Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

car keeps shutting itself off then right back on

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car keeps shutting itself off then right back on

okay..i posted this here probably a year ago but i dont think i got too many responses and cant remember what people thought was the problem...because it still goes on every single day...

my sister has a 2002 civic ex coupe.
randomly while shes driving it shuts itself off and u can hear a click by the shifter(her car is automatic) the rpms drop down to zero then the car turns itself right back on if the car is driving/rolling. if the car is at a stop when the car decides to shut itself off then the car completely turns off and we have to take the car out of drive and put it in neutral or park to turn it back on....

anyone have a clue as what it could be?
anyone else had this problem??

thanks for the help.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: car keeps shutting itself off then right back on

Is there any Check Engine Light notification?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no check engine light.

the car runs PERFECT...other than the fact it just shuts off really fast and turns itself back on like 5-10 times a day. it happens so fast but it feels like a stutter...but at a stop it completely dies out.

any other thoughts?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

someone suggested to me it could be her fuel filter??? i really doubted that? but idk

what u guys think?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Maybe a bad electrical conection somewhere. Check ur battery cables for tightness. Check all wiring/plugs to the ignition switch or ecm. If your ignition switch is losing connection it could have the effect of cycling the key on and off.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:04 PM
JT2
New User

Here's a thread you might look at,
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/main-relay-clicks-engine-hiccups-2082474/

Although my symptoms are the same it wasn't the fix for my 2002 civic and still working on the problem. I'll post if I find a cure for my cutting off.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The next time it dies I would look further into the electrical system. I agree that the problem is somewhere within. Its strange that you don't have a check engine light. Maybe try plugging the car into an obd reader anyway.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you sure the car shuts off? or do the gauges just drop? if you have an electrical short or bad alternator the tach may randomly cut out
Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea it definately shuts off cause the car jerks and everything...and when its at a stop it shuts off and we have to turn it back on
Old 06-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as the guy above said check your battery, terminals make sure they are tight and clean. I had similar issues about a month ago The car would suddenly serge at times drop to 0 rpms but turn right back on I changed battery and it ended up being the alternator the whole time but check your electricals indeed.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:28 PM
New User

I would look into the main relay it powers fuel and ecm. Another problem is a crank sensor going bad it will sometimes not throw a could
Old 06-23-2009, 07:39 PM
New User

Icon2 Re: car keeps shutting itself off then right back on

Hello.

My husband’s car is giving us some problems. He has a 2001 Honda Civic, manual transmission and somehow "pimped out"; I know there was some stuff done to the engine and some obviously to the body. He bought it about 2 years ago. Ok, about 3 to 4 months ago the car started to shut off by itself WHILE driving. He told me he was on the freeway driving to his job when suddenly the car shut off, he kept driving and trying to start the car until it finally did. He got to his job and shut off the car. After a while he started the car again and it would start but it made some kind of sound and the lights and everything would go out and on, like if it was to shut off again. Another time I followed him in my car in the freeway and I saw that 2 of the back lights (not sure if it was the brakes or stop or which ones) were coming on and off, really fast, I thought that the car had shutt off, but when we stopped and I told him he said that the car didn’t shut off at all....He kept driving the car like that until he almost was rear ended and crashed.
The car has been at the parking lot since then, we don’t really know what is wrong with it, we suspect is something electrical, because of the lights and stuff. We changed the battery thinking that was the problem, but it wasn’t. This started after he took the car to Pep Boys to have a tune up. I remember the clerk told him that “the air sensor and the catalytic sensor” were disconnected, that is because the car has an exhaust muffler/silencer or whatever the name of that thing is... but before that the car never gave us any problems and no lights were on in the dash either, after Pep Boys, the lights were on (I'm not sure of this, though...engine light, I think) and the car started to give him trouble. Can someone help, please???? Does anybody know what could be the problem? Or how can we fix it??? We honestly don’t trust Pep Boys (and I used to work there at California) Thanks, anyway

Last edited by rosita74; 06-23-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Sanji

Take the car to a Honda Dealership, where they have Honda certified technicians. That'd be your safest bet.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ took it there already...ended up paying like 500$ for something with the ignition ......

didnt fix a thing...wayy too expensive for us.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by jxhxb
^ took it there already...ended up paying like 500$ for something with the ignition ......

didnt fix a thing...wayy too expensive for us.
I was referring to rosita, bud. I can't think of a solution for your problem.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 PM
New User

Hello.... ToyoMatt84...

Thanks for the tip...we actually want to take it but we are trying to maybe get and idea of what could be wrong, so they won't just give us a whole list of problems.....
And that way we'll know what it could be "for sure" and how much the damage to our wallet is going to be...
It sucks having 2 cars and not being able to use them both....especially now in summer break and with our kids getting bored out of their mind...I really need my car....('03 Ody)...
Thank you very much for the reply though....^j^