Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Best way to protect a hood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best way to protect a hood?

Well, I just picked up a used mint condition hood last night. My last one the paint started to crack it and looked horrible. It was also dented. My main concern though is to keep my new hood from having the same cracking problem. I've been through 2 stock hoods prior and for some reason, nearly all of the black ones have this problem. Maybe its the sun? Maybe its something wtih the paint? Either way I was fortunate enough to find a hood that hasnt had this issue yet, so what's a good way to prevent it?

Here's a pic of the old hood / damage:

Old 02-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best way to protect a hood? (sk8shorty012)

dont drive behind trucks
Old 02-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

im thinking about using it on my bumper and the front of the hood
Old 02-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"3M STYLE" - wouldn't put that **** on my car. I'd get the real 3M stuff if anything
Old 02-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iheartintegras)

yeah id get the real deal too... But before putting that **** on id probably put on a leather bra for DD, and take it off for shows and meets etc...

Theres no sure fire way of protecting your paint from weather, rocks etc.. its going to happen as long as the car is being driven.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 PM

That is clear coat failure; I have the same thing on my Ford Tempo, and I believe it is beyond simple repair. It's most likely caused from sun damage. You need to protect your paint by waxing it every month. You could even go a step further and use some sealant as well.
How long did you have that hood?

Here some products you might want to look into, you will need applicators for these as well:
http://autogeek.net/p2concarwax.html
http://autogeek.net/nattys-blue.html
http://autogeek.net/pbpwc12.html

Here is some seriously strong wax, normally used on boats, that is good for cars kept outside:
http://autogeek.net/collinite-fleetwax-.html
(use in a well ventilated area )
Old 02-23-2008, 01:30 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Best way to protect a hood? (drewski101)

get a clear bra.. its kidna like tint, but thicker, and clear. covers the bumper and front of the hood. best u can do. u can get them and pretty much any custom auto shop. and like said before quit tailgating ppl chips turn into cracks
Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies. I don't want a leather bra because I've heard horrible reviews about them. Secondly, I thought about the 3M type of cover coat but it's not something I'm really keen on in the first place - it'd be a last option type deal.

So, a good wash wax on a monthly (bi-weekly if possible) basis should help prevent what happened to the past hoods?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (solbrothers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solbrothers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no way! leather bras ftl. they scratch like crazy!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

true... but only if you dont ever take them off. I heard they're ok if you take em off for car washes, and you keep it clean underneath..

most people that have them never do though i think haha... its usually old people that rock em.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Thateguhate)

Pr0tekt y0 h00D

on a serious note...

If your going to repaint it make sure the prep is done right thats one good way to keep your paint from chipping. Also keep the paint protected via wax helps as well. They also have those clear films you can put on hoods etc to protect it. Sort of looks like lamin-x. For long drives.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is actually something that became sort of common on 99-00 (maybe others) Civics. I knew a guy were the paint all over the car started to look like that. if it happened soon enough, some people had the parts repainted under warranty. Its happening to my 00 Si on the hood only as far as I can tell, but it is way more obvious on a black car. I don't think there is anything you can do to keep that from happening. I had a paint/body guy call it "chicken scratch" and said it was something that was done incorrectly in the painting process. *shrug*
Old 02-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to protect a hood? (The AntiRice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The AntiRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that is actually something that became sort of common on 99-00 (maybe others) Civics. I knew a guy were the paint all over the car started to look like that. if it happened soon enough, some people had the parts repainted under warranty. Its happening to my 00 Si on the hood only as far as I can tell, but it is way more obvious on a black car. I don't think there is anything you can do to keep that from happening. I had a paint/body guy call it "chicken scratch" and said it was something that was done incorrectly in the painting process. *shrug*</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right and I believe you actually can do get some type of warranty coverage through Honda, however it might be kind of hard when..

1) I don't have the original hood
2) I have 150,000+ miles
Old 02-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, I get it. I was not saying YOU could get it done under warranty, I was just telling you that I personally knew people that had the same problem as you and had it covered under warranty...acknowledged as a *defect*. My Si only has 47k miles on it and it is also happeneing just nowhere near as bad as yours. Ive had the car since day one. Unless its gotten that bad, most of that should still be smooth to the touch becuase it happens beneath the clearcoat and works its way out. Even if you clear-bra'd your entire car it would still probably happen again. I guess be thankful you found one that isnt and hope it doesnt

Modified by The AntiRice at 5:43 PM 2/25/2008
Old 02-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Def go with the 3m film protector it wont turn yellow and if you get it put on right after paint it will look new for a long time