Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

ECM/PCM Key Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM/PCM Key Questions

My AC has been not working for some time. I finally gave in and took it to a dealer and was told I have a faulty ECM/PCM. I have an 02 Civic EX, 5 speed manual with the 1.7 Vtec in it. I see a bunch of them on Ebay, which ECM unit do I need? Also, once I replace it, how do I get my keys to start the car? Do I need to buy a special ECM that can be programmed or do I need to bring it back to the dealer or can a scan tool remove the codes? I was quoted $750 just to install the ECM without any programming, but was told the key programming would also be needed so I'm looking for the cheaper alternative if one is possible. Official diagnosis was "No ground from PCM, need PCM". Thanks
Matt
Old 05-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ECM/PCM Key Questions (matt701)

If you need a new ECU there here are the instructions on how to do it:
How to Remove the ECM/PCM for Testing

Remove the passenger's dashboard lower cover, the right kick panel, and the glove box.

Remove the bolt. Cut the plastic cross brace in the glove box opening with diagonal cutters in the area shown, and discard it.

Remove the relays (A), then remove the bolts and the glove box frame (B).

Remove the gray 20P ECM/PCM wire harness connector from the ECM/PCM mounting bracket. Remove the ECM/PCM mounting bolt (A) and the bracket.
Remove the nuts, then remove the ECM/PCM (B).
Install the ECM/PCM in the reverse order of removal.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 AM

Default Re: ECM/PCM Key Questions (LatinEM2)

Thanks, that will definately help out a lot! Do you know if I will be able to start the car when I install the ECU with a working used unit?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:50 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matt701 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks, that will definately help out a lot! Do you know if I will be able to start the car when I install the ECU with a working used unit? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If the ECU is the only issue, you should be able to start the car. But, you'll need to get the keys or the ECU re-flashed, to match one another. Otherwise you won't get the keys to turn in the ignition.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:18 AM

Default Re: ECM/PCM Key Questions (toyomatt84)

The ECU is the only part I am replacing in the car. So, I should be able to start the car once I plug in the new ECU or will I need to plug it in at the dealer so they can reprogram everything once it's plugged in?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:23 AM
Sanji

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matt701 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The ECU is the only part I am replacing in the car. So, I should be able to start the car once I plug in the new ECU or will I need to plug it in at the dealer so they can reprogram everything once it's plugged in? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Take the new ECU to the dealer, and bring your VIN # and keys. That way they can re-program the ECU to match the keys, so you can actually start the car.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:07 AM

Default Re: ECM/PCM Key Questions (toyomatt84)

I called to get a quote and if I mount the ECM and they only have to switch the wires from the old to the new and program it, I'll owe $40 for 1/2 hour labor. Total cost to replace the ECU will be $190 which is much less than the $750 they quoted me if they bought and installed it. Thanks for all the help.
MAtt
Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Sanji

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matt701 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I called to get a quote and if I mount the ECM and they only have to switch the wires from the old to the new and program it, I'll owe $40 for 1/2 hour labor. Total cost to replace the ECU will be $190 which is much less than the $750 they quoted me if they bought and installed it. Thanks for all the help.
MAtt</TD></TR></TABLE>

No problem. Best of luck with the whole procedure.

PS. Wrestling the ECU out of the dash is a pain, but it will come out without relocating the wiring in the dash.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Trial User

Default Re: ECM/PCM Key Questions

My honda civic ex 01 just started going out while my daughter & i were driving 2weeks ago- (starting w/lack of power not able to accelerate & starting to put.. Then the radio to the dash lights went out also if the phone chargers plugged in the lighter or i turned the air (or fan) it would kill the dash lights, radio etc. & die then start again but die after 10-15 min. After driving & the check engine light, srs & mait. Required light were all on b4 this happened Then... The ABS,& (battery light went on&off flashing) & check. eng. light went off then came back on for a bit- i put a new alternator in it & i also had it scanned a month ago & a buncha stuff showed up & then after they reset scanner the OnLy thing that quickly showed up was Ecm/pcm high voltage-- (& the guy tht "fixed it"😤 had battery tested & said that it was good & also tht my battery "power" was reading ALOT higher then what it read (in power, voltage?) on the actual battery... Please help!! Idw to just keep throwing parts on i think i mayve bought a lemon ( after 7 months w/no car due to it being stolen & crashed in feb.2014 then bought this car 8/14- its my only means of transportation to get my dayghter to school & myself to college.. Grocery store, doc. Appts etc. etc!! Can any1 steer me in the right direction!? Thanks, Celina!!
Old 04-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets bring it back from the dead once again. Ha ha ha. No Really Though, this thread comes up on the first page of google search. Any useful links on how to solve these problems? Like replacing the ecm and the key switch immobilizer at the same time. Or doing what I just did today and using a different key to start my car while the old key is tucked behind column and against a second immobilizer ring (plugged into single green plug). I didn't pull my steering wheel just unplugged stuff and used a small chisel to notch tamper resistant bolts on switch. Used hammer,chisel,flatblade,phillips. Then cut deep slice in the bolt to tighten back on snugly with screwdriver. How many more people have to spend bills and stacks or whatnot at the dealer? How many more innocent ecms have to hit the dust after alternators get hooked up and ecm grounds do not? Stop the madness please!
Old 04-12-2018, 07:41 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by hondandy
Lets bring it back from the dead once again. Ha ha ha. No Really Though, this thread comes up on the first page of google search. Any useful links on how to solve these problems? Like replacing the ecm and the key switch immobilizer at the same time. Or doing what I just did today and using a different key to start my car while the old key is tucked behind column and against a second immobilizer ring (plugged into single green plug). I didn't pull my steering wheel just unplugged stuff and used a small chisel to notch tamper resistant bolts on switch. Used hammer,chisel,flatblade,phillips. Then cut deep slice in the bolt to tighten back on snugly with screwdriver. How many more people have to spend bills and stacks or whatnot at the dealer? How many more innocent ecms have to hit the dust after alternators get hooked up and ecm grounds do not? Stop the madness please!
This isn't as popular of a problem as you may think. And, furthermore, its not one that is just easily "solved" by a "useful link". Sadly, the reprogramming of the ECM is something that can't be done without proprietary software. So, the dealership is going to get involved.