Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Best way to fire up an EX without the key..

Old 01-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to fire up an EX without the key..

Hey toy, bought a real nice 2005 EX parts car. It was abandoned and there is no key. It has taken awhile going thru all the legal steps before I could get it, law enforcement check, legal announcement...ECT ECT. Somewhere along its path they busted up the steering column enough so the front wheels could be steered. Think they used a hammer....looks pretty mangled. the V tec motor looks pretty good and I would like to hear it run.....or not run. I have an LX parts car I could pull the column and computer and stick in there to see if the engine will run. I am thinking the computer in the LX is for a non V tec , and so pretty sure it will throw codes........BUT, it should crank up and run, right. Do you think all else is will just plug in, I mean the harnesses should plug up. Is there an easier way I am overlooking. I don t think there is enough lock left to make a key , and then have it programmed for the car. It s really too nice a car to part out , but , in my state, I do not think there is any way to get a title if the car is originally titled in another state., but will check.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Best way to fire up an EX without the key..

Lighter fluid and a match! Jk. I maybe wrong but it maybe easier to do a compression test and drain the oil to check for metal shavings. If no shavings and compression is good, the engine should run fine. It won't tell you if it's overheating but neither will just firing it up and listening to it. Just a thought.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Without some way to get the immobilizer system to function, you're not going to be able to get it to run.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, where do I find out what all and where all the immobilizer system encompasses and how it works. Only then can I figure out what to replace with what.. thanks......
Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Find out how much a locksmith will charge you to program the keys from your working car to your parts car. Then just use a flat head screw driver to turn the switch while keeping the keys close to the lock.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey hey, projay.....think your on to my thinking. Now what do I need to take him. I been reading up the four parts that make up the immobilizer system, key, key ring around the ignition switch, immobilizer unit and ECU. I can easily take him any or all of these items. I am thinking I do not want to pay him , 60, 80, 100 bucks plus to make me a key for a parts car I can never drive legally of the road. I actually have two other parts cars with keys and everything.......but only one has an ECU...and that ECU is for a non Vtec. So what your saying is , what part will be needed to be reprogrammed to satisfy to allow for the car to crank and run.......the immobilizer unit or ignition ring or ECU
Old 01-04-2017, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have them go to you. The ECU needs to be connected to program it. The process is similar to turning on the car except with the scan tool connected. Over here in AZ I heard they'd charge $50 to program the keys and they came to you. Not sure how much it'll cost where you are.

edit: just read the part about one ecu. I don't know if it'll work on a vtec harness or a vtec ecu will work on a non vtec harness. If it does all you'd have to do is install the ecu, use the keys that are married to it, and try and start it. Like I said, not sure it'll work.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, projay, an update. I pulled the ECU from my LX parts car. GEZZZZZ, what a job......most difficult one I have ever pulled........there must be a trick I am not aware of. I also pulled the whole lock unit , with key , and both immolizer parts. Plan was to just plug in an LX ecu where an EX ecu was to see if I could get the car to run......didn t care about what codes the Vtec verses non Vtec would throw. BUT, the wiring harness is different. Of the five 'slots" on the ecu modules the LX and EX use one different slot. So, I did not hook up the other four slot connection to see it the car would. I plugged in the lock assemble and was able to turn the car on and see the miles logged, roll up and down the windows, and locks. NOW, to start the car, can I program the ECU to recognize this 'new" key or is this where I must have a locksmith come and do the programming. There is an awesome Tube vid where the guy solders in some wires to his ecu, and clears out all the old key codes with his computer and adds the ability to add a new one, but that is far more involved than I am savey to.