Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Help with some body work...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with some body work...

A small tree fell on my car a while back and dented the roof pretty good. I jacked out the dent enough to put a new back glass in but the roof is still wavy as hell. No pillars have been damaged, so the safety of the roof is not in question. Question is...after all straightening, will bondo do fine on the roof? I wanna do this myself because i have some experience. I just have never f'ed with the roof before. Any help is appreciated.

sorry for the size of this one...
Old 10-24-2003, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Help with some body work... (thickfacek)

Bondo will do
Old 10-24-2003, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with some body work... (Grease Monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grease Monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bondo will do</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya it will do a shitty job. Dont use bondo. The amount of filler mud you have to use will crack and fall off within a month. You should take it to a proshop and get them to do it so that you know it is done wight but to that extent of damage you are looking at about $500-$800US for a fix.

My suggestion would be to try and hammer it out as flat as you can. Remove the headliner and see what you can do. If you cant do that they buy one of those Dent King suction cup dent pullers and get all the dents out that you can. The ones that dont come out or only come out a bit should be small enough so that you can bondo the little gaps in.

CRX Forum
Old 10-24-2003, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Help with some body work... (crxforum)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxforum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ya it will do a shitty job. Dont use bondo. The amount of filler mud you have to use will crack and fall off within a month. You should take it to a proshop and get them to do it so that you know it is done wight CRX Forum</TD></TR></TABLE>If you try bondoing it you're gonna use a whole can.. and he's right.. it'll just crack off..
Old 10-24-2003, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Help with some body work... (thickfacek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thickfacek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Question is...after all straightening, will bondo do fine on the roof? I wanna do this myself because i have some experience.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxforum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ya it will do a shitty job. Dont use bondo. The amount of filler mud you have to use will crack and fall off within a month. You should take it to a proshop and get them to do it so that you know it is done wight but to that extent of damage you are looking at about $500-$800US for a fix.

My suggestion would be to try and hammer it out as flat as you can. Remove the headliner and see what you can do. If you cant do that they buy one of those Dent King suction cup dent pullers and get all the dents out that you can. The ones that dont come out or only come out a bit should be small enough so that you can bondo the little gaps in.

CRX Forum</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats the difference in what I said? He said he will straighten the roof and bondo...
Old 10-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with some body work... (Grease Monkey)

ok first off everyone always says bondo
well bondo is not all type of body filler
its just a name of one of the companies
id say hit it out like you suggested and then use a metal type of body filler
they are a little harder to work with and you have less time to sand it down because it contains metal particals
this is insure more strength
the only down side is that it cost alot more but it works way better
and of course before you get it primed and ready for paint you should do a lite coat of regular body filler so insure its smooth
also try to find out if one of your friends has a dent puller this might help you alot with that dent that i c is at the back near the window and if all else fails get someone that knows more about it to do it