it throws four codes. P060a, P16d6, P16d5, and U0100. Freeze frame data shows battery voltage at 13.8v. IMA voltage is 180v. The only issue I can find in freeze frame data is vehicle speed shows up at 158mph.

The car still runs when the codes pop up, but the brake light, engine light, ima light, as well as a steering wheel light all come on, and the car won't shift out of gear unless you hit the manual release. CVT trans is also stuck in high gear so it wont' accelerate. It does this after about 20 minutes whether the car is running, or even if the ignition is on without the car running. You have to reset the battery and let it sit for a couple of hours before you can drive it for another 20 minutes. If you reset the battery and try to drive it right away the codes will come up within a minute or two.

I put a brand new 12v battery in it, and the IMA battery was rebuilt about 800 miles ago and all cells I put in had 6AH capacity or more and showed little drain over a week. (I am saying this because I know it seems like this is an IMA issue, but as I said the IMA voltage doesn't drop below 180v when the code comes on.)

I am totally stumped and would love anyone's input and expertise. I also pulled every fuse and relay one at a time to try and force all four codes (to isolate what circuit was malfunctioning), but I nothing gives me the same codes I seem to be getting. Thanks all for your time.

BTW I live in upstate new York so the car does have some light corrosion and stuff. I did clean what grounds I could find. I am pretty good with a V-OHM meter and have a simple OBDII scanner.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:11 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Electrical Problems

Can anyone answer the above post please? same codes and exact problems as described.. Honda civic hybrid 2005. It runs perfectly for first 25 mins and if you exceed that all the lights come on.. no accleration, check engine on, Power steering and VSA. i have to stop and put the car in parking mode.. but it gets locked into there.. have to wait 1 hour for it to cool down to start the car and drive for another 5 to 10 mins before it starts again.. the longer the car cools down the longer u drive to a maximum of 20 mins.. or i have to remove battery so that it resets the system.. wait for 1 min or 2min then start the car.. went to scan it and got the codes P060A, P16D6, P16D5, U100. It describes a PCM failure.

But im having a doubt if the PCM failed it would start at all, it happens when the car has pick up heats.. though its normal temperature for the car.

Oxygen sensor or anything else??

Before anyone points to the IMA pack.. please note that the IMA batery is a new pack.

12v battery also have been changed.

So please if anyone can answer or have been able to solve this type of problem.. respond its urgent!!
Old 03-28-2016, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello. I am the original poster. I diagnosed it as a bad ecm eventually. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed. I bought a used one for a hybrid on eBay for 80 bucks and towed the car to the dealer to get it reprogrammed. 10k miles later and still running great. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2016, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can determine if it's Ecm by letting car sit not running but with ignition on. Mine would light up after 15 minutes or so.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Trial User

Yeah if it stays idle also it would light up..

Thanks pal for replying
Just a last confirmation
The 2nd hand ecm u got off ebay.. was it the same serial number or a different one.. i just saw one on ebay coming from a 2012 hybrid.. would it fit?? I know i need to reprogrammed it
Old 04-14-2018, 05:56 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Carls47807
Hello. I am the original poster. I diagnosed it as a bad ecm eventually. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed. I bought a used one for a hybrid on eBay for 80 bucks and towed the car to the dealer to get it reprogrammed. 10k miles later and still running great. Good luck!
Hi i m have as same problem as u metion in post i been to Honda but they keep saying me that issue is IMA battery i did change it but still getting error if u can tell me replacing ecu/pcm is solve problem? thanks waiting for msg i have 2007 civic mileage is only 72000
Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Sarang Panchal

Hi i m have as same problem as u metion in post i been to Honda but they keep saying me that issue is IMA battery i did change it but still getting error if u can tell me replacing ecu/pcm is solve problem? thanks waiting for msg i have 2007 civic mileage is only 72000
Sarang,

i had the same problem that was mention at the top.

car runs ok until the engine heats up... then the dashboard lights just goes crazy.

i have put in a new Bumble Bee battery and changed out engine compartment battery (12V) too.

then i bought a OBDII code reader and pulled these codes

P16D6
P060A
P16D5

so i too a leap of faith and saw this thread and bought a Used ECU (the one that is in the engine compartment by the battery.
bought the ECU from EBAY for about 99 dollars shipped.

i drove the car when it was cold to the dealership and gave them the ECU to install into the car, also they need to program your keys into the New/Used Ebay ECU so the car can start.

anyways, after the ECU replacement, my Honda Civic Hybrid 2006 runs great ! i have 171,000 miles now.. my failure happened around 140,000 miles..
good luck !

