Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

How to take off paint/dye off vinyl and plastics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to take off paint/dye off vinyl and plastics?

Anyone know what I can use to safely take off paint/dye off vinyl and plastics, as in door panels, glove box...Thanks.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Re: How to take off paint/dye off vinyl and plastics? (Battle23)

Anyone know?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont think so...gotta buy new panals cuz they probably scuffed it up before painting..
Old 12-10-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Re: (waddy41)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waddy41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont think so...gotta buy new panals cuz they probably scuffed it up before painting..</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i want to re-do them again anyways. can i just dye/paint over it?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:01 PM
NrG

Default Re: (Battle23)

paint thinner or goo-off
Old 12-10-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Re: (NrG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NrG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">paint thinner or goo-off</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would paint thinner hurt the plastic or vinyl in anyway?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Battle23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would paint thinner hurt the plastic or vinyl in anyway?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No dont use thinner. It will melt the plastic away. At work we use a paint stipper for plastics. It works just like aircraft striiper only its for plastic.
I can get your the name tomorow
Old 12-10-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Re: (mike9571)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike9571 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No dont use thinner. It will melt the plastic away. At work we use a paint stipper for plastics. It works just like aircraft striiper only its for plastic.
I can get your the name tomorow </TD></TR></TABLE>

What about on vinly, like the door panels and such?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Battle23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about on vinly, like the door panels and such?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That I honestly dont know. Go to a local marina shop and see if they have anything. If that fails just paint/stain the vinyl the color you want.

SEM makes prep kits for painting vinyls and plastics
Old 12-10-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Re: (mike9571)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike9571 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That I honestly dont know. Go to a local marina shop and see if they have anything. If that fails just paint/stain the vinyl the color you want.

SEM makes prep kits for painting vinyls and plastics</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just want to redo it the same color. But i'll try calling around also if no one knows for sure
Old 12-10-2006, 05:18 PM

bump
Old 12-10-2006, 07:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Battle23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-11-2006, 07:14 AM

Old 12-11-2006, 09:58 AM

TTT
Old 12-11-2006, 11:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Battle23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TTT</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have my lower trim on my crx sir bumper painted, I used scotch brite and some methylene chloride to get it off (nasty ****) Klean strip makesa stripper that they sell at pep boys and seemed to work well (it contains methanol and methylene chloride). And with the scotch brite it seemed to leave the plastic nice. BTW it has a BMW on the front.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Re: How to take off paint/dye off vinyl and plastics? (Boosted Chemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted Chemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have my lower trim on my crx sir bumper painted, I used scotch brite and some methylene chloride to get it off (nasty ****) Klean strip makesa stripper that they sell at pep boys and seemed to work well (it contains methanol and methylene chloride). And with the scotch brite it seemed to leave the plastic nice. BTW it has a BMW on the front.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I might try that on the hard plastics like the glove box and the under dash parts. Still don't know about the vinyl, door panels, dash..etc
Old 12-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got a dupont (that paint place) store around where u are? I had to take spray paint and clear off my vinyle and plastic and used gun cleaner, didnt melt nothing, didnt hurt nothing, and melted that spray paint right off. The only thing is, it takes that "shiny" stuff from the plastic and vinyle but sense ur painting over it again it shouldnt matter.

Yes i have personal experince wit hit b.c like i said i had spray paint on mine. just get the gun cleaner and kinda dulte it with water a bit in a sprayer bottle which u can get from homedepo or walmart and spray it on heavy all around or u can do one part at a time and wipe it off, it will take some elbow grease lol but trust me if u put it heavly on a spot and let it sit for a min or two that stuff whips off , worked perfectly with me.. Paint thinner doesnt work on vinyle atleast for me it didnt, not even on the plastic it would just bead off .. so i had to use gun cleaner or i guess it would be the same as paint stripper. give it a try should work worked so well after i did one whole door plannel it looked like it was never painted just not as shiny as it was orginally

about the guy that said paint stripper or thinner would melt plastic.. i never had that problem i even let plastic sit in the paint stripper over night an dmy plastic never melted.. same with the gun cleaner, let plastic sit init for a few hours and tha tstuff just whipped right off and the plastic was fine. mabey u ment light thin platsic ? mabey that would melt. i know rubber melts in it lol
Old 12-11-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Re: How to take off paint/dye off vinyl and plastics? (Honda_Accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_Accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got a dupont (that paint place) store around where u are? I had to take spray paint and clear off my vinyle and plastic and used gun cleaner, didnt melt nothing, didnt hurt nothing, and melted that spray paint right off. The only thing is, it takes that "shiny" stuff from the plastic and vinyle but sense ur painting over it again it shouldnt matter.

Yes i have personal experince wit hit b.c like i said i had spray paint on mine. just get the gun cleaner and kinda dulte it with water a bit in a sprayer bottle whic u can get from homedepo or walmart and spray it on heavy all around or u can do one part at a time and wipe it off, it will take some elbo grease lol but trust me if u put it heavly on a spot and let it sit for a min or two that stuff whips off , worked perfectly with me.. Paint thinner doesnt work on vinyle atleast for me it didnt, not even on the plastic it would just bead off .. so i had to use gun cleaner or i guess it would be the same as paint stripper. give it a try should work worked os well after i did one whole door plannel it looked like it was never painted just not as shiny as it was orginally </TD></TR></TABLE>

well the paint on it isn't really spray paint. i think it's dye, it's meant for plastics and vinly inside your car.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, i mean you can try it, but dye thats gonan be hard b.c it acually dyes the crap , its not just a layer of paint on top of paint u know? so u might have to buy new panels or start trying diffrnet products that people have mentioned thats the only thing u can really do.. Good luck on the dye though. if you find anything post up so others know
Old 12-11-2006, 03:24 PM

Default Re: How to take off paint/dye off vinyl and plastics? (Honda_Accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_Accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm, i mean you can try it, but dye thats gonan be hard b.c it acually dyes the crap , its not just a layer of paint on top of paint u know? so u might have to buy new panels or start trying diffrnet products that people have mentioned thats the only thing u can really do.. Good luck on the dye though. if you find anything post up so others know </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah. it isn't bad, it just i want to redo it becuase i dont think i prepped it well enough becuase some parts chip and rub off easily.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 PM

bumpp
Old 12-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Battle23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Would paint thinner hurt the plastic or vinyl in anyway?</TD></TR></TABLE>

as i already posted...the plastic/vinyl is already hurt cuz they probably sanded it down...

juss sand it a little and paint over it...unless it's chipping right now
Old 12-12-2006, 07:05 PM

Default Re: (waddy41)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waddy41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

as i already posted...the plastic/vinyl is already hurt cuz they probably sanded it down...

juss sand it a little and paint over it...unless it's chipping right now</TD></TR></TABLE>

some parts chip off easy, but the rest just rub off really easy. when i rub my finger against some parts it'll leave the color residue on my finger. but other parts are holding up fine.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:03 PM

bump again

Quick Reply: How to take off paint/dye off vinyl and plastics?