Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

replaced transmission. stiff shifting from 3rd to 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced transmission. stiff shifting from 3rd to 4th gear

i have a 2002 civic lx 5 speed, and i replaced my tranny about a month ago with a 2003 tranny, and recently the shifter feels stiff going from 3rd to 4th. it happens in others gears aswell but not as often. if i shift gears right from the tranny it feels fine but when i shift from inside the car it feels stiff. my question now would be if anyone has had the same issue and can it be from the shifter base or do the cables have to be adjusted.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I can't seem to find the DIY for this, but basically, it just involves an aerosol can of Lithium Grease. Just take the center console out and spray the grease over the ball joint/socket at the base of the shifter, to loosen up it's motion. I used a LOT of Lithium Grease.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:22 AM

thanks for the help toyomatt. i took everything apart last night and found the plastic ball on the shifter broken in half. called honda to order the part and they said it was a known problem.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Sanji

Default Re: (HONDURA2K2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HONDURA2K2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the help toyomatt. i took everything apart last night and found the plastic ball on the shifter broken in half. called honda to order the part and they said it was a known problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, that ball is supposed to be a 2-piece. My TSX shifter box, RSX shifter box, and EM2 shifter box all have a 2-piece plastic ball that sits in the socket. Using Lithium Grease, you will give the ball better motion, and it won't appear to separate as you shift, anymore.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 PM

Default Re: replaced transmission. stiff shifting from 3rd to 4th gear (HONDURA2K2)

I had the same problem with mine shifting into 3rd and 4th, and sometimes into others as well, but after we lubed it up it continues to do it! I had a friend look at it and he said first he thought is was a linkage but now he is suggesting a trans swap!!! It also clicks when I turn right, which we though was the CV but changed that and still no luck!!! Any advice on where I should go from here? I don't want to get another trans if its just the linkage after all!! HELP!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:40 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: replaced transmission. stiff shifting from 3rd to 4th gear (HONDURA2K2)

I have a similar problem where it has issues going into odd gears especially 3rd.

I had the tranny rebuilt like 16 months ago. it feels like its teh lockout mechanism
Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Sanji

Default Re: replaced transmission. stiff shifting from 3rd to 4th gear (Killtodie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Killtodie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a similar problem where it has issues going into odd gears especially 3rd.

I had the tranny rebuilt like 16 months ago. it feels like its teh lockout mechanism </TD></TR></TABLE>

The reverse lockout mechanism only comes into play when you try to shift into reverse, while going over 30mph. So, I doubt it's the cause of your issue. I would be willing to venture a guess, that you may have a worn synchro.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: replaced transmission. stiff shifting from 3rd to 4th gear (toyomatt84)

had the exact same problem when i first bought my car almost 4 years ago.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: replaced transmission. stiff shifting from 3rd to 4th gear (toyomatt84)

i had those replaced....

is there a lockout for first gear?

i always had issues with that one, just sometimes it wont let me shift and I just have to reclutch
Old 04-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Sanji

Default Re: replaced transmission. stiff shifting from 3rd to 4th gear (Killtodie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Killtodie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had those replaced....

is there a lockout for first gear?

i always had issues with that one, just sometimes it wont let me shift and I just have to reclutch</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, there's no first gear lockout. The feeling you're most likely encountering, is the synchros not doing their job.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
* B A N N E D *

all that was wrong. its not any sync gears, its the lever itself.

i drove to aamco who had done tranny work on me before, they took a test drive for a good 5 miles with its thing that it was doing and said it might be the linkage.

as soon as I get into the driver seat to go home it stops doing it. works great!

so i get home and i take it appart and i find this

by the look of it that plastic peice where the lever sits is busted, its cracked in half, lot of plastic dust around and makes sqeeking noises.

anyone know what I can do to replace that part. what part is it?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:20 AM
* B A N N E D *

just got back from Honda, that whole plastic part is $85.

