Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

New car: general maintanence questions???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car: general maintanence questions???

Hey guys,
I recently wrecked my 95 Civic Ex, so I got a 2001 Honda Civic Ex a few weeks ago. Now for the questions:
1) It is time for an oil change, so i went to the store and got Mobile 1 5W-20 fully synthetic oil. Are any of you guys using this brand, do you like it?
2) I don't know what kind of oil the previous owner was using (conventional or synthetic) but everything should be okay, even if I use a different type of oil right?
3) On my old car when i used to change the oil i used to add just a little bit of stop leak, just to help lubricate and condition the seals on the inside of the engine. Do any of you guys recommend doing this to my new car.

Thanks for any help
Old 01-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Default Re: New car: general maintanence questions??? (petty$rep)

I bought the same oil you got and changed it about 150 miles ago, so far so good. In borats voice, its niiice. As far as the stop leak well I have never personally used it so I dont know. You may want to change the Transmission fluid though. I also changed it at the same time with the motor oil. WOW, I havent grided any gears yet and it is smooth as butter. I use original Honda MTF, but others use blends of Syncromesh and something else, but I dont remember, so dont quote me. Other than that I believe you are covered. Welcome.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New car: general maintanence questions??? (Tadehi)

thanx, im plannin on changing the tranny fluid this weekend. gotta go by honda and get the HTF first.

another question, do u guys put in the whole 4 qts. or do you just put in the 3.7 qts that is recommended in the manual?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New car: general maintanence questions??? (petty$rep)

btw, my car does not leak oil. the stop leak would be just to help the engine seals last longer which would mean longer intervals between engine rebuilds. so does anyone else use just a little stop leak and does it mix well with the synthetic oil.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tadehi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought the same oil you got and changed it about 150 miles ago, so far so good. In borats voice, its niiice. As far as the stop leak well I have never personally used it so I dont know. You may want to change the Transmission fluid though. I also changed it at the same time with the motor oil. WOW, I havent grided any gears yet and it is smooth as butter. I use original Honda MTF, but others use blends of Syncromesh and something else, but I dont remember, so dont quote me. Other than that I believe you are covered. Welcome. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Tadehi, how long do you plan to go in between oil changes? I've personally always used conventional oil and always changed it every 3-3500 miles, is synthetic different?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rock Quaker State 5W-20 everytime. and i change my oil ever 4500 KM's, so about 3000 miles.

I run a synthetic blend.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why do u guys by 5w-20?...i use 5w-30
Old 01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

because it says to use 5w-20 in the manual...
Old 01-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Default Re: (Vantage)

Since my trips average less than 10 miles (I am in Highschool graduating, will be driving to University of Arizona this fall) every 3000 Miles. Or as close as possible to that. When you change your transmission fluid make sure to buy a pump, its well worth it IMO. Don't skimp on quality though. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tadehi)

thanx for all the help so far guys

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tadehi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since my trips average less than 10 miles (I am in Highschool graduating, will be driving to University of Arizona this fall) every 3000 Miles. Or as close as possible to that. When you change your transmission fluid make sure to buy a pump, its well worth it IMO. Don't skimp on quality though. Let us know if you have any other questions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you mean pump???? When i would change my tranny fluid in my 95 Civic there was a drain hole on the bottom of the tranny. Then on top of the tranny there was a filler hole. Is that not the case with the newer Civics.

Btw, if anyone else has any general maintence questions, feel free to ask them in this thread
Old 01-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (petty$rep)

does anyone know the torque specs for the drain plug and the filler plug on the tranny? 2001 civic Ex
Old 01-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by petty$rep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know the torque specs for the drain plug and the filler plug on the tranny? 2001 civic Ex</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, I don't. But I don't think it's too critical. A word of advice though... make sure you can get the fill bolt off first before you remove the drain plug. They can be a bit of a pain to loosen.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Sorry, but on the '01 the drain plug is #9 and Fill is #14. What I mean by pump is you take your bottle of MTF right, then you use a pump to pump the fluid out of the container and into the transmission. I used a funnel and tubing, lets just say I will never do that again. For around $10 you can buy a small pump that will make the job much faster and far less painless.

