Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

New with DIY; advice for my maitenance?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New with DIY; advice for my maitenance?

I’m the kind of guy who is hesitant to visit garages… as are we all! I have several questions:

(2005 Civic LX, manual transmission, with 100k miles)

1) I'm about to change my car's transmission fluid for its first time. Should I change the filter, too, or just the fluid? There seem to be a lot of opinions about this... (I'm sure I can change the fluid myself, but I'd rather not mess with the filter)

2) I'm going to have my timing belt changed this week... should I go ahead and get the water pump changed, too? Seems like most people do.

In 100k miles, the only things I've had done (other than frequent oil changes) are the tires and brakes. Is there something I'm critically missing??? All I'm planning on doing is the timing belt and transmission fluid... am I about to kill my car from neglect?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: New with DIY; advice for my maitenance?

Originally Posted by RolandDeschain
1) I'm about to change my car's transmission fluid for its first time. Should I change the filter, too, or just the fluid? There seem to be a lot of opinions about this... (I'm sure I can change the fluid myself, but I'd rather not mess with the filter)
Filter? Uhh... I don't think there is one, is there? I don't remember seeing one or even reading about it.

2) I'm going to have my timing belt changed this week... should I go ahead and get the water pump changed, too? Seems like most people do.
You're really only supposed to inspect it, but you might as well replace it while everything is apart. Saves you from going through all the trouble later down the road.

In 100k miles, the only things I've had done (other than frequent oil changes) are the tires and brakes. Is there something I'm critically missing??? All I'm planning on doing is the timing belt and transmission fluid... am I about to kill my car from neglect?

Thanks!
From the FAQ's...
Maintenance Schedules: Link
Old 08-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Transmission filter is on Automatic Trans when you have to drop the pan. No worries there.

I personally vote to replace water pump. no point in doing timing belt and then 10kmiles later have to replace the water pump when it was just there to be replaced. Saves money in the long run.

100k Service Includes - Plugs, Plug Wires, Air Filter, Coolant "flush", Oil Change, Oil Filter, Trans Fluid "flush". Check Tires for wear and proper pressure. Some people do a Valve adjustment as well.

Again, this is my opinion on everything.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a valve adjustment done on my ES, and I would totally, TOTALLY vouch for one if you intent to keep the car for a while. You want to get a good mechanic that will really take his time to adjust the valve clearances carefully, instead of one that just makes sure they are at some random valve that's within spec. When my mechanic friend took the time and care to do this for me, the engine felt like it was entirely new again when the job was done. There was noticeably more low end and mid range torque, and the engine felt both smoother and quieter to boot.

Granted, my valve clearances were out of factory specs to begin with -- some by a little, others by a bit more. But that's what anyone would expect with 100k+ miles on the engine.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Trial User

Thanks!

100k miles...So I guess I'll have my timing belt changed, and I'll change out the transmission fluid. I won't be 'flushing' it, though... too many people say this does damage to the transmission. Maybe I'll change the coolant, too. And that's it!

I just don't trust the published maintenence 'schedules'... i mean, they should provide a 'bare bones' schedule for normal people. A lot of people only change the oil and their cars will make it to 200k or more, y'know?

After all, is there anyone out there that actually brushes and flosses their teeth 3-5 times a day? Didn't think so.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EternalSessions
I personally vote to replace water pump. no point in doing timing belt and then 10kmiles later have to replace the water pump when it was just there to be replaced. Saves money in the long run.

100k Service Includes - Plugs, Plug Wires, Air Filter, Coolant "flush", Oil Change, Oil Filter, Trans Fluid "flush". Check Tires for wear and proper pressure. Some people do a Valve adjustment as well.

Again, this is my opinion on everything.
Ditto.

I would also do the front cam and crankshaft seals. The parts are maybe ten extra dollars. Like the water pump, the tech is in there anyway (crankshaft pulley bolt off etc.), so change them. I would not do the TB tensioner until the next timing belt change.

Also change the A/C-alternator (combined) belt and PS belt; valve cover gasket; spark plug tube gaskets. At least clean the PCV valve with something like PB Blaster. Change/ clean the cabin filter (underneath the glove box) for better air and passenger/driver breathing.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!

100k miles...So I guess I'll have my timing belt changed, and I'll change out the transmission fluid. I won't be 'flushing' it, though... too many people say this does damage to the transmission. Maybe I'll change the coolant, too. And that's it!

I just don't trust the published maintenence 'schedules'... i mean, they should provide a 'bare bones' schedule for normal people. A lot of people only change the oil and their cars will make it to 200k or more, y'know?
Are you sure you don't plan on replacing the water pump while you're at it? It's literally right there as well when you are replacing the timing belt. You'll be replacing the engine coolant while you're doing the water pump. Also, as lioness was saying, get the A/C and PS belts replaced as well since there is really no extra labour involved. Each belt couldn't be more than $30.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EternalSessions
We don't have plug wires.

Originally Posted by honda.lioness
I would not do the TB tensioner until the next timing belt change.
It should at least be inspected, though. It may already need to be replaced.

Originally Posted by Traum
Also, as lioness was saying, get the A/C and PS belts replaced as well since there is really no extra labour involved. Each belt couldn't be more than $30.
Everything is listed in the link I provided in post #2.

Maintenance Schedules: Link
Not sure why people go out of their way to repeat things, lol.