how easy is it to replace? eitherway, im getting my master cylinder replaced. might as well have the same guys pop in a new one of these.

also, in the meantime can I lube up that thing with something?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bolt on, every easy, if you've ever wanted a short shifter, now would be the time to get one...

i have had my revo short shifter for 5yrs now, no problems, ever.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:29 AM
* B A N N E D *

any instructions on the process? diy somewhere?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

used to be a DIY on civicforums.com...

when i installed my short shifter, it came with an installation manual. it was my first mod, so if i did it back then with NO experience, you can do it now.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
* B A N N E D *

alright. but in the meantime, anything I can lube up that plastic ball joint? maybe that will just take care of the sticking issue
Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Killtodie)

i run a revo as well , works great
Old 04-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Sanji

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Killtodie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all that was wrong. its not any sync gears, its the lever itself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I cannot fathom how dim you are sometimes.

1. You make an entirely new thread on this subject, without even bothering to do the research.
2. You complain when I lock the new thread, pointing you here to post instead of starting an entirely new thread.
3. You tell me that this thread didn't help you.
4. I tell you of a possible new solution.
5. You tell me I'm wrong again, and that you found a third solution... which, IN FACT, is the EXACT solution I posted IN THIS THREAD on 12/14/2007.

Honestly, did you just ignore the suggestions I posted? Are you trying to be difficult?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
* B A N N E D *

you're the one who insisted that it was the synchro gear, not me.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Sanji

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Killtodie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you're the one who insisted that it was the synchro gear, not me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're the one who insisted that it wasn't any of the suggestions I listed in your previous thread.

READ ABOVE! I LISTED THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM LONG BEFORE YOU BUMPED THIS THREAD.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Sanji

Since you are (beyond a shadow of a doubt) the most ignorant person I've <u>ever</u> encountered in my entire life, I made you a tutorial that EVEN YOU couldn't fail with.

Well, I was growing quite tired of having to put tons of effort into getting my car to shift into certain gears. So, I spent some time tearing down and looking into the mechanisms involved with the shifting process, and found a rather simple solution to the given problem.

Materials:
(1) Spray Can of Lithium Grease - $3.99 - $6.99
(1) Phillips screwdriver

Procedure:

Lithium Grease Can

First off, you're going to need to remove the lower console. It's held down by the shift ****, 4 Phillips screws, and 2 plastic clips.

Secondly you're going to spray down all the marked points with Lithium Grease.

Now, you might want to fill in this section completely with Lithium Grease, because as the car vibrates, grease will slowly work it's way through the mechanism, to lubricate the majority of the component as you drive the car.

Finally, re-install the console, and you're set.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (toyomatt84)

^^I did that earlier today
Also lubed my fork assembly to rid my car of that annoying clutch squeak!
Lovin' all the helpful things I find on H-T
Old 04-03-2008, 01:10 PM
* B A N N E D *

Thanks toyotaman!

i'll do that, in the meantime some other **** went down where it now actually makes a differnet noise indicating a bad synchro gear, so its back at AAMCO for a redo of the tranny rebuilt. They will call with results later one.

as for the shifting, I dont know what happened, but after that stiffness went away its awesome! smoothest shifting i ever had in this car and I did nothing to it! no longer locks me out of 1st either.

and as far as that original reply you inserted, sorry, for some reason i totally missed it.

Modified by Killtodie at 2:16 PM 4/3/2008
Old 04-03-2008, 02:17 PM
* B A N N E D *

just got a call from aamco, they said everything is normal..

should you hear a winding noise everytime you let the clutch out? or have it in gear? i dont know....
Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Sanji

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Killtodie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just got a call from aamco, they said everything is normal..

should you hear a winding noise everytime you let the clutch out? or have it in gear? i dont know....</TD></TR></TABLE>

It all depends on the sound, I guess. It's hard to say. Any chance you could get a sound clip?

Quick Reply: replaced transmission. stiff shifting from 3rd to 4th gear