Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Techron

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techron

My car is fairly new, 2 years and 2 months. I purchased it certified used. In regards to gasoline. I've used BP, Gulf, and my most recent fill up was Exxon. I understand that Exxon and BP are better gas/gas stations. I've been reading up on gas stations and I think my next gas station would be at a Chevron given their additive of Techron. Question, can I add the bottle form of Techron in the gas I got from Exxon or should I wait until I use Chevron.

Currently I still have a full tank so would wait until I get to half a tank to use Techron Concentrate Plus.

And, I haven't had a oil change yet, should I do it before the oil change?

The reasons I'm thinking about all of this is because I'm reading that Chevron gas is the best for your engine in regards to cleaning. Additionally, I don't know what kind of gas the prior owner was using. My milage is at 24098 and last oil change I believe (by Honda) was at 22918 so I think (But knowing and not knowing the oil change is another topic)

Last edited by cdero; 03-04-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:51 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Techron

Originally Posted by cdero
My car is fairly new, 2 years and 2 months....

Question, can I add the bottle form of Techron in the gas I got from Chevron or should I wait until I use Chevron.
I don't even understand the question here... you're asking, can you add a bottle of Techron to the Chevron gas in your tank or should you wait until you fill up with chevron gas?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It would be better to add the bottle of concentrate just before filling up, so it mixes well with the gas, but I'm sure it would do no harm to add it to an already half full tank. If you are going to keep using Chevron, with the techron already added, you don't need to continue to use the concentrate IMO, but it's never a bad idea to add some every now and then.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MSchu
I don't even understand the question here... you're asking, can you add a bottle of Techron to the Chevron gas in your tank or should you wait until you fill up with chevron gas?
I understand why you was confused. I made the correction. I currently have Exxon in my tank, can I still put a bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus in my tank or wait until I fill up with Chevron?

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
It would be better to add the bottle of concentrate just before filling up, so it mixes well with the gas, but I'm sure it would do no harm to add it to an already half full tank. If you are going to keep using Chevron, with the techron already added, you don't need to continue to use the concentrate IMO, but it's never a bad idea to add some every now and then.
Ok, so it seems the consensus is add it prior to fill up. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have only ever filled my car with chevron, because when I don't the car seems sluggish. but hey that's just my personal preference
Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My car is fairly new, 2 years and 2 months. I purchased it certified used. In regards to gasoline. I've used BP, Gulf, and my most recent fill up was Exxon. I understand that Exxon and BP are better gas/gas stations. I've been reading up on gas stations and I think my next gas station would be at a Chevron given their additive of Techron. Question, can I add the bottle form of Techron in the gas I got from Exxon or should I wait until I use Chevron.

Currently I still have a full tank so would wait until I get to half a tank to use Techron Concentrate Plus.

And, I haven't had a oil change yet, should I do it before the oil change?

The reasons I'm thinking about all of this is because I'm reading that Chevron gas is the best for your engine in regards to cleaning. Additionally, I don't know what kind of gas the prior owner was using. My milage is at 24098 and last oil change I believe (by Honda) was at 22918 so I think (But knowing and not knowing the oil change is another topic)
Techron additive is pretty good. So good in fact that many other fuel additives are simply rebadged Techron. Add a bottle of Techron no more than once every year or two. Additional usage can/will damage the Cat and o2 sensors.(It is safe to mix with any gas)
Old 03-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, all gas is the same. I would be certain that in your area, it's all from the same refinery. The ONLY difference is the additive.

Ok, so there is a difference.

I will run a fuel Injection cleaner of whatever brand I get from Walmart at the time every 10K or 20K miles or when I remember.

I really don't think there is any differences or gain among different gas stations or brand.

Don't let the advertising fool you. There are no "bad" gas (again, from the same refinery). If one station is bad, like the underground tank is leaking and water gets in, that's a whole bigger problem.

All gasoline have additives in them. Required by law. So really...they are all the same. Like toothpaste, use any fluoride toothpaste and you'll be fine. The main thing is to bush, not the toothpaste one uses.

I have a friend who swear by Shell gas. It's his $$$ and it makes him happy. Your call, your choice.

I've always gone with the cheapest I can find for the last 30+ years, like my father before me. All the same. We burn them up as fast as we filled them.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
Honestly, all gas is the same. I would be certain that in your area, it's all from the same refinery. The ONLY difference is the additive.
That is a HUGE difference maker, and is what separates good gas from cheap gas. There may not be "bad" gas,but there most certainly is cheap gas and is the reason why there is a specified Top Tier fuel....

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
I really don't think there is any differences or gain among different gas stations or brand.

Don't let the advertising fool you. There are no "bad" gas (again, from the same refinery). If one station is bad, like the underground tank is leaking and water gets in, that's a whole bigger problem.

All gasoline have additives in them. Required by law. So really...they are all the same......
Ignorance is bliss for some,for others..... not so much.

