Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)
Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Questions? Ask them here! (overheating, coolant, et

Originally Posted by dallison
Engine oil is clean and no other leaks besides the coolant coming out of the overflow.

That's usually a tell-tale symptom of a bad head gasket, but I'd start with replacing the cheap stuff first.

Also, the head gasket can be bad without the oil and coolant mixing together.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Questions? Ask them here! (overheating, coolant, et

BUMP!
My car is overheating again.. One side of the radiator is cool to touch and the other is hot. Could this be a clogged radiator? I took it in the shop and they said no blown head gasket might be a clogged radiator. So frustrating..
Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by TailZ
BUMP!
My car is overheating again.. One side of the radiator is cool to touch and the other is hot. Could this be a clogged radiator? I took it in the shop and they said no blown head gasket might be a clogged radiator. So frustrating..

Certainly sounds like it.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
Certainly sounds like it.
Just got done working on my car. Replaced the radiator. Also checked the thermostat. So far so good. Both sides of the radiator are hot now. I hope that cured my overheating problems. Fans worked. I had the car on for 15 mins after installing the rad and refilling. Burped the system.

One question: I know the t-stat goes in spring first into the motor, is there a certain way I should turn it or should it be okay as long as it sits flush?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by TailZ
One question: I know the t-stat goes in spring first into the motor, is there a certain way I should turn it or should it be okay as long as it sits flush?

There's a little tab that sticks out of the thermostat. It should be on top, and facing the radiator when you install the thermostat.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

today my car just randomly started over heating on me while idleing for like 7 minutes. there is no odd color smoke coming from my exhaust and smells normal. and i let it cool down over heated while driving pulled over my fans werent on. and the over flow is empty but the radior still has plenty of fluid in it. about a year ago i had replaced the thermostat, radior, and the head gasket, and has been fine untill today. so if some one could help out i would really like that
Old 07-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by 03 rice
today my car just randomly started over heating on me while idleing for like 7 minutes. there is no odd color smoke coming from my exhaust and smells normal. and i let it cool down over heated while driving pulled over my fans werent on. and the over flow is empty but the radior still has plenty of fluid in it. about a year ago i had replaced the thermostat, radior, and the head gasket, and has been fine untill today. so if some one could help out i would really like that
If the radiator fan isn't working, start by checking the fuse and relay.

There are a couple DIY's in the FAQ's worth checking.
Testing the Radiator Fan Switch: Link
Radiator Fan & Fan Switch Circuit Troubleshooting: Link
Old 07-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Trial User

Why Honda, why?

I just read through this thread and another one about the Civic overheating. My boyfriend has a 2002 Civic with 109k. The timing belt and water pump was changed at 90ish-k. It started to overheat is a strange way. He's be on the highway for 45 minutes or so, get off, and the temperature would spike once he slowed down. It would be fine it town. Fine on the highway.... just when he got off.

He replaced the thermostat and had the radiator tested, which was ok. The fans come on too. He changed the radiator and overflow caps since it would lose coolant, which hasn't helped. I just got the radiator tested with the emissions thing and it passed. However, that sinking feeling that it was the head gasket still never went away. Looking back, he did mention that the heater wasn't really working that well towards the end of the winter.

I am in love with my Honda (95 Accord Coupe, my first and only car!), which was part of the reason he got one. After reading about so many people with the same issue, I can't believe it. I couldn't believe it was the head gasket because Honda has (had?) such a good reputation and I know his car was very well taken care of. After reading so many similar stories, I know that it's has to be the head gasket. I don't understand how so many people can have the same issue and Honda fails to do anything about it. I'm starting to question my loyalty.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE!
I've been driving my car for a full week in the city and highway with my new radiator. Previous oem rad was clogged causing my coolant to fill up the reservoir and leak out. I have not ran into any over heating problems yet.. *knocks on wood* The coolant reservoir has not overflowed/spewed out, even in heavy traffic. Thank goodness I do not have a blown HG Get your car tested first before working on anything else. Make sure you guys check your radiators to see if both sides get hot. My old radiator was hot on one side only. Hope this helps anyone
Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did they test your radiator before replacing it . D oyou know what caused it to clog up ? Does using another brand of anti-freeze ( not Honda) cause this ?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rmdevo
Did they test your radiator before replacing it . D oyou know what caused it to clog up ? Does using another brand of anti-freeze ( not Honda) cause this ?
The shop did the combustion leak test to see if my hg was blown. I am not sure what caused my rad to get clogged. I have been using prestone for 65,000 mi. In my new rad I now run oem honda antifreeze just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello,

I'm wondering what kind of water temps should be considered normal in this generation of Civic?

