Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Gear Shifting Problems

Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Shifting Problems

Hi, I have a 2001 Civic with automatic transmission that just recently started having problems with the gear shifting. When the problem first started it would accelerate from idle but wouldn't shift into the next gear. When this happened we were near a mechanic, so we took it in. He changed the transmission fluid and said see what happens.

Now it seems to work ok at first after it's been sitting off (i.e. overnight) but then after a while it will start giving problems. The shifting into the higher gear won't be as smooth or it will start acting erratic and shift to the lower gear, and then quickly shift into the higher gear.

I had it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and there was an error that came up that said Transmission Control System or something like that. The guy that did the diagnostic said that if I have issues with the transmission shifting like what I described above, to pull over, turn off the car, wait a minute, and then turn on the car again.

After reading about all of the transmission problems with this model, I am fearing that my transmission is going or gone. The car has about 283 000 KM (175 000 miles) so I guess I shouldn't complain too much given the stories I have heard about the transmission going a lot earlier in this model and year.

Normally I would probably consider just getting rid of it, but I put some money into it about 3-4 months ago on a few things like the brakes. It was stupid in hindsight, so now I am thinking to fix whatever the problem is and then sell it and hopefully recoup the money spent.

Is it possible that it could be a less major, and hopefully less expensive, problem or is it likely the transmission needs to be replaced? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Gear Shifting Problems

Originally Posted by vic123
I had it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and there was an error that came up that said Transmission Control System or something like that.
P0730 - Shift Control System ??

It's likely the shift solenoids, or something within the hydraulic system. Long story short - it needs work. Unfortunately, there's really nothing we can do for you over the internet. It's going to require some specialty tools, as noted in this old thread regarding P0730.

If you would like to attempt fixing the issue yourself, I strongly suggest purchasing a service manual. Click here to identify the product. You will want item # 61S5C01. (check online for a used one, too)

Best of luck to you!