Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Blower Motor Stopped Working! Need Help!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Motor Stopped Working! Need Help!

I have a 2002 Honda Civic with about 80K. We have had not one problem with this car until last Friday. I was going to lunch, it was a really hot day, I go to turn on the AC and there was nothing blowing out of the dash. I tried the heat, that also didn't work. I am baffled as to what this could be. I looked at all of the following:
1. Voltage to blower (it has 12 volts with the key on and switch on)
2. Jumped blower to battery (It worked)
3. Checked underhood relay & dash fuse (everything looked good)
4. Checked the ohms in the Blower Power Transistor (I think that it was ok??? I compared the ohms to a new part at the dealer & it was exactly the same)

I have no clue what else to try. I would like to fix it myself if all possible but I have a newborn & I really hate driving in 95 degree weather with him in the car. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blower Motor Stopped Working! Need Help! (mstewart)

have you checked the switch?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blower Motor Stopped Working! Need Help! (EM2ner)

I wasn't sure how to check it. I did pull that assembly out of the dash and looked at all of the wires and everthing looked ok....

Also, I had the blower hooked up but out of the dash and when I turn the ignition on the blower spun for a quick second. It also did this with the switch in the off position. There is a constant voltage though of 12 to the blower with the key on & the fan switch in the off position.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:16 PM

i'm not sure but the switch should have a 12v out telling the blower to turn on with the key on.. i'm not sure which wire it is.. you can't really go by looking at the switch cause it might look ok but it could be a bad wire..
Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Here's my DIY in the other forum, hope this will help.

http://club7thgen.proboards28....37075
Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Blower Motor Stopped Working! Need Help! (jivi)

nice write up jivi, hope it works out for him
Old 07-08-2007, 08:29 PM

I reckon bud

EDIT: thanks anyway
Old 07-09-2007, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blower Motor Stopped Working! Need Help! (jivi)

Thank you so much Jivi!!! I tested the ohms first thing this morning and it didn't even register (I believe open...) I am going to solder a resistor on this morning and see if it works! Thanks again for your help! I couldn't have done it without you. My wife also wants me to thank you, for saving us so much money.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This was the fix!!! I just put it on the car and it is working perfect now. Thanks again for all of your help!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:41 AM

That's what we're here for

Modified by jivi at 12:01 PM 7/9/2007
Old 05-20-2008, 10:27 AM

when you were having this problem did the compressor still turn on?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Blower Motor Stopped Working! Need Help!

I just want to say thanks, I am new to the forum, I registered because this thread simply fixed my issue.

I did the thing yesterday and IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY!!

did cost me only 59 cents to fix it for five 1ohm 1/4 watt resistors, they were selling them in pack of five.

thanks a million jivi
Old 09-19-2008, 11:34 AM

Great tips!
I have one more obscure possibility in case someone else has this problem.
And I speak from experience.
After replacing the resistor on my 93 del sol, I removed the blower motor and tested it with a battery charger. The motor was still good. Next I tore out just about the entire dash to get access to the actual switch assembly. (Long, involved and requiring the skills of a contortionist) Once I had the switch in my hand I tried rotating the post to the various speed settings. When it was still installed in the dash, I would turn the **** but there was faint resistance between settings. Now with the switch assembly in hand, it would click between positions.
The answer...
The black plastic switch **** was cracked and wasn't able to turn the metal post that it was assembled on.

The car had come back from having bodywork performed and my guess is the less than reputable guy working on my car created the issue somehow. It was a cheap fix, but a long and involved diagnosis.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks so much for the link. <http://club7thgen.proboards28....37075> My 2001 EX interior fan blower started working sporadically at first and then rarely. With the hot weather in the summer in the 90's, I was motivated to fix it hell or high water. The AC dash button lit up and cold air came out when on the freeway, but slightly, which meant the AC was okay only without the force of the fan. I needed an angled screwdriver to remove the power transistor screws from the blower housing. Radio Shack had the 1 ohm 1/4 watt in a package of five for $1.50. Once soldered to the posts shown in the pictures, it started up immediately. Furthermore, the air is now blowing harder than before the sporadic problem. Serious. I am wondering if the power transistor was not fully working since I bought it in 07. Doesn't make sense, but all I can imagine. Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. The pictures in the link spelled out the procedure perfectly. You can get the 1 ohm 1/4 watt resistor at Radio Shack in a package of 5 for $1.50. It does take an angled Phillips to remove the screws. This saved me a bundle compared to a mechanic. Another thing. The fan never really had much force, but now blows much more forcefully. Because of this observation, could this unit have been on the way out before running sporadically?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Trial User

Jivi thanks for the advice. The blower went out a couple days ago on my '03 Accord; no heat or A/C at any setting. I picked up a used blower motor transistor at the local junk yard for $4.89. An hour later all was good. Just in time too. The weather in NC is starting to get toasty.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Trial User

Hi, I did this and it fixed my problem with my A/C as well. I have 1 question though i went to radio shack and looked for 1ohms at 1/4 watt resistor but they didnt have that so i got 1k-ohms at 1/4watt thats probably a huge problem right?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Trial User

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread. Found you guys on google and would have loved to take a look at the write-up you were all talking about. Does anyone have an updated link, or any other more specific info that might help?

On a long trip right now and just had the blower motor seem to cut our in our 2002 Honda Civic. Oddly enough, it came back on about 20 minutes later, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to get started on this. I'll admit I don't have a lot of experience with a/c or electric work in my vehicle, but I'm pretty confident I could do it if pointed in the right direction.

Well any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:55 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's an updated link for you: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/diy-how-fix-ac-power-transistor-2041582/
Old 10-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Trial User

Sorry for throwing this mid thread but I am new. I am having the same problem with my car with the blower motor not running only it doesn't seem to be the transistor/resistor. I have tested and changed the resistor. The resistor did have 1.3 ohms across prongs 3 and 4 but 0 ohms across 1 and 2. I bought a new resistor which had 11 ish ohms across 1 and 2 but after running a few minutes the blower stopped working and now it is reading 0 ohms. This seems like a different electrical problem, is it the blower motor drawing too much power or does a air filter need to be cleaned some where? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks
Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine to
Old 07-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Trial User

Hi. I have a 2002 civic coupe with approx 90000 miles. Blowers stopped blowing. I soldered a 1 ohm 1/4 watt resistor and wow, it started working again. I brought the resistor at Maplin in the UK and fixed the problem for 36p (about 20 cents). What a result.