Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2003 Civic won't start - key chip? Immobilizer? Relay? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Civic won't start - key chip? Immobilizer? Relay? HELP!

HI all! I am a bit of a noob with cars, but I'm desperate to figure out what's wrong with my '03 civic sedan LX. I'm broke as a joke so I'm hoping to make the best repair decisions possible.

First off, my car won't start. I get a blinking green key (immobilizer) light on my dash. Once, a few days prior to my car's ultimate demise, I had to turn the key a couple times to get the engine started, but I noticed no other strange issues.

I'm not sure if this is related, but after a few days (a week?) of sitting in the driveway, my battery died. No lights were left on or doors open.

Suspecting my key chip became decoded somehow, I got a bypass code from the dealership, jumped my car, entered the brake pedal code, and was able to successfully start it up. So it seems that this could be a problem with the transponder in my key, my immobilizer system, or ECU - right? If so - is there any way to know which is the problem? If I get my key recoded and it turns out to be an ECU issue, does that mean I have to get an entirely new ECU and immobilizer/key pair because they're all coded to one another?

On the contrary to all this, someone suggested this might all be a main relay issue (cracked solder). I have the equipment to fix this, but... I can't find my main relay! I've scoured the internet looking for a video or diagram and have had no success. Tire apart my dash and can't find the box. Could this be the culprit?? If so, where the &%*#$? is my relay?!?!

im sorry for the lengthy post - thank you in advance to anyone with some insight!! I'm losing my mind here!
Old 02-02-2017, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Civic won't start - key chip? Immobilizer? Relay? HELP!

When you first turn the key the immobilizer light always comes on, blinks a few times and goes away. Does it stay on?
Old 02-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prodjay10
When you first turn the key the immobilizer light always comes on, blinks a few times and goes away. Does it stay on?
Yup, it stays on. It blinks a bunch of times after the rest of the dash lights go off.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

It may be due to the car battery. A weak battery may have enough juice to turn the starter motor (it will turn with 9 or 10 volts), but, not enough to run the other electrical systems, particularly the PCM. With a weak battery the Immobilizer System and PCM can't communicate.

Get the battery checked.