Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Wiring turn signal mirrors 7th Gen civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring turn signal mirrors 7th Gen civic

I have recently purchased turn signals which stick to my mirrors. Coming from the LEDs are two wires. I removed my front bumper and my front lights and found the wires for the turn signals. The wires are red, black, and green..

I have tried wiring the two wires from the LEDs in several configurations (I believe the green wire controls the blinker) but I keep blowing fuses.. I have sarched several places but can not find any info on how to do this. Please help..
Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring turn signal mirrors 7th Gen civic

I found a diagram of the wiring for the turn signal lights"

I know that the circuit is a 7.5 amp so my question is how do I wire the additional turn signal light into the circuit with my current turn signal?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Basically one wire from the led will go to ground (black wire) and the other will go to the wire that controls the blinker. If you are unsure of which wire that is, an inexpensive test light is something handy to add to your tool box.

From this diagram it looks like green with red stripe controls left signal. Green with yellow stripe controls right signal.

If it keeps blowing fuses after wiring it up like this, it could be that the extra light is causing the circuit to pull more current than the fuse rating.

If no one gives you a definite answer by tomorrow I will check mine out with my test light and get back to you.

Last edited by cssmith; 10-14-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-15-2015, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cssmith
Basically one wire from the led will go to ground (black wire) and the other will go to the wire that controls the blinker. If you are unsure of which wire that is, an inexpensive test light is something handy to add to your tool box.

From this diagram it looks like green with red stripe controls left signal. Green with yellow stripe controls right signal.

If it keeps blowing fuses after wiring it up like this, it could be that the extra light is causing the circuit to pull more current than the fuse rating.

If no one gives you a definite answer by tomorrow I will check mine out with my test light and get back to you.
I personally think since LED pull less electric power in order to work them swiftly you need to add load resistors otherwise like you mentioned you are blowing fuses. Normal brake lamps or reverse lamps when you add a LED bulb those are fine but when ever a turn signal came there is always error/blown fuses because you'll need the right load resister for those. Hope that helps.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the replys and information. I have been giving this a lot of thought myself but am worried about damaging critical internal components of the car if I tried anything without advice.
I know that there is some math equations about dc circuits that I can use to determine the size of the resistor used. I actually went to school for electrical but it has been years since I have done this math. If anyone can calculate the size of the resistor I need in order to add a parallel circuit to the front directional lights I would greatly appreciate it. Unfortunetly I don't know the wattage of the leds. I will look through my component stuff from school and see if u can determine this.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

One wire to green and one wire to a ground bolt. Worked for me on an Odyssey.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NDNV
One wire to green and one wire to a ground bolt. Worked for me on an Odyssey.

+1 on this. One to green and one to ground.

If you are replacing an incandescent turn signal bulb with an led then you may need the load resistor, but you are just adding led lights to the circuit in parallel. The circuit board that the leds are on should also have resistors on it if these are the ones that just stick behind a mirror and shine through.

If you are hooking them up like this and blowing fuses it sounds like there is a short somewhere or somehow pulling to many amps for the fuse rating.