Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Need help! (crankshaft position sensor)

Old 11-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Need help! (crankshaft position sensor)

Looking for some info, I have been trouble shooting for a month now. I changed the timing belt, water pump on my 03 civic. It was running fine before I changed the timing belt, put everything back together and it started running rough after 3500 rpm. Its also hard to start every time now. Its throwing the code for bad crankshaft position sensor. So, I tore it back down again and changed the sensor, double checked to make sure timing belt was set correct and not a tooth off. Put it all back together, still running crappy with same code. Did some reading up on it and I decided to change the pigtail/connector going to the crankshaft sensor. Still no go Could the whole harness be bad? Why would it go bad all of a sudden? Could the check engine light be reset to take it out of this limp mode? It is still hard to start every time also. I'm out of ideas. Thank you for any suggestions!
Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help! (crankshaft position sensor)

Originally Posted by Mustang72
Looking for some info, I have been trouble shooting for a month now. I changed the timing belt, water pump on my 03 civic. It was running fine before I changed the timing belt, put everything back together and it started running rough after 3500 rpm. Its also hard to start every time now. Its throwing the code for bad crankshaft position sensor. So, I tore it back down again and changed the sensor, double checked to make sure timing belt was set correct and not a tooth off. Put it all back together, still running crappy with same code. Did some reading up on it and I decided to change the pigtail/connector going to the crankshaft sensor. Still no go Could the whole harness be bad? Why would it go bad all of a sudden? Could the check engine light be reset to take it out of this limp mode? It is still hard to start every time also. I'm out of ideas. Thank you for any suggestions!
did you carefully inspect the entire wiring to the sensor ,i would suspect somehow it broke or was pinched /shorted rubbed thru during T-belt change and sounds like PCM is not seeing the signal from the crank sensor at all. i know on nissan's they will run off the cam sensor with a very long crank time to start and it will only rev to about 3000rpm so i dont know for sure if honda's can use this same strategy or not but sounds similar . only real way to test is with a scope both at the sensor connector to check signal pattern and at the PCM to check wiring is good back to there. also if the crank sensor is a three wire sensor it may have to have a power source and this would have a fuse to protect it so its possible if wire shorted it blew a fuse for the sensor power feed .

just some idea's