Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Repeating P0401 code on 04 Civic VP

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repeating P0401 code on 04 Civic VP

Phootbag really knows his stuff but can he help me???

Ok my '04 Civic VP. The original engine that was in the car seized up while under wanrranty. My honda dealer replaced the engine with a remaned engine got the car back drove to the house the MIL pops on. I take the car back the next day they told me DTC P0401 so they replaced EGR and gasket with a new parts gave it back to me not even a month later the MIL pops back on. I check the code its DTC P0401 so i take it back again different Service Advisor this time. They again tell me DTC P0401and replace the EGR and gasket with new parts. I get the car back and a few days later the MIL comes on again and its the same DTC P0401 & DTC P0404 (EGR Valve Insufficient Lift) so by now im sick of the dealer going through the motions and not fixing the problem. So I have a friend that was a Honda Tech so I take my car to him and we diagnose that its not a bad EGR by applying current voltage to it while car is on but not running. We also test all the wiring going to and from the EGR for a short and also to verify the correct voltage is where it should be. And it was so we remove the EGR valve and inspect the passage and intake manifold for blockage nothing. So back to the dealer it goes 2 weeks later the dealer tells me that the intake manifold and water passage and all gaskets and o-rings need to be replaced But that its not coved under the warranty due to the carbon buildup and itll be $1150.00.
So I tell them im not paying that im picking my car up tommorrow have it ready!! So now 13 months later and my reg is due and its mandatory smog in California every other year. So now Im screwed took it to honda dealer again and they charge me half price just $70.00 to clear the code i asked if they test drove it he said yes i asked did u get on the freeway he says no. I tell him test drive on the freeway he declines. So off i go to pick to pick it up and get on the freeway just to have the MIL come back on so i go back to the dealer they check and recommend replacing the EGR valve i tell them im not paying $370.00 for the same fix that didnt work the first 2 times. So what i really need is the wiring diagrams from Mitchell On Demand for my car. My friend got a copy of AllData wiring diagrams for my car but he says they are not thorough enough. Hes positve it is another cause for the MIL and suspects another sensor or system is just passing the code to the EGR. This was after we had cleaned out the intake manifold thoroughly. I think it is the ECU does not like the reman engine for some reason. Can anyone help.

THNX