Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Problems

I’m having window problems with my 2001 EX Sedan. The windows that are not working are the front passenger and rear left. From the driver switch button I am able to open my driver window and rear right but the button for the front passenger and rear left won’t work. I then switch out the window regulator for both windows and still nothing is working. The switch on the door still doesn’t work and it’s the same from the driver side. There’s no sound at all from the window motor. I’ve checked the fuse and everything is good so I don’t know what is going on. As of right now all I could think is that it might be the driver side power window switch. Before it went out it did make a low beep sound when I closed the front passenger window so all I could think is the driver side switch is bad. Well any tips would help. I probably end up buying a new driver side power window switch to see if that was the problem.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Window Problems

Most likely a switch or harness problem. There is a control unit inside the master switch for the entire circuit. There are four seperate fuses for the power window system.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for bad/broken wires at the wire boot between the door hinges. Check fuses 6, 22, 23, 24, and 25 in the under-dash fusebox. Check the ground (G301) behind/under the driver side headlight. PM me if you need the master switch input test.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If both sides of the car are affected (FP, RD) the problem must be with the master switch. I've had the same problem with Civics in the past. Problem is the price of a new one is over $250 CAD -- used ones show up on eBay every so often but the part is obviously a problem seeing that all 3 dealers I called had one in stock (parts with no problems usually have to be ordered in in my experience). Used master switches (i.e. driver's side switch) go for around $50 but test the 5-pin switch with a multimeter according to the shop manual before paying for it (or better yet, have the old one out and plug in the used one to make sure all windows work).
Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueKat
If both sides of the car are affected (FP, RD) the problem must be with the master switch. I've had the same problem with Civics in the past. Problem is the price of a new one is over $250 CAD -- used ones show up on eBay every so often but the part is obviously a problem seeing that all 3 dealers I called had one in stock (parts with no problems usually have to be ordered in in my experience). Used master switches (i.e. driver's side switch) go for around $50 but test the 5-pin switch with a multimeter according to the shop manual before paying for it (or better yet, have the old one out and plug in the used one to make sure all windows work).
yup, i second that, but I've also seen 2 door harnesses fail at (relatively) the same time, open the affected doors and wiggle the loom between the two hinges while actuating the switch, sometimes it works, and a door harness is like 50$
Old 04-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the reply. I put in all new fuses for the windows and installed the new power switch. Everything seem to be working accept the rear left window. I believe the rear left switch is bad so I just order one. So once it comes in I will switch it and hopefully everything will be back to normal. Gosh what a headache.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok my rear left window is still not working. I gave up and button everything back up. I guess as long as i can still use my 2 front im ok with that for now.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it may not help the original poster of this thread. NOTE:each window has it's own fuse - so check that first.

I just fixed a neighbors Window Regulator by unbolting it and giggling the cables!

After the door panel is removed (see separate post) I removed the switch from the panel so I could test the window at various stages.

Disconnect the glass from the regulator. Tape the window to the door frame with blue painters tape. Iits stuck down unbolt the two screws holding the glass to the rail then tape it up.

Then loosen the bolts on the motor a turn and a half, and pushed it up to 'free' it from the inner door panel. It slots in place.

Unscrew the two upper and one lower bolts (its shorter than the others), free the regulator from the door.

try to pull the cables from the motor (where the spring hold the tension on them) - relieving a bit of tension from the cable not actually moving them much at all... This might have done the trick... but I didn't try the power.

Next 'giggle' on the cables a bit, as well, gently with not much force at their anchor points.

this just a premonition really as I was just about to pull the whole assembly from the door, when I turned the key on and tried the switch again - - the regulator started moving again!

I reassembled the whole motor/reg/window in the reverse order and it still work.

I guess the gear either gets stuck - or just needed to be giggled.

the window goes up and down - best part is, it costs nothing!

this was for a 2004 Civic 4-dr drivers side rear window put the others may be similar.

hope this helps someone...
Old 12-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Trial User

I have 02 crv with a rear left window that will go up but not down. I know the motor works fine because I tested it with a direct battery wire. All of the wires were also tested and all have power going to them. What could be wrong or is there something else I'm missing or should be testing? I did replace the rear left switch as well
Thank you
Jesse
Old 10-16-2016, 03:23 PM
Trial User

all fuses good except #22 passenger window wont work due to fuse keeps blowing, all other windows work fine.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:32 PM
Trial User

Post Re: Window Problems

2001 Honda Civic EX 4 dr. Sedan (not hatchback): Power window problem. Why is it blowing fuse #22? And how to fix it?

All windows except front passenger window work fine from master switch
Fuse #22 keeps blowing.
We replaced passenger side motor, regulator and door switch.