Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

SRS Replaced- Now Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Replaced- Now Won't Start

Greetings All-
I hope someone can shed some light on this for me because it is driving me crazy.

Background: 2004 Civic LX, 2 door, 5 speed. In my family since new and has never been in an accident. The car has performed flawlessly since new, but the SRS light on the dash came on a few years ago and the DMV inspection station finally noticed it this year and would not issue a new sticker until it was fixed. Reset the light a couple of times and it kept coming back on, so I pulled the codes and it came back with a 7-2. After calling the dealer and finding out what they would charge, I decided to replace the SRS unit myself. So, I bought a new SRS unit and installed it this weekend.

The SRS unit went in easy enough and the SRS light is now out, but the car will not start. When I turn the key, all electrical functions work properly except the starter does not crank over. If I pop the clutch, the car starts and runs perfectly, but once I shut if off and go to restart it, I turn the key and nothing.

When I changed the SRS, I disconnected the negative battery terminal and let it sit for about 20 minutes before I started taking out the console but did not disturb anything else.

Incidentally, I have never had a problem with the starter and it started perfectly 1 hour earlier when I drove it into the garage to start taking the SRS module out, so I think it is far too remote a chance that the starter coincidentally decided to go bad and the exact time I replaced the SRS. There must be some sort of cause and effect.

I pulled the ECU fuse under the hood and disconnected and reconnected the battery a few times and nothing changed. I also tried bypassing the clutch interlock switch, but the starter would still not turn. I also pulled the starter cut relayed and checked it per the instructions in the shop manual and it is working properly (in fact, when I turn the key I can hear that relay click, but nothing else happens). And I also put a jumper wire directly from the positive terminal on the battery to the small post that the blk/white wire attaches to on the solenoid and still the starter will not turn.

Is there a fuse or something that can get tripped when replacing a SRS module that prevents power from going to the starter when you turn the ignition on?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Replaced- Now Won't Start

Had a helper tonight so I ran another test. Had the helper press the clutch and turn the key while I checked the voltage at the S terminal on the solenoid when the key was turned and I got just under 12 volts at the S terminal, but the starter still didn't turn.

If I'm getting power to the S terminal when the clutch is pressed and the key is turned, can it be anything other than the starter? I still can't belive the starter would crap out randomly the moment I change the SRS module.

What am I missing?
Old 07-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see all of you are as stumped as I am! Well, I checked power to the starter from the battery and had 12.5 v there as well. So I've got power to the solenoid when the key is turned and the clutch is pressed, power to the starter from the battery, the starter cut relay is good, and I can pop the clutch and it runs perfectly, which in my mind leaves only the starter as the cuplrit. Still can't believe the coincidence. Next plan is to reinstall the old SRS unit and see if it starts.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, given that all signs were pointing to the starter, I bit the bullet and pulled the starter today before trying the old SRS module. And guess what, the starter was bad. The copper braided wire that goes between the solenoid and starter had corroded and broken through. As soon as I removed the resonator and disconnected the wires to the starter I could see it plain as day. Put the new starter in, turned the key and it fired right up and the SRS light is out! I still can't believe the coincidence that it happened immediately after replacing the SRS unit, but what are you gonna do. At least it's fixed.