Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

How to drain power steering fluid?

Old 12-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to drain power steering fluid?

I would like to change my power steering fluid. How do I do this in the least messy way?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: How to drain power steering fluid?

I've never done it, but this is what I've read. Raise the reservoir out of it's holder, place a container under the reservoir, and remove the return hose (top hose). Start the engine, and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, to remove the old fluid. Replace the hose on the reservoir, and fill with new fluid. With engine running, turn steering wheel from lock to lock, and fill reservoir as necessary, until all air is removed from system. Personally, I sucked every bit of fluid I could from the reservoir, then refilled with fresh fluid. I did this before the fluid was really dirty, so I took the easy way out. There is not much room, to place a container under the reservoir, and the drive belt is too close to that area, with the engine running, for me to try that. I have a V6, so there may be more room with the 4 cylinder engine.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:35 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
Raise the reservoir out of it's holder, place a container under the reservoir, and remove the return hose (top hose). Start the engine, and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, to remove the old fluid.
Don't do this unless you want to risk damaging the pump. Running the pump dry even for a short time will screw it up.

FWIW, power steering fluid doesn't really need to be changed, even if it appears dirty. If you absolutely must, then just suck as much fluid out of the reservoir as you can with a suction bulb and replace with clean fluid.

One thing is important: Use only genuine Honda power steering fluid or a power steering fluid formulated specifically for use in Honda vehicles.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i understand that the honda seals inside the pump are sensitive.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R
Don't do this unless you want to risk damaging the pump. Running the pump dry even for a short time will screw it up.

FWIW, power steering fluid doesn't really need to be changed, even if it appears dirty. If you absolutely must, then just suck as much fluid out of the reservoir as you can with a suction bulb and replace with clean fluid.

One thing is important: Use only genuine Honda power steering fluid or a power steering fluid formulated specifically for use in Honda vehicles.
So is the service manual wrong, or am I mis-reading it? I only did what you suggested, but I wonder what's up.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

am i suppose to drain the top or bottom tube from the reservoir? im just draining the fluid from the reservoir and refilling it. im not going to be turning the wheel.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Logically more will come out, if you remove the bottom hose, but using something to suck the fluid out (another good use for my brake bleeding vacuum pump, but a turkey baster will work I suppose), from the top, is potentially less messy. You don't want this stuff on your painted surfaces.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there anyway to move the pump out of its bracket? it seems like it will come off but theres a bolt underneath it.