Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Hard time driving manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:57 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard time driving manual

okay... I just started learning how to drive manual about a month or so ago and I can't seem to keep my car going fast enough to keep up with other cars in front of me after a stop when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear.

RPM
1st, let go of gear at 2-2500 rpm

It's hard to explain, but maybe someone knows what I am talking about... what am I doing wrong?

Maybe I'm not shifting from 1st or 2nd gear fast eough? Shifting at wrong rpm?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Hard time driving manual (vroomboom)

well start in 1st gear give it a little bit of gas and as you do that start letting the clutch go slowly and as you start catching up speed (20 or 25 MPH) SHIFT to 2nd gear push the clutch all the way in, and let the gas go then repeat the same step as 1st gear but this time it I'LL be a little bit faster. and then just do the same steps to get up to 5th gear. you'll learn fast you just have to work in the clutch and the gas. how to give gas at the right time and how to let the clutch go at the right time.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:20 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Hard time driving manual (nsrkeeper)

20/25 MPH? By then isn't the rpm like 3500 or so? I was tought to shift at 2000/25000 RPM. I guess I'll shift when the car is going at that speed. Can I shift from 1st to 3rd without ruining the car?
Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why the hell would you want to go from 1st to 3rd..... Going over 2500 isnt bad for your car just to let you know. Try shifting at 4k and you'll keep up with everyone, you've been driving for a month and you still dont know what your doing wtf. I learned in 20 minutes.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:32 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Hard time driving manual (JDMPLEASE)

my other friend was saying something if I drive on a freeway or so and wanted to slow down fast I can downshift from 5 to 3rd... was wondering if I can do the same from a lower gear that's why I asked if I can go 1st gear and go at a fast speed and just shift to third since my rpm and speed is at the speed I should already shift to third if I was in 2nd gear.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default FV-QR

I sure hope this isn't just an attempt at humor.

If you honestly need help with driving a manual car:
http://www.youtube.com/results..._type=
Old 05-24-2008, 08:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vroomboom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my other friend was saying something if I drive on a freeway or so and wanted to slow down fast I can downshift from 5 to 3rd... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I read this somewhere: "Brakes are cheaper than transmissions, use them to slow down."

Pretty solid advice.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard time driving manual (SGolub)

I've heard that too, was in our local newspaper from some national article. But I've learned that downshifting in snow is best if you start losing control!
Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard time driving manual (Griffeycom)

when your on the highway dont go from 5th to 3rd, go to 4th first to see what your rpms go to and if its a safe amount and you wanna speed up then drop to 3rd.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just rev it out a little more in 1st...... I usually take it around 3800 in 1st. Don't worry, once you get used to it you won't look at the rpm at all anyway.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow
ahahahah a whole month and still haven't gotten it down

I learned in 10mins and it was the first I have ever drove I was 12 lol

never driven a car and driving a stick at the same time thats alot of ****

go to a street with a hill and practice there thats the easiest way to learn. I did that to my girlfriend and she got it down in about 20mins. now shes a pro I even let her take my car down the 1/4mile sometimes lol
Old 05-24-2008, 04:36 PM

Default Re: (integraa972)

honestly guys some ppl learn faster than the other give him a break.

u can shift at whatever rpms you want.

just keep in mind that you normally go higher rpms for more speed.
- car runs more
- burns more gas

you can jump to any gear you want when shifting.
- before you do that learn your cars gears and what speed each gear can reach before you shift from 4th at 100 to 3rd (which maxes at 83 roughly stock).
- if you can play with the clutch you can do this just don't release all the way but keep the pressure - breaking purposes
- you can ride 1st gear and then shift to 2nd and ride that to 40 and go to 5th.

i've went from 5th to 1st, vice versa, at various speeds. you can even shift without the clutch - easy once you're experienced.

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

I doubt u guys got it down cold in 10 minutes.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its been 3-4 months I've drive stick since today and I go it but trouble with accelerating to much , shift at 3000 rpm from 1st-2nd and your fine, I practice in Test Drive Unlimited and NFS prostreet with wheel and pedals with cluch and shifter.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also sign up for some manual lessons at a driving school. You get an instructor and the school's car to practice on so you don't screw up yours.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:21 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (oddmut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oddmut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honestly guys some ppl learn faster than the other give him a break.

