Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Question about Honda Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Honda Fluids

After recently having a terrible experience at the Honda dealer, I am now taking my accord to a highly rated family owned independent mechanic. The only thing I'm concerned about, is the fluids they may use in my Accord.

For example, coolant. Do I really have to use Honda Coolant? It says in the owners manual to use a "high quality" coolant that does not contain silicates. I've been using a Prestone 50/50 coolant (does not contain silicates) for the past 6 years, with no trouble, and the next time I go in, I am going to have the coolant flushed. Should I buy Honda Type 2 coolant and have them use that?

What about the Brake fluid and PS fluid? Do those HAVE to be Honda?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question about Honda Fluids

Get your parts/fluids at another Honda dealer, or online and have the new mechanic use those parts.

ATF, P/S, Coolant, should always be OEM. Honda's last a long time. This is why if a part goes, I replace it with a Honda part/fluid so I don't have to worry about it for a long time.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Question about Honda Fluids

Originally Posted by HA0589
After recently having a terrible experience at the Honda dealer, I am now taking my accord to a highly rated family owned independent mechanic. The only thing I'm concerned about, is the fluids they may use in my Accord.

For example, coolant. Do I really have to use Honda Coolant? It says in the owners manual to use a "high quality" coolant that does not contain silicates. I've been using a Prestone 50/50 coolant (does not contain silicates) for the past 6 years, with no trouble, and the next time I go in, I am going to have the coolant flushed. Should I buy Honda Type 2 coolant and have them use that?

What about the Brake fluid and PS fluid? Do those HAVE to be Honda?
Ask the shop what type of fluid they use. ALL independent repair shops that are truly of "high quality" will only use OEM fluids that are of a proprietary blend(coolant,trans fluid, some diff fluids and transfer case fluids) as it is easy for them to obtain and shops in the know have no problem using them. If the shop you are going to tries to feed you some BS that all fluids are the same,then run away and run away fast.....

(BTW I worked in a dealer for 7 years and now work in the Indy sector for the last 13 years)