Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

EM2 Neuspeed front strut bar review

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EM2 Neuspeed front strut bar review

I know there are already a review or two out there but I thought I would write another one from my own experience.

Car Background:
2003 civic ex coupe 5 speed. Only other current suspension mod is a 19mm rear rsx sway bar. This did make a big difference in handling. I have a stock 15.9 mm front sway bar. 15.9mm in the front and 19mm in the back seem to be the preferred sway bar set up for our cars but after putting on the rsb, it felt nice and stiff in the rear and while turning especially but the front just felt loose. This would be good for someone who autox the car But for me I just do alot of spirited driving and some curvy mountain and hilly roads occasionally. I was thinking about just getting the 2001-2002 fsb (25mm) to help with the front. I found out that import.neuspeed.com is selling the the 05-06 rsx type s strut bars for $60 (alot better then the $140-$180 01-05 civic model) and they fit our cars. They are only available in the black color not the polished.

Install:
You'll need a 14 mm deep socket, ratchet, jack, and a hammer. I jacked up the passenger side (not really sure if this step is mandatory, but I've read that this preloads it so it makes it even stiff and work more effectively). So once I took off the two outside nuts on each side I slipped the the passenger side over then I got to the drivers side and it wasnt as easy. I had to use brute strength to stretch the bar alittle and press it down over the bolts. There is then the brake fluid reservoir issue, the bar blocks accessing it. I've read that people just loosen it and bend it out of the way I dont really understand what they are doing but, I'll figure that out at another time since i dont need brake fluid at this moment.

So now your probably wondering what the hammer is for and why we didnt use it. So when I closed the hood I noticed that the drivers side part of the hood where there is the gap between where the side of the hood ends and the front side fender begin is a half inch or so gap. The hood is elevated somehow from the strut bar making contact. I opened and closed the hood a few time to see if the bar was actually making contact. I looked at the bar and saw a scratch in one area so I traced it back to where that would land on the hood and its alittle bump underneath the hood kind of near where the windshield washer fluid connects on that side (the passenger side doesnt have this bump) I just took the hammer and dented this in.

Driving impressions:
So this is my second strut bar ever. My first was a $30 cheap ebay one for my 95 camry I had in high school. That was my only suspension mod on that car. It had pivot points, but i didnt know any better at the time and at one point one of the bolts at the pivot point fell off and I didnt know so I was speeding through this mountain bend and I heard the bar moving/shifting around (this could have also been the bar just rattling around since it was loose) but at that point I believed chassis flex was a real thing.

On these cars we have the macpherson struts in the front and I did read somewhere that strut bars have the most effective on this type of suspension system (dont really remember why). I didnt think about this while driving because I didnt want to get a placebo effect. I drove the car on the highway, mountain bends, side streets, main streets, ect. before at higher speed turns and bends the car just felt alittle squirrelly in the front with just the 15.9mm/19mm sway bar set up. Now, the front end feels alot more stiff (which is the point of front strut bars). When I took turns at speed before I felt alot less confident since it felt so loose now I can feel everything tighten up in the front. I do feel what my weak point is now with this strut bar, my stock struts and springs. The rear sway bar and front strut bar will tighten up and then I just feel softness from the struts and springs. But this is still a great improvement over what it was before. I am having second thoughts on the bigger front sway bar now.

Conclusion:
This was a great mod especially for the price. If I did pay the $140 price for this I think it still would have been worth it. If I did have upgraded struts and springs I think this mod would have been even better since it would complement everything.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted a honest review with out leaving out any details.