Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2nd fired computer. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd fired computer. Please Help!

I have a 2003 Honda Civic DX. Due to a sticky and flared valve I recently personally replaced the engine with a re-manufactured (long block) engine which I dressed up with the old engine's hardware, sensors, etc. The car worked fine but I am having problems because it is damaging the ECM. I have already replaced the ECM once and today it got damaged it again. The problem came both times in similar situations, I was driving at street or highway speed, I needed to accelerate on a hill to pass (first damaged ECM) and (the second damaged ECM) as I was merging into the highway and I accelerated to merge before another car. As the automatic transmission shifted down a gear and the engine reved up, suddenly the battery warning light started blinking, the engine started hesitating. I first thought it threw a belt. The engine lost power and stuttered but was still running, I could hear one of the PGM-FI relays clicking inside the glove box and then the check engine light turned on. As a result I believe the ECM is partially fried. I cannot communicate withe the ECM with a scanner to get a code. After both incidents, the temperature gauge stopped working, the shift indicator light in the dash (P, N, D, D3, 2) is off. The transmission control is out and it does not auto shift, so I need to manually set it to 2 to start driving, and when it was supposed to shift up, the car jerks until I manually set it to D3 or D. It then starts to accelerate but with very low power. I can press the gas pedal but there is a lack of power as if I was not accelerating. After the check engine light goes on, the relay is silent. In Park I can I rev the engine up, but it stutters. The first time the ECM got fired, replacing it fixed the problem. I am sure if I change the ECM again it will fix the problem again, but I do not want to damage another ECM module in a similar situation. Any idea of what is damaging the computer? I feel that more than likely it could be one of the transmission senors shorting out temporarily and damaging the computer? Or that as the engine revs up that the alternator sends a voltage spike? Any ideas of what component is the culprit? Other than that before the problem with the ECM the car ran beautifully even at 80+ MPH speeds. Any ideas of the what could be the culprit of my damaged computers?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2nd fired computer. Please Help!

what type of spark plugs are you running? and are all of your grounds hooked up?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2nd fired computer. Please Help!

You need to replace your alternator.