Phamster
Old 10-05-2018, 04:31 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Carls47807
Hello all!

First off, I am new to the forums. I joined because I have an issue I can't seem to solve with my 2006 civic hybrid.

It runs and drives perfect, then after about 20 minutes it throws four codes. P060a, P16d6, P16d5, and U0100. Freeze frame data shows battery voltage at 13.8v. IMA voltage is 180v. The only issue I can find in freeze frame data is vehicle speed shows up at 158mph.

The car still runs when the codes pop up, but the brake light, engine light, ima light, as well as a steering wheel light all come on, and the car won't shift out of gear unless you hit the manual release. CVT trans is also stuck in high gear so it wont' accelerate. It does this after about 20 minutes whether the car is running, or even if the ignition is on without the car running. You have to reset the battery and let it sit for a couple of hours before you can drive it for another 20 minutes. If you reset the battery and try to drive it right away the codes will come up within a minute or two.

I put a brand new 12v battery in it, and the IMA battery was rebuilt about 800 miles ago and all cells I put in had 6AH capacity or more and showed little drain over a week. (I am saying this because I know it seems like this is an IMA issue, but as I said the IMA voltage doesn't drop below 180v when the code comes on.)

I am totally stumped and would love anyone's input and expertise. I also pulled every fuse and relay one at a time to try and force all four codes (to isolate what circuit was malfunctioning), but I nothing gives me the same codes I seem to be getting. Thanks all for your time.

BTW I live in upstate new York so the car does have some light corrosion and stuff. I did clean what grounds I could find. I am pretty good with a V-OHM meter and have a simple OBDII scanner.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by phamster
Sarang,

i had the same problem that was mention at the top.

car runs ok until the engine heats up... then the dashboard lights just goes crazy.

i have put in a new Bumble Bee battery and changed out engine compartment battery (12V) too.

then i bought a OBDII code reader and pulled these codes

P16D6
P060A
P16D5

so i too a leap of faith and saw this thread and bought a Used ECU (the one that is in the engine compartment by the battery.
bought the ECU from EBAY for about 99 dollars shipped.

i drove the car when it was cold to the dealership and gave them the ECU to install into the car, also they need to program your keys into the New/Used Ebay ECU so the car can start.

anyways, after the ECU replacement, my Honda Civic Hybrid 2006 runs great ! i have 171,000 miles now.. my failure happened around 140,000 miles..
good luck !

Phamster
Hi my name is Bobby and I just purchased a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid that's experiencing the same problem and throwing off the same codes
P16D6
P060A
P16D5
After driving the car for a while it gets stuck in park and I'm not able to put it in gear. What's the name of the part do I need to order? And what's the ballpark price do you think the Honda dealership would charge me for for installation and to reprogram key??? Thank you for all your help you are the best
Old 05-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DTC P060A:

PCM (A/T system) Internal Control Module Malfunction

NOTE: Before you troubleshoot, record all freeze data and any on-board snapshot, and review the general troubleshooting information.

Is DTC P060A indicated?

YES —

Go to step 4.

NO —

Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time.■
  1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
  2. Clear the DTC with the HDS.
  3. Check for Pending or Confirmed DTCs with the HDS.

Is DTC P060A indicated?

YES —

If the PCM was updated, substitute a known-good PCM, then recheck. If the PCM was substituted, go to step 1.

NO —

If the PCM was updated, troubleshooting is complete. If the PCM was substituted, replace the original PCM. If any other Pending or Confirmed DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.■
  1. Update the PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good PCM.
  2. Check for Pending or Confirmed DTCs with the HDS.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DTC P16D6:

IMA-CAN Malfunction (Internal Malfunction)

NOTE: Before you troubleshoot, record all freeze data and any on-board snapshot, and review the general troubleshooting information.

Is DTC P16D6 indicated?

YES —

Go to step 4.

NO —

Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time. If any other Pending or Confirmed DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.■

Is DTC P16D6 indicated?

YES —

If the PCM was updated, substitute a known-good PCM, then recheck. If the PCM was substituted, go to step 1.

NO —

If the PCM was updated, troubleshooting is complete. If the PCM was substituted, replace the original PCM. If any other Pending or Confirmed DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.■
  1. Update the PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good PCM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DTC P16D5:

F-CAN Malfunction (Internal Malfunction)

Is DTC P16D5 indicated?