- car runs more
- burns more gas

- before you do that learn your cars gears and what speed each gear can reach before you shift from 4th at 100 to 3rd (which maxes at 83 roughly stock).
- if you can play with the clutch you can do this just don't release all the way but keep the pressure - breaking purposes
- you can ride 1st gear and then shift to 2nd and ride that to 40 and go to 5th.

i've went from 5th to 1st, vice versa, at various speeds. you can even shift without the clutch - easy once you're experienced.

I doubt u guys got it down cold in 10 minutes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

THANKS, you answered my question without being a dick. I know how to drive manual already, I just wasn't 100% sure about the do's and dont's.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vroomboom)

yeah, just keep on practicing man.

I also call bs on learning how to drive manual in 10-20 minutes. Be real people. You did not LEARN how to drive manual in that short amount of time. You MIGHT have been good enough to get the car going from first relatively smoothly, but no way you guys got it down cold. BS. So seriously, stop lying.

especially the guy who said he was 12.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d5civic)

never said i was perfect at driving, i said i got it down in 20 minutes meaning i knew what i was doing and didnt stall anymore because i knew what i was doing, was still a bit jumpy at times but i got it in 20 mins so dont talk unless you know
Old 05-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a dx so i dont have a Tach, so shifting based on RPM's is not possible for me, but i've learned what each gear brings and i listen to the engine more so than looking at the speedometer.
i keep up with starting traffic just fine, probably one of the quicker ones really and i dont drive my car hard very often.
I'm in Canada so you'll need to convert this to miles.
1st Shift at 20 km's, 40 if i drive it hard
2nd shift at 35-40 km's, 60-70 if i drive it hard
3rd 55-60 km's
4th 100 km's

now when i'm just crusing around the city i'm almost alwasy in 4th (average limit is 50-60kmph)

when i got my current car it was the first standard i ever driven, took me about a week to really get it down path, but i fully understood to concept and i've been driving dirt bikes for years and it really helped, replace left hand with left foot, replace left foot with right hand, not to different, lol
Old 05-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oddmut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oddmut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honestly guys some ppl learn faster than the other give him a break.

- car runs more
- burns more gas

I doubt u guys got it down cold in 10 minutes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

all in all ok advice, but in the 7th gen civic, and i dont know if this has been covered, but do not skip gears, it screws up the synchro's, at least go into each gear, then put into another gear. But, do NOT skip gears, its horrible on the transmission
Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (greeen01civic4d)

is it okay if you're on third gear and put the car in nuetral to slow down and stop at a red light, then when it's green you shift to first gear?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 AM

Default Re: (vroomboom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vroomboom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it okay if you're on third gear and put the car in nuetral to slow down and stop at a red light, then when it's green you shift to first gear?</TD></TR></TABLE>

from my understand yes. i think he's just talking about shifting while accelerating or decelerating using the gears. if you're slowing down and u just go into neutral it should be fine.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default FV-QR

My first time learning stick was in san francisco , you have no idea what it was like, Theres hills everywhere and traffic
Old 05-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (greeen01civic4d)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greeen01civic4d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

all in all ok advice, but in the 7th gen civic, and i dont know if this has been covered, but do not skip gears, it screws up the synchro's, at least go into each gear, then put into another gear. But, do NOT skip gears, its horrible on the transmission</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is skipping gears hard on the transmission?????.... I skip gears all the time. 2nd to 4th, 3rd to fifth. and i've been driving this way for at least 100k miles. Yet my transmission shifts smooth as the first day i got it. NO grinds what so ever.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ATLEM2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ATLEM2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why is skipping gears hard on the transmission?????.... I skip gears all the time. 2nd to 4th, 3rd to fifth. and i've been driving this way for at least 100k miles. Yet my transmission shifts smooth as the first day i got it. NO grinds what so ever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure how it effects the syncros either.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know this is sad guys but i some how always burnout on hills after a stop i cant seem to go smoothly i guess i panic wen my car is getting to close to the car behind me. ive been driving standard for 2 years now but i dont drive standard every day its like once or twice a week i drive my auto to work

Quick Reply: Hard time driving manual