Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Honda Civic 03 Drive Light Blinking + Transmission Range Switch

Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Honda Civic 03 Drive Light Blinking + Transmission Range Switch

I have an automatic Honda Civic EX 2003. I started to have this problem over a month ago... When I slowed down to stop, my car would suddenly shift down into 1st gear with a jerk. Then the drive light began to blink, and the check engine light came on. And this would keep happening until I turn off the car and start it again. Then the check engine light would still be there, but the drive light was back to normal. This was intermittent, and if it didn't happen within the first few minutes of driving, then it wouldn't happen that ride.

Eventually it started happening more often, and I decided to get it checked. I took it to the Honda dealer, and they said it was either the transmission range switch, or the after-market car starter (which I had installed for about 2 years and never gave me problems). They replaced the transmission range switch, but after a while the problem began again. Now it's getting more serious, because sometimes it would shift up with that same jerky feeling at around 30 mph or 50 mph. One time it wouldn't even shift up past 3rd gear.

I don't know much about cars, but I'm pretty sure it's not the after-market car starter, because it hasn't given me any problems for the 2 years I've had it. And I don't want to pay Honda to "fix" something that isn't broken only to come back the next day with the same problem. Any ideas?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Honda Civic 03 Drive Light Blinking + Transmission Range Switch

Is the D light still blinking? Is the MIL (check engine light) still on, or has it come on recently? There should still be stored temporary DTC codes which can be recovered with a scan.

You can take it to Autozone or other various auto parts stores for a free scan. That would help determine what the problem is.

I need you to be more specific that "feeling jerky around 30 mph or 50 mph" ... which gear is this happening in? When it shifts from 3rd to 4th? It could be a number of things - Defective 4th clutch, defective A/T clutch pressure control solenoid A or B, defective CPC valve, defective 3rd accumulator, defective 3-4 orifice control valve.

How many miles are on the car? The automatic transmission could be wearing out and is in need of a rebuild or replacement. Basically, this isn't something you're going to fix at home.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: Honda Civic 03 Drive Light Blinking + Transmission Range Switch

I have 80k miles. Whenever I drive and the D light blinks within the first minute, I have this problem. So, now this is happening every other time, so yes the D light is still blinking every other time I drive. After the first time the D light started blinking, the MIL light came on and hasn't gone away.

Last time I got it fixed, Honda checked the code and then they ended up replacing the Transmission Range Switch. I don't know if that helps, but I suspect that same code will show up again. Once I go to Autozone, I will post the code.

I am not an expert on cars, but my friend describes the jerky feeling the same as shifting gears and releasing the clutch too soon in a manual car. This usually happens every time I slow down to a complete stop, so probably shifting down from 2nd to 1st gear. A couple times I felt it shifting up, when I was going around 30 mph (probably 2nd to 3rd gear?). And once I felt it shifting up while I was going around 50 mph (3rd to 4th gear?).

In my original post, I said one time I felt it wouldn't even shift up out of 3rd gear. Now I am starting to think that was 2nd gear I couldn't shift up out of, cause I think I was going around 30-35 mph around that time.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by moali200
Once I go to Autozone, I will post the code.
That will help, tremendously. That way we're not just tossing guesses back and forth.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: Honda Civic 03 Drive Light Blinking + Transmission Range Switch

The code was P1705 - Automatic Transaxle Concerns
He said more specifically: Transmission Range Switch Short
Old 07-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by moali200
The code was P1705 - Automatic Transaxle Concerns
He said more specifically: Transmission Range Switch Short

Short to ground, to be specific. Are you mechanically inclined? If I were to put together a list of troubleshooting steps would you be able to use a DMM (digital multimeter) in order to fix your car, or are you going to take it in for repair?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Trial User

I do have a DMM, and a few basic tools. So if it's simple enough, I would be able to try it. Otherwise, I would have to take it in.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you Upload the pictures again please? i have this problem on my Honda Civic