YES —

Go to step 4.

NO —

Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time. If any other Pending or Confirmed DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.■

Is DTC P16D5 indicated?

YES —

NO —

Old 05-14-2019, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DTC U0100 (102):

F-CAN Malfunction (PCM (CVT System)-MCM)

NOTE:
Is DTC U0028 (107) indicated?

YES —

Do the troubleshooting for DTC U0028 (107).

NO —

Go to step 3.
  2. Check for Pending or Confirmed DTCs in the IMA SYSTEM with the HDS.

Is DTC U0100 (102) indicated?

YES —

Go to step 5.

NO —

Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the PCM and the MCM.■
  1. Clear the DTC with the HDS.

Is DTC U0100 (103) indicated?

YES —

Go to step 6.

NO —

Go to step 11.
  1. Check for Pending or Confirmed DTCs in the IMA SYSTEM with the HDS.

Are any Pending or Confirmed DTCs indicated?

YES —

Go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.■

NO —

Update the PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with an updated PCM, go to step 7. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good PCM, replace the original PCM, then go to step 7.
  1. Check for Pending or Confirmed DTCs in the PGM-FI SYSTEM and the CVT SYSTEM with the HDS.

YES —

Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the PCM, the BCM module, and the MCM, then go to step 1.

NO —

Go to step 10.

Does the screen indicate PASSED?

YES —

Troubleshooting is complete. If any other Pending or Confirmed DTCs were indicated in step 9, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.■

NO —

If the screen indicates FAILED, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the PCM, the BCM module, and the MCM, then go to step 1. If the screen indicates NOT COMPLETED, keep the ignition switch ON (II) until a result comes on.
  1. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC U0100 (102) in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.

YES —

Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the PCM, the BCM module, and the MCM. If the MCM was updated, substitute a known-good MCM, then recheck. If the MCM was substituted, go to step 1.

NO —

Go to step 13.
  1. Update the MCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good MCM.

YES —

If the MCM was updated, troubleshooting is complete. If the MCM was substituted, replace the original MCM. If any other Pending or Confirmed DTCs were indicated in step 12, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.■

NO —

If the screen indicates FAILED, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the PCM, the BCM module, and the MCM. If the MCM was updated, substitute a known-good MCM, then recheck. If the MCM was substituted, go to step 1. If the screen indicates NOT COMPLETED, keep the ignition switch ON (II) until a result comes on.
  1. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC U0100 (102) in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DTC U0100 (103):

F-CAN Malfunction (PCM (CVT System)-BCM Module)

NOTE:
Is DTC U0028 (108) indicated?

YES —

Do the troubleshooting for DTC U0028 (108).

NO —

Go to step 3.

YES —

Go to step 5.

NO —

Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the PCM and the BCM module.■

YES —

Go to step 6.

NO —

Go to step 11.

Are any Pending or Confirmed DTCs indicated?

YES —

Go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.■

NO —

Update the PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with an updated PCM, go to step 7. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good PCM, replace the original PCM, then go to step 7.
  1. Check for Pending or Confirmed DTCs in the PGM-FI SYSTEM and the CVT SYSTEM with the HDS.

Is DTC U0100 (103) indicated in the IMA SYSTEM?

YES —

Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the PCM, the BCM module, and the MCM, then go to step 1.

NO —

Go to step 10.

YES —

Troubleshooting is complete. If any other Pending or Confirmed DTCs were indicated in step 9, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.■

NO —

If the screen indicates FAILED, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the PCM, the BCM module, and the MCM, then go to step 1. If the screen indicates NOT COMPLETED, keep the ignition switch ON (II) until a result comes on.
  1. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC U0100 (103) in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.

YES —

Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the PCM, the BCM module, and the MCM. If the BCM module was updated, substitute a known-good BCM module, then recheck. If the BCM module was substituted, go to step 1.

NO —

Go to step 13.
  1. Update the BCM module if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good BCM module.

YES —

If the BCM module was updated, troubleshooting is complete. If the BCM module was substituted, replace the original BCM module. If any other Pending or Confirmed DTCs were indicated in step 12, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.■

NO —

If the screen indicates FAILED, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the PCM, the BCM module, and the MCM. If the BCM module was updated, substitute a known-good BCM module, then recheck. If the BCM module was substituted, go to step 1. If the screen indicates NOT COMPLETED, keep the ignition switch ON (II) until a result comes on.
  1. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC U0100 (103) in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.