Did a bunch of searches already, but couldn't seem to find any numerical answers.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by Traum
Hello,

I'm wondering what kind of water temps should be considered normal in this generation of Civic?

Did a bunch of searches already, but couldn't seem to find any numerical answers.

Thermostat starts opening at 169 - 176° and should be fully open at 194°.

The radiator fan should come on between 196 - 203°.

So, my guess would be 190's to low 200's.

Sorry, I don't have a specific answer as for what is "normal" since there are variables to consider.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
Thermostat starts opening at 169 - 176° and should be fully open at 194°.

The radiator fan should come on between 196 - 203°.

So, my guess would be 190's to low 200's.

Sorry, I don't have a specific answer as for what is "normal" since there are variables to consider.
Thank you for your quick reply. That was already most helpful as it more or less coincides with the numbers that I have recently seen during a hot spell we had here. I got stuck in traffic, and the water temps almost reached 100C (210F), though it never climbed any higher. In the past, I rarely ever get stuck in traffic for that long, and the highest water temps I've seen were in the low 90's (sub-200F).
Old 11-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just noticed my 04 civic lx overheats in stops due to the fan turning on late, however i figured out how to keep it from overheating by keeping the a/c on and the fans run fine this way. i also found that my header/precat are leaking i think this is causing it to overheat. i didnt find any signs in the coolant/radiator or headgasket no smoke or other signs. my car is currently @ 92,xxx miles so is this a early sign? any healp would be appriciated.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^yes. You should fix it now before it gets worse. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx em2abe will do!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Questions? Ask them here! (overheating, coolant, et

Hi my 01 civic ex haves Symptoms A B & C any help?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently started having issues with my cooling system. The car has about 140,xxx mi on its mostly highway. I started smelling coolant in my engine bay and found small puddles of coolant on my subframe. Also when I turn my heat on while driving, Im having steam come out of my hood. After pulling over I find that coolant seems to be seeping out of the radiator at the top and the bottom where the aluminium meets the plastic. Some coolant at around 3,000 rpms seems to spray a little on to my engine which is inturn hot and makes it burn. This seems to be a sign that the orginal radiator is done im supposing. Is this something that would happen due to old age? I've seen another instance on youtube where another person experienced the same thing on his es1 at high mileage.

Also, if it is indeed time to replace the radiator, would it be wise to swap to a full aluminum radiator or stick to an OEM one and risk the same thing happen again. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket radiators for 7th gens?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Sadly, your radiator is shot. It'd take an awful lot of work to try and salvage it at this point. I'd recommend going with an aftermarket piece where the endtanks are welded to the core directly, instead of the plastic setup offered from Honda.

I currently have a Koyorad that has been great for years.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
Sadly, your radiator is shot. It'd take an awful lot of work to try and salvage it at this point. I'd recommend going with an aftermarket piece where the endtanks are welded to the core directly, instead of the plastic setup offered from Honda.

I currently have a Koyorad that has been great for years.
Do you use your OEM fan on your Koyorad or did you change out the fan with a slimmer one?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by DJ4Jesus77
Do you use your OEM fan on your Koyorad or did you change out the fan with a slimmer one?
Well, I swapped the stock fans over for some FAL 10" fans with the Koyorad. I did this all when I K-swapped.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah makes sense. From what Koyorad states, the original fan shrouds should work just fine. Deffinately ready to put this baby on. When replacing the radiator should I go ahead and change out the thermostat?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also I cant seem to find what radiator cap type is required for an aftermarket radiator for the D17.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Sanji

Ah makes sense. From what Koyorad states, the original fan shrouds should work just fine. Deffinately ready to put this baby on. When replacing the radiator should I go ahead and change out the thermostat?
It would be a wise idea to just use fresh coolant and a new thermostat. (It would also be wise to run some water through the new radiator when you get it, to make sure its clear before installing.)

Also I cant seem to find what radiator cap type is required for an aftermarket radiator for the D17.
It should be provided by Koyorad, or you should purchase one from them. Trust me, factory ones don't fit quite right.

Quick Reply: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)