Edit: Its the same as the older civics drain at the bottom Bolt # 9 and Fill at the top Bolt # 14, its just faster with a pump. Pic is below with numbers. Heres where I found it.

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...USING

Sorry the specs are Fill bolt is 33, Drain Bolt is 29 (IN Ft-lbs FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION)
Old 01-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Default Re: (Perfectionist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry, I don't. But I don't think it's too critical. A word of advice though... make sure you can get the fill bolt off first before you remove the drain plug. They can be a bit of a pain to loosen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For me the Fill was Easy, the Drain was the hardest, BTW you are supposed to take out the Fill before the Drain so that Atmospheric pressure will help you.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx for the help guys. I understand what u are talking about with the pump...however, ive always used a funnel and yes it can be a PIA. the key is to have two people, one holding the bottom of the funnel in the fill hole (bottom of car) while the other holds and pours the fluid in from the top .

I also picked up a K&N high flow OEM replacement air filter. I bought it because you don't have to replace them, you just clean them and reuse them instead; and hopefully to get a little bet gas milage. Anyone have and experience with the K&N OEM replacement filters? any pros and cons about them?

And for the last part of my tune up i put in a container of fuel injector cleaner and im going to chech the spark plugs. Anyone got anymore suggestions on things to check?

P.S. i did some research about adding stop leak to the engine when ever you change the oil....it does not hurt anything, and it can help a little. stop leak is also compatible with conventional and synthetic oils for anyone who cares
Old 01-18-2007, 04:35 AM
Schumacher '10 WDC

For the 60,000 mark I changed oil, air filter, oil filter, sparkplugs, (I still need to change timing belt) and that was it. I used a funnel to, my dad helped me, and it was as you said a PIA lol. I also just top of fluids incase they are low, but i check that every weekend. I also need to change my brakepads. lol. hope that helps and hope you enjoy the forum!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when have you guys replaced the T-Belt..i have 86K on mine and im not sure if the previous owner has changed it already.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:24 AM
ley

i bought the honda service plan for $500 and just never worry about anything
Old 01-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Default Re: (LatinEM1)

I dont even know, But a friend of mine had hers changed at 68000, I have 66000 so I assume fairly soon. But I don't really know. AP classes kill your time.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tadehi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the 60,000 mark I changed oil, air filter, oil filter, sparkplugs, (I still need to change timing belt) and that was it. I used a funnel to, my dad helped me, and it was as you said a PIA lol. I also just top of fluids incase they are low, but i check that every weekend. I also need to change my brakepads. lol. hope that helps and hope you enjoy the forum!</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LatinEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when have you guys replaced the T-Belt..i have 86K on mine and im not sure if the previous owner has changed it already.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tadehi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont even know, But a friend of mine had hers changed at 68000, I have 66000 so I assume fairly soon. But I don't really know. AP classes kill your time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you guys should be okay, the timing belt needs to be change every 100K miles. However, ive personally known people who have gone without changing theirs untile the 120-140K mile mark (i would not recomend letting it go this long). I personally change my T Belt between 90-100K miles.

when i rebuilt my old motor, the T Belt had approx 70K miles on it and it was basically in brand new condition
Old 01-19-2007, 05:25 AM
Schumacher '10 WDC

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by petty$rep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you guys should be okay, the timing belt needs to be change every 100K miles. However, ive personally known people who have gone without changing theirs untile the 120-140K mile mark (i would not recomend letting it go this long). I personally change my T Belt between 90-100K miles.

when i rebuilt my old motor, the T Belt had approx 70K miles on it and it was basically in brand new condition</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey thanks, Its nice to learn something new everyday.