Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Seatbelt Sensor SRS light

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Seatbelt Sensor SRS light

Hi all,

New guy and first time post here. My SRS light came on this past weekend on my 02 Civic LX (~141k) and I found this site and thread very helpful, and I just wanted to share my experience as well.

I took the car into the local dealership here in Dallas yesterday and the DTC signaled that it was the driver side buckle. The buckle fell under the lifetime warranty for belts,buckles so it was repaired for free and there was no charge for the diag because it was related to a warranty item. I also got for no charge a new passenger side belt because it didn't retract properly (so thanks to this and related honda-tech threads!).

The parts were ordered yesterday and the work was completed today. However, upon realizing that they were going to have to do hundreds of dollars of free repair, the dealership listed out a few repair "recommendations" for me which I've taken with a grain of salt. I am aware of some of these issues and they are legit, however, the first item listed is a timing belt which I got replaced only 3 months ago though the dealership just yesterday said "it looks like it's never been changed". I assume they just chose a few high price repairs for an older car that usually flies with people who either don't know about or are new to autos.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

american honda offers a lifetime warrenty on all srs componts on a car older then 07. if it's 07 or newer it's 150k mile warrenty
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by manmademoron
[T]he first item listed is a timing belt which I got replaced only 3 months ago though the dealership just yesterday said "it looks like it's never been changed". I assume they just chose a few high price repairs for an older car that usually flies with people who either don't know about or are new to autos.
Wow. Thanks for sharing this.

In 2009, I appeared at the dealer's with my 2003 Civic's SRS light on, saying I suspected the seat buckle. The dealer confirmed it was the buckle; ordered the part; and made an appointment for me. At the appointment, the dealer gave me a courtesy ride to the swimming pool and was prompt about everything. All was covered under warranty. My dealer did not make any suggestions for any maintenance afterwards, either.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Trial User

I had the SRS light come on without warning and pretty randomely in my opinion. One day it just turned on. Mine would not come on/off, but stayed on indefinitely.

I did the pape-clip trick to read the code from the number of times the light flashes. It turned out to be the seat belt buckle failure code.

I bought this car used a year prior and had recently moved to South Carolina. I just called up the local Honda dealer and told them "I had the code run myself and it's the seatbelt, I believe it is covered under the Honda lifetime warranty even though I did not buy the car from you, correct?" to which he said "We will run the diagnostic and see if it's the seatbelt, if it's the seatbelt we will replace it for free, including the diagnostic. If it's something else, we'll have to charge you $70 for the diagnostic and then the repair costs if you decide to fix any issues."

Summary: Honda will fix your seat belt for free if that is what is tripping the code, and will reset your code. It is a safety issue.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alexisthemovie
The SRS light has been on in my dad's 2001 EX for a few thousand miles now. He took it to a mechanic who traced the light back to the sensor in the driver seatbelt. This sensor is supposed to lock up the seatbelt when the airbag is deployed in an accident.

Does anyone know if this (safety issue) is covered under some sort of lifetime warranty? The car currently has about 125k miles.
Most likely it doesnt have to be under warranty. When I still had my civic, Honda replaced both driver/passenger seat belt buckle for free. Even the tracing was free to do.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't try to fix SRS light yourself - It's a lifetime warranty by Honda!

My car has 130K miles and 14 years old and I just took it to the dealer last week and they fixed at no cost. The problem was "faulty driver's seat belt buckle switch"...after they replaced both front seat belt buckles and clear the code and the SRS light is gone now.

The dealer recommended me to fix the following items:

1> Flush power steering fluid - Looks kind of dirty (yes)
2> Change and balance 4 tires - Yes and y tires are 4 years old
3> Flush clutch fluid ( I did this last year)
4> My test on Battery failed (Yes) since my battery is 8 years old

I did my self for item 1
I did my self for item 4
I will replace all my tires with Costco next week.

My Honda Accord EX 2000 is still running very smooth.

Last edited by johnlee2104; 08-11-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: add more items