Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Rough idle when stopped, almost stalls when AC is on, but....

Old 06-24-2016, 05:04 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle when stopped, almost stalls when AC is on, but....

This issue with my car is about to make us nuts! I have a 2001 Civic LX automatic trans, 262k miles, very well maintained. We've always done any work on it ourselves except for the tranny rebuild.

When I first start out a day running errands my car seems to do fine. After it heats up it starts idling rough while standing. When I accelerate from a stop is will almost stalls unless I turn off the AC and if the AC is off there's no problem. If I was slowing down and pulling into a parking space I would also almost lose the power steering

My son took the car to a mechanic friend of his and he said the AC was over charged and the condenser fan was bad, not cooling the AC system causing the gas to expand in the system and causing too much load on the engine. Changed the fan, and recharged the system to the right pressure.

Car seemed fine for a day or two. Went on a short run to the store and it started acting up again. I'm wondering if it might have something to do possibly it being hot outside or maybe when the fuel level gets to 1/4 tank or less?

Something else the car has done for years that I also wonder if it's related is the AC kicking off when accelerate getting on the freeway. I just thought it was a fuel saving system but now I'm wondering. One thing we did after some internet research was to bleed cooling system. I was very surprised at how much more antifreeze we were able to add!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what we should check next? PLEASE, I love my car and don't have money for a new car and I know this can be fixed
Old 06-27-2016, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Rough idle when stopped, almost stalls when AC is on, but....

The A/C will temporarily cut off when a certain RPM is reached when accelerating on the highway. This is by design and normal.

Things to check would be a failing compressor, do both radiator and condenser fans work, is the A/C system properly pressurized, is the IACV clean and working properly.

Also, a tune-up of new OEM NGK spark plugs, air filter and some fuel injector cleaner might be due?
Old 06-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rough idle when stopped, almost stalls when AC is on, but....

Sounds like your compressor might be going out.