Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Need Help - Messed up my clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - Messed up my clear coat

I need help guys,

I washed my cw itr the other day with my nice new car wash sponge that has one raised surface side, kind of like a terry cloth towel scrubber, the other side is just a thick soft sponge. I used mcguiars soap and the car was lubricated and cool, very wet and soapy when using either side. Well after drying the car and seeing the car under lighting at night, I noticed about 10 roundish circlular swirl areas where I remembered using the raised cloth surface part of the sponge, particularly the hood. So I thought no big deal, I havent waxed and buffed the car yet, that will take care of those areas. Well I just got done waxing and buffing the swirled areas with my mguiars gold class wax and the spots are there, i can feel an absense of clear coat, the surrounding areas are smooth and glossy and swirl areas are slightly dull and rough. The terry part of that sponge literally ate my clear coat, there is no scratch at all to the paint though. How can I remedy this situation? Give me some solutions, can a detailer help me out?

Thanks
Aamir
Old 11-08-2002, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Need Help - Messed up my clear coat (AamirCWITR)

did you use your hand, or did you use a machine to wax....
you prob need to use a buffer to get that out or maybe buy a fiberglass hood or CF
Old 11-08-2002, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Need Help - Messed up my clear coat (dirtyazn)

yeah, if you used your hand to wax it try using an orbital buffer but dont push down hard. Otherwise if the clear coat is actually gone i dont think there is a way to get it back; you will prolly have to re-clear it. Try using the 3 step meguires process of cleaner wax, then polish, then your gold class
Old 11-08-2002, 04:19 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Need Help - Messed up my clear coat (dirtyazn)

or maybe buy a fiberglass hood or CF
LOL. n3wbies teaching n3wbies. Yes, that's a fantastic idea! you have paint swirls that you just noticed: get a new hood that doesn't have paint on it!

That cracks me up.