Its one thing to give an opinion,quite another to try to pass off that opinion as fact.

You are wrong. Period.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Old Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Ignorance is bliss for some,for others..... not so much.

Its one thing to give an opinion,quite another to try to pass off that opinion as fact.

You are wrong. Period.
Ok.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can buy the cheaper gas, then add bottles of Techron to it. Or, you can buy Chevron, with Techron already in it, and leave the little bottles at the store. Buying the cheaper gas, plus the Techron, probably ends up costing just as much as buying the good gas in the first place.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks you all for your comments. Certainly I will be using Chevron next. Hopefully I get a better drive. Personally I don't like Exxon. My car does feel sluggish. I still don't like the fact that my car doesn't exhilarate smoothly. I understand my car is a 2.4 cylinder but with only 24,000 miles and dealership certified, I expect the car to pick up a little better. I see older 2.4 cylinders cars seeming being faster. Maybe its the way I'm driving. But I just expect a smoother ride.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can buy the cheaper gas, then add bottles of Techron to it. Or, you can buy Chevron, with Techron already in it, and leave the little bottles at the store. Buying the cheaper gas, plus the Techron, probably ends up costing just as much as buying the good gas in the first place.
Probably more. The little bottles of Techron are about 20 bucks each.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My oil is at 60%. I'm closely reaching empty on gas. I like to use Techron concentrated plus but should I use it when it's time to get my oil changed? I've heard that you should wait until you get the oil changed and before your next fill up.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What would Techron in your gas have to do with an oil change? The oil and gas do not mix, so one has nothing to do with the other.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well... I've heard people say that have used Techron and have smelled it in the oil. Good question that you raised. On another note, one of the replies above said it can damage the OC sensors if you use it more than two times a year. Is this true?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Noone likes Sunoco? Its the official fuel of NASCAR it says so at the Sunoco station.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What would Techron in your gas have to do with an oil change? The oil and gas do not mix, so one has nothing to do with the other.
All engines produce blowby, hence the reason for the PCV system,not just worn,or higher mileage engines as many seem to think. So the oil and gas do mix to various extents.....
Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P-M-B,93EXsedan
Noone likes Sunoco? Its the official fuel of NASCAR it says so at the Sunoco station.
Recently I started using sunoco because its closer to my house and was 15cents cheaper per gallon then the chevron I went to, and my engine hasn't had any issues with it
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I used a bottle of Techron and I feel more power already.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I used a bottle of Techron and I feel more power already.
It is 100% in your head. I promise you.

GoLowDrew isn't wrong persay. All gas sold has to meet minimum requirements. The gas you get at WaWa is going to be identical to the gas from BP in terms of those base requirements. The additives do vary, but are you *really* going to see any noticeable performance difference between them? No.

And you certainly aren't going to notice any difference immediately by pouring **** into the tank.

Below are a list of all the "Top Tier" gas vendors in the US that meet the base requirements for additives. You'll notice most all your common stations are listed.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 04-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan

GoLowDrew isn't wrong persay. All gas sold has to meet minimum requirements. The gas you get at WaWa is going to be identical to the gas from BP in terms of those base requirements. The additives do vary, but are you *really* going to see any noticeable performance difference between them? No.

And you certainly aren't going to notice any difference immediately by pouring **** into the tank.

Below are a list of all the "Top Tier" gas vendors in the US that meet the base requirements for additives. You'll notice most all your common stations are listed.

I understand the power of suggestibility, but I can most certainly feel the difference in the way my car drives after pouring Techron Plus in the tank prior to fill up. Maybe it's the fill up given that the car runs better on a full tank. However, I do feel faster and smoother accelerations.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GoLowDrew isn't wrong persay.
No.He was wrong.
All gas sold has to meet minimum requirements.
And do you know what they are? Heres a clue,they are very, very minimal and the refinery where the oil is burned in plays a huge role in how the gas comes out.....
The gas you get at WaWa is going to be identical to the gas from BP in terms of those base requirements.
True. But the additives are what seperate top tier gas from garbage.....
The additives do vary, but are you *really* going to see any noticeable performance difference between them? No.
"Performance" is hardly the reason for the various add packages.....
Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Old Member

No.He was wrong.
You can believe what you want. And if you want to be sold by advertising that's fine. I used to be a part owner of a gas station (ARCO), with my uncle who owns 3 other gas stations, Arco and Independent. In "my station" there was a Chevron and Shell across the street.

All the gasoline (Northern CA- SF bay area) comes from the same refinery in Richmond, CA. I order them. We all know each other and owners of the station across the street, including the deliver drivers. Same gas. Same standards. Only the additives are different.

Yes, Chevron and Shell cost more. You pay more. Customers are happy. Everyone is happy.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, you saying the additives don't do anything?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"Performance" is hardly the reason for the various add packages.....
What he said. The reason I got it is because of the cleaning that it does but I do notice a better drive.

Quick Reply: Techron