Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

01 Civic Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 01 Civic Keyless Entry

So I have an 01 LX that I cannot program an OEM key fab to with the usual method (turn on ignition -> lock, x3, etc). I think it’s because this civic has the anti theft immobilizer system thing, because I also have another 01 Civic that I can program any key fab to easily and it doesn’t have that system. Is there any way to be able to program this key fab without visiting the dealer? I called my dealer and they said it’s $52.50 to program it regardless of if it works or not which is pretty garbage if you ask me.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:12 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Re: 01 Civic Keyless Entry

2001 Civic LX did not come with factory keyless door locks. It was available as an add-on accessory. So, if the LX did not have the add-on accessory keyless option, that would explain why you can't program the remote.

If the car did have factory keyless entry, the immobilizer system would not prevent programming the remote for the door locks.

There are two types of programming.

1. Programming the remote transmitter for the door locks.

A DIYer can perform this type of programming.

2. Programming the key transponder chip for the Immobilizer system to start the car. Although the car may initially start with a properly cut key blank; if the Immobilizer system in the PCM does not receive the correct transponder signal, the engine's fuel system will be disabled shortly afterward.

A DIYer generally cannot perform the Immobilizer programming. Generally, this has to be done at the dealer or specialized locksmiths with the proper programming software.

Last edited by tech8; 12-22-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 01 Civic Keyless Entry

Originally Posted by tech8
2001 Civic LX did not come with factory keyless door locks. It was available as an add-on accessory. So, if the LX did not have the add-on accessory keyless option, that would explain why you can't program the remote.

If the car did have factory keyless entry, the immobilizer system would not prevent programming the remote for the door locks.

There are two types of programming.

1. Programming the remote transmitter for the door locks.

A DIYer can perform this type of programming.

2. Programming the key transponder chip for the Immobilizer system to start the car. Although the car may initially start with a properly cut key blank; if the Immobilizer system in the PCM does not receive the correct transponder signal, the engine's fuel system will be disabled shortly afterward.

A DIYer generally cannot perform the Immobilizer programming. Generally, this has to be done at the dealer or specialized locksmiths with the proper programming software.
Thanks for the reply! I have physical keys that unlock and start the car fine. I was just hoping to program a key fab to unlock the doors. So what it sounds like is my car doesn’t have the ability to program a key fab and never has had the